Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon on the flight line...

Actually, the obvious candidate is some 1/24th scale groundcrew to be swarming all over it and giving all of that lovely detail some context!

After that I'd be happy with a Spitfire IX/XVI or XIV in that scale.

Wez

I wonder if the groundcrew/equipment will come from the aftermarket sector; other than decals it does't look like Airfix have given them too many opportunities to enhance this offering.

Congratulations, incredible build and finish. Much kudos to Airfix for producing this masterpiece as well. Now how do I hide one from the Mrs?

Edited by mekon

I am not the biggest fan of the subject if I am honest but that truely is a work of art both on your part and that of Airfix who have been so impressive of late, long may it continue. Congratulations on this wonderful build, it is seeing talent like this that has brought me back to the hobby I used to love as a child in the hope I can gain half of the talent you have. I look forward to reading the full build review in the next issue of the mag.

In the Modelling Oscars that would have won both best model by a model maker and best model by a manufacturer! Take a bow Steve and Airfix!

That is truly a stunning model. One That I would have loved to have seen in person. You sir truly have a skill.

This is what is depressing about the old Modelzone gone. That after a year or so I wont be able to get this for £50. ;)

It's a no brainer…..I really don't want to grow up….EVER. This is fantastic, a superb build. I am as excited as I was when I bought my first Airfix "Super Kit", a new red stripe Spitfire 1a back in…...

This is a stunning build and the kit looks insanely good.

Just might be out of my reach in regards to price, SWMBO will castrate me for spending around £90 on a kit at the moment

All I can do is repeat what every body else has said! Stunning! One thing, though - is there any room for adding extra detail?!!! Looks like Airfix and yourself have everything covered.

Steve

Absolutely stupendous build. Got a significant birthday coming up, I know what the Field Marsha can get me now.

Don't suppose we'll see it in The Voice?

Pete

Need to lie down in a darkened room now. :jealous:

An Airix kit with that much unseen detail ?

Are they finally pandering to the wants of serious modellers who may want to customise their kits without having to resort to scratch building ?

That kit looks absolutely great and makes me wonder if it's worth them re-releasing the 1/24 Mossie ?

A new mould Spitfire, Hurricane, Me109, FW190, Mustang and Ju87 would complete the set.

I'd love to see all those together in one place.

That is a superb build.

Congratulations to both you and the young designer of the kit I spoke to at Telford.

I hope you are both very proud of what you have made.

Tony (with one on order from Hattons)

Hadn't even thought about what Airfix's test shots would look like under a coat of paint. A first rate build of what appears to be an excellent kit; part of me thinks "roll on release date", the other half: "hmmmm have I got the modelling ability to do it justice."

The kit has no vices Richard, so yes, despite it being rated in a higher skill band buy and enjoy. The mag article outlines the only small point I found to watch for.

I was looking forward to June..... And now I cannot bloody well wait !!!

That is absolutely magnificent.. The text is a great read, however there is no need for words when the subject is that good..

Cheers.. And very very well done... Dave.

Thanks RL - I would've included words but...I put up over 50 images and that process is pretty laborious I regret + I've done a full build article that will backfill that part ;-)

I need this. And I only wish I can do 1/2 the justice to the actual kit you have done to the test shot. Beautiful model and beautiful build. Thank you for sharing. Now where can I pre-order?

Hi G - Again, don't pay that no mind. You'll have the benefit of being able to spend more time on it than I did, so just buy and enjoy - it's epic.

Oh my gosh- that is incredible. I am either going to see my entire stash or my soul, whichever is easier, to get one.

Lol. Please - hang on to your soul...

Oh crap - more expenditure............ :)

Anyone want to buy a kidney?

Graham

Double lol.

Stunning labour of love Steve,one to be very proud of! everything about this kit cries Quality and you have done it justice,If Airfix bring this kit in at

the right price and it sells well enough for them to consider other aircraft in this scale there will be a lot of happy modellers out there!

Thanks Steve. The retail will be £99.00 I believe. The parts breakdown are set for a car door to be produced...

In essence, this kit contains everything you need to produce any of the bubble top variants - two types of rockets, bombs, drop tanks, the lot.

Highly impressive, any problems with construction...or is it Tamiya looking from the pics......

Tnx!

Tom

Hi Tom:

I confess that when I laid up the initial core parts, I thought 'this is going to have to come together exactly right, if not to cascade issues further down the build'. I test fitted the parts onto the lower wing section without glue and was astounded by the near perfect fit - again, all without glue. Pick up a copy of the mag for the rest of the build...;-)

A general thanks to everyone else offering a thumbs up and not raising specific queries. I regret I'll have to limit myself to just covering off the necessary responses so again, my personal thanks to everyone else for your kindness.

Steve

Exquisite detail in the kit, and a breathtaking build. My goodness Steve, you made it look so life like! I would love a Master Class from you some day ;)

Thanks D - but truly, I'm no master. I was saying to Chris at AMW that I can't wait to see what the world's top modellers do with this lovely production and as time unfolds, they'll start coming to light.

Your point about being shown how things are done is my greatest frustration in modelling. There is absolutely no doubt, that being there in person, is the most valuable way to impart information and technique.

As an example of that, when my eldest son was only 13 years old, it took only 10 minutes to have him reliably airbrushing a single colour finish, without runs or premature drying. That is a topic that can occupy broad sections of a DVD or quite some narrative in a magazine or book, while neither being as effective as the person to person option.

I guess what I am saying, is if you can attach yourself to a decent club, that is perhaps the best way of gaining access to the kind of demonstrations you refer to.

Unless you live somewhere in reach of South London and I can then shock you with the state of the modelling bunker...lol.

Take it easy.

Steve