Luftwaffe Bomber Trio 1:48, Airfix Stuka Ju87-B, Revell Bf110 G2 , Me262 FINISHED

Back to the garage for a coat of RLM 71 on the stuka now. Pics to follow later.

• Like 1

More paint and a little experimentation with the photography;

IMG_5270_zpseb761af3.jpg

IMG_5271_zps84536425.jpg

IMG_5272_zpsaef70bbc.jpg

IMG_5274_zpsec6fbbae.jpg

IMG_5275_zpsb5465e75.jpg

IMG_5277_zps3cb1560f.jpg

So having forgotten to pre-shade, I went back, pre-shaded and repainted the RLM 76. The results look much better, so much more depth.

The Stuka has received a top coat of RLM 71 in preparation for RLM 70 splinter camo and then something over the top :)

I've made a mistake near the stuka gear and will have to go back and repaint that.

Bizarrely, before painting the top coat on the stuka, I cleaned the airbrush with my usual cleaner on 40 psi. I forgot to turn it down again and started spraying the RLM 70 - I normally spray at 18psi and the paint went on beautifully! I thought lower was better but it worked really well for coverage!

• Like 3

Glad you managed to sort out the painting - you're right - they do look better with the pre-shading. They're coming along well and you've still got over two weeks left! Looking forward to see how these turn out.

Excellent progress. All three are looking really good.

Tom.

Incredible pace you show here. And that with an amazing quality. This is really nice to watch :popcorn:

Rene

Thanks for the kind comments!

Glad you managed to sort out the painting - you're right - they do look better with the pre-shading. They're coming along well and you've still got over two weeks left! Looking forward to see how these turn out.

Thanks, pre-shading is subtle, but subtle variations in the give it such depth. So easy with an airbrush and so quick too! I must have spent an least four hours just spraying RLM 76 so far...

I haven't mentioned what schemes I'm painting these, I have a definite plan which will be revealed as I paint and decal these birds.

I didn't do much last night, just masked two models ready for the next coat.

Edited by Jherek
  • Like 1

Next coat - quite subtle, but that's the effect. The final finish won't be subtle.

IMG_5283_zpsf534a603.jpg

IMG_5280_zps52392cdc.jpg

Used a new diffuser today, the sky :)

Edited by Jherek
  • Like 6

Great splinter! I'm a big fan of the sky for diffuse light as well, but I'm finding it hard as we head into winter since while the light is *very* diffuse there's precious little of it...

W

• Like 1

I'm starting to feel the pressure now, it's hard work keeping the motivation going when you have three projects on the go at once. The painting has gone well. No dramas. The canopies have not behaved so well. The paint just didn't adhere well to the Bf110 canopy and bits have come off as I removed the mask, so more touching up is required. maybe I should have primed it first? I only masked the back half of the stuka canopy and hand painted the rest, so it's a bit rough. I haven't glued the canopies yet, they are just placed on for these photos.

IMG_5298_zpsda8a9fbe.jpg

IMG_5302_zpsbeec52e8.jpg

IMG_5293_zps0f37f491.jpg

There's a few more bits to stick on now (tailwheels, exhausts, landing lights) but I'm temped to seal and decal them first.

Now they are more of less painted, I will reveal the decals for these models.

Stuka -

Eagle Decals 'T6 + AN' , 5./St.G.2, Sept 41, 'Y'know, the one with the snake'

Bf110 G2-

Start 'Luftwaffe im Focus 3' - 'Brockenhexe' S9+LP, 6./ZG 1, Lorient Autumn 1943.

Evidence for this aircraft appears a bit patchy and based on one photograph, this aircraft serial definitely existed as a Bf110 C7 on the eastern front.

The profile on the decals shows no theatre (yellow) markings, so this is how I've painted it. The nose maybe incorrect but I don't have the bits to change it.

I don't know if the aircraft should have external fuel tanks or not.

• Like 3

Ha, I was hoping for the snake. I like the contrast between the neat green splinter and the presumably field-applied yellow?

Sorry about the canopies, although they look fine in the pictures! Did they have mould release on or something? Reminds me I need to wash some of the ship detail parts which feel a bit greasy.

Will

Ha, I was hoping for the snake. I like the contrast between the neat green splinter and the presumably field-applied yellow?

Sorry about the canopies, although they look fine in the pictures! Did they have mould release on or something? Reminds me I need to wash some of the ship detail parts which feel a bit greasy.

Will

Hehe, It's probably a bit clichéd but I like it. Yes, factory splinter and field applied yellow was the effect I was going for!

Maybe I forgot to wash the canopy, it's possible and that would explain the paint issues.

Keep the mojo going. You are doing a great job and the finish line is in sight....

Thanks! The decaling has started.

I have to agree with everyone. These are coming along very well. Excellent mottling on the 110.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, glad you like the mottling, I'm feeling more confident with the airbrush now. I'm tempted to buy something a little more upmarket than my Iwata CN.

• Like 1

Thanks! The decaling has started.

Thanks Tom, glad you like the mottling, I'm feeling more confident with the airbrush now. I'm tempted to buy something a little more upmarket than my Iwata CN.

Never tried the Iwata range. I recently upgraded to the H&S Ultra and have never looked back. Keep up the good work.

Tom.

Hello Jherek are you on a holiday or something? :) how you finding time to do that?...Good job so far and I can't wait the results

Cheers

No, I just snatch time when I can, i.e. I'm not getting enough sleep. Plus I'm getting quicker with the airbrush, it takes about half an hour to spray one colour. It would take me a hell of lot longer to brush paint these models. The mottling on the Bf110 probably took twenty minutes.

Late last nights work, decals 90% done -

IMG_5304_zps714a14cd.jpg

IMG_5305_zps6f14a74f.jpg

IMG_5307_zps7438c1af.jpg

The photos were done in a bit of rush while eating breakfast :)

Edited by Jherek
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I've been on holiday and lost the modelling mojo, I think I've been over-doing it!

Anyway, the Stuka needs a little more weathering and then it will be finished.

The Bf110 has all the decals on and will be finished soon.

I don't think the me262 is going to make it for the deadline as it still needs painting and my planned paint job is a little complicated.

• Like 2

Despite spending most of the day doing other stuff with my lovely wife, I've managed to finish the stuka this evening. Since my last update, I've airbrushed a heavily thinned and lighter coat of sand brown to pull back the colour, added exhaust stains using airbrushed tamiya smoke, done some chipping, added the canopy, bombs and fiddly things that stick out and matt varnished the model. I'll photograph it tomorrow.

• Like 2

"Das Stuka Lied"

English Translation from a Nazi Propaganda film;

Many black birds roam
Highly over country and sea,
And where they appear, there flees
The enemies away from them.
They let themselves fall suddenly
From the sky down to the ground.
They strike with their claws
The opponent in the middle in the heart.

Refrain:

We are the black Hussars of the sky,
The Stukas, the Stukas, theStukas!
Always ready, when duty calls us,
The Stukas, the Stukas, the Stukas!
We fall from the sky and slam shut.
We aren’t afraid of hell and will not give in,
Until finally the enemy is laying in the soil,
To England, to England, until England is defeated,
The Stukas, the Stukas, the Stukas!

When thousand lightnings flame,
Our sirens threaten with danger,
They always hold together like iron,
Comrades in life and death!
If booty is present,
Then everybody knows,
Nothing can escape their eyes,
The dive bombers, as eagles equal but from steel!

Refrain:

They are spoiling and sow death
Sirens over the enemy country.
The tracks are rubble and pieces of broken glass
And blazing sky fire.
It goes already into all landing
Their name goes from mouth to mouth.
They strike the factories to nothing,
The ships they send to the bottom of the sea.

And here we have the original weapon of terror :

IMG_5521_zps51d782f3.jpg

IMG_5518_zps3e8409ca.jpg

IMG_5524_zpsb20ee180.jpg

IMG_5526_zpse10a2ee1.jpg

IMG_5531_zpsc8e424d3.jpg

Thanks for watching and now I need to ride my bike. Modelling later.

• Like 6