Luftwaffe Bomber Trio 1:48, Airfix Stuka Ju87-B, Revell Bf110 G2 , Me262 FINISHED

Ok, I'd like to finish these before the the end of the group build -

IMG_5055_zpsba1fec26.jpg

So I thought I'd build these in parallel, since they share colours, I hope to save time batch painting bits of them.

We have

1:48 Airfix Stuka Ju87-B

Ebay £9.99.

IMG_5067_zpsadbc2ab8.jpg

A kit for 1981 with lot of raised rivets. I've no idea how accurate / good this kit is. Any advice is welcome.

Next up

1:48 Revell Bf110 G2/R3

Ebay £10

IMG_5069_zps2559e545.jpg

This looks like the hardest build of the group, apparently there are accuracy and fit issues, but I won't be deviating from the stock parts.

I would have prefered to build the G4 Nightfighter, but I couldn't get it for less than a tenner so here we are.

The kit actually includes some of the G4 parts, i.e the nose, "thing under the fuselage" but is missing the night exhaust cowls and radar aerials.

And finally,

1: 48 Revell Me262 A1-a

Ebay £9.99

IMG_5070_zpse6410aa1.jpg

This is a re-box of the 1978 Monogram kit with some new parts.

I will be building this one as a Me 262 A2-a to fit the paint and decal scheme I have in mind.

I will be using third party decals for all of these models as I have particular paint schemes in mind and the stock decals are all boring :)

Edited by Jherek
  • Like 2

Thanks!

Sprues are all washed, but before I start I've been studying the instructions and figuring out which parts should be which RLM colours, which isn't easy as the instructions are, *cough* *cough* lacking.

The airfix stuka paint instructions are 'sparse', what colour should the interior of the massive air intake under the engine be? and the grill in there?

The me262 paint instructions are, how shall I put this? b*ll*cks.

The bf110 - the cockpit is big and quite detailed, but I can't tell what should be RLM 66 and what should be 'Anthracite' (Revell 9) (what RLM colour is this supposed to be?)

Si

Wow - I would like to finish the two I started almost three months ago :-)

Will be intersting - those "obsolete" kits have a certain "flair" IMHO.

Rene

"flair" is that a by-word for "dodgy" :)

These are going to be good. :thumbsup:

I hope so.

Hi Jherek you planning to do all 3 in same time?! that's going to be cool :)

I have paint interior of my 110 using rlm66 from valejjo

cheers

That's the one!

Brave man. I'm looking forward to this...

Will be watching with interest........ I know I wouldn't be able to finish half of one of those in that time! Good luck!

Yeah I've set the bar high but I've nearly finished prepping two kits for primer already! The me262 is probably the worst model I've built for a while and the airfix

stuka construction is giving me flashbacks to my childhood, so simple with loads of raised rivets which I'm going to ignore. These kits could do with surgery and scratch building but I don't think I'll have the time

and the effort is going to be in the paint job.

• Like 1

Two evenings work -

IMG_5073_zps97020cba.jpg

Airfix kit 95% off the sprues, cleaned and assembled where possible.

IMG_5073_zps97020cba.jpg

And the me262....

IMG_5076_zps6cbbfc5a.jpg

But seriously! I can imagine the conversation, "Copyright on the inside!?!?!? Nah, they won't read it, let's force they to sand it off!"

• Like 3

Ok,

1:48 Airfix Stuka Ju87-B

Ebay £9.99.

A kit for 1981 with lot of raised rivets. I've no idea how accurate / good this kit is. Any advice is welcome.

The Airfix Stuka is decent, it was done a few years after their 1/24th scale one,[ which is one of the best of their 1/24th kits.]

The Stuka was a rivetty old beast, and this kit is spoken of highly, Airfix 1/48 kits from this era were well shaped, and not badly detailed for the time. The 1/48th Mosquito is the best of them.

Alternative schemes for a B/R...Italian, Hungarian, captured Yugoslav partisan ...

The fin might be a bit high, well, it is compared to the Monogram and Hasegawa kits. Don't know which is correct as yet.

The Bf110G has issues with the engine nacelles, too big or small.

http://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/luft/cleaver110g.htm

The kit assembles easily and makes up into a largely-accurate model of this airplane.

That said, the engine cowlings, spinners and propellers are not as accurate as they could be.

The Monogram 262 is still rated as having the best shape of all the 1/48th 262's apparently [a German member who seemed up on this said this recently]

bear in mind, the late 70's was also a golden era for Monogram kits, and this was done on the back of the immaculate restoration of the Smithsonian Me262, Scale Models had a feature on the kit and restoration in the June 1979 issue IIRC....

Thanks!

Sprues are all washed, but before I start I've been studying the instructions and figuring out which parts should be which RLM colours, which isn't easy as the instructions are, *cough* *cough* lacking.

The airfix stuka paint instructions are 'sparse', what colour should the interior of the massive air intake under the engine be? and the grill in there?

The me262 paint instructions are, how shall I put this? b*ll*cks.

The bf110 - the cockpit is big and quite detailed, but I can't tell what should be RLM 66 and what should be 'Anthracite' (Revell 9) (what RLM colour is this supposed to be?)

Si

Anthracite 9 will be RLM 66, it's a dark grey, whose formulation got changes 9 times IIRC..

The inside of the stuka air intake will be the underside colour. The grill, hmm. Have a search for the Chicago Stuka, the only original B left, [as opposed to salvaged wrecks]

blog-stuka_mg_2323.jpg?w=600

...but as the Stuka was a Nazi icon, look for colour propaganda pics from Signal eg

wartime Signal pic, note this is a B-1 and can't be built from the Airfix kit without some work

A-color-photo-Junkers-Ju-87B1-Stuka-6.St

A-color-photo-Junkers-Ju-87B2-Stuka-9.St

A-color-photo-Junkers-Ju-87R2-Stuka-unkn

I'd say intake is underside colour, as are grill bars, rad core will be black I think

have a hunt here for a lot more photos

http://www.asisbiz.com/Ju-87-Stuka.html

HTH

T

• Like 1

A little progress -

IMG_5180_zpsa5ca1771.jpg

I can't believe how long it took to mask this!

The rest of the Bf110 parts are ready for primer, more photos to follow later.

Edited by Jherek
  • Like 2

I can't believe how long it took to mask this!

I can - that's a lot of masking! I am interested too to know what you used.

Priming production line -

unnamed_zps2c01d548.jpg

Thankfully it's not too cold in the garage. That's 90% of the non-fuselage/wings pieces primed in one go. The fuselages only received paint inside.

Tomorrow I'll batch airbrush all the RLM 02 parts and maybe the RLM 66 if I have time.

Edited by Jherek

You've got the best option for the Monogram Me262 there Jherek. As well as additional parts the raised panel lines were replaced by engraved ones which made the kit MUCH better IMHO.

The wings may be a little flat and need a touch more dihedral and the leading edge flaps were usually deployed on the ground. But it is an extremely good kit especially the fit considering it's age.

@Troy I agree about the Ju87 as well. Airfix captured the 'Battleship' design very well I think.

Any way you cut it you've got very good value for money!

Edited by SleeperService
  • Like 1

You've got the best option for the Monogram Me262 there Jherek. As well as additional parts the raised panel lines were replaced by engraved ones which made the kit MUCH better IMHO.

Hi Nick

No, AFAIK [and looking at the sprue shots] the Monogram never got engraved panel lines, pity, BUT Revell of Germany also reboxed the Dragon Me262, which does have engraved panel lines and could cause confusion.

Hi Nick

No, AFAIK [and looking at the sprue shots] the Monogram never got engraved panel lines, pity, BUT Revell of Germany also reboxed the Dragon Me262, which does have engraved panel lines and could cause confusion.

Hi Troy

Upon reflection I think you are right. My memory isn't all it should be and a close look at Jherek's photo above seems to prove your point. Every day I learn something new....

This page does a comprehensive comparison of the me262 kits -

http://www.oocities.org/me262page/Me262-How-to.htm

And details how you should build them, down to cutting off the slats / flaps and repositioning them - I'd like to try but I don't have correct tools / filler.

Not a massive amount of progress over the past few days, I've been enjoying the sunshine.

I spent hours on Friday evening batch painting parts...

20140502_181729_zpsf85b435a.jpg

That's only half it! This shot doesn't include the parts painted RLM 66.

I've done a little assembly as well -

IMG_5193_zps30ed878e.jpg

Ok, I should be painting the cockpits, but I've been distracted...

Edited by Jherek
  • Like 3

A bit more progress, lots of things getting done in parallel.

The me262 is ready to be built once the cockpit is ready. Note the inclusion of only the lower canons as I'm building the A2-a variant.

IMG_5195_zps73adaef1.jpg

The Stuka interior needs more work I feel. I don't have a lot of material about the cockpit to go on.

IMG_5196_zps28b42366.jpg

I'm pleased with the progress of the Bf110, the detail is really nice but again I don't have alot of pics to go on.

IMG_5194_zps06990f73.jpg

The left hand instrument panel is from the me262, it comes with a set of decals which I have not applied yet.

The middle panel is for the Bf110, no decals but lots of raised detail which I have painted.

The right hand panel is the airfix stuka and the most basic with no detail on the dials at all. I've painted and then scratched on needles etc to give it some detail.

Thanks for looking,

Si

• Like 4