- MIG 23 MF- 1/48

- From Trumpy, mostly OOB excepted the wheels and their mud gards , the nose probe and of course the DDR decals

021_zps03cb2b83.jpg

020_zps682240a2.jpg

019_zps7317c727.jpg

015_zpsb9879a3b.jpg

014_zps2cfc0138.jpg

013_zpsd53df425.jpg

008_zps4ed4409d.jpg

003_zpsc43e5e96.jpg

002_zpscc5af11c.jpg

007_zpsd41604b7.jpg

006_zps8b128497.jpg

- I ve found the main manding gear a bit tricky but nothing which could be easily overcome

• Like 4

very nice model !

like the subtle weathering on this dark scheme!

I think though this one is more an MF than an ML.

The vertical stabilizer/ fin are quite different on those!

Regards,

• Like 2

very nice model !

like the subtle weathering on this dark scheme!

The vertical stabilizer/ fin are quite different on those!

Regards,

- OF course you are right, it is an MF not an ML, this onelack the long fin extension on the spine. Please accept my apologyzes for this non intentional misidentification mistake

• Like 1

On the other hand, Trumpy's MF has so many ML features...

One point only: There was no bort 532 in the GDR AF (maybe you meant 582?).

Anyway, I'm always happy to see GDR planes and you met the camo colour quite good! And the MF is a part of my youth...

EDIT: Obviously you took the M kit, so the canopy strut is missing.

Edited by Floggerman
  • Like 1

On the other hand, Trumpy's MF has so many ML features...

One point only: There were no bort 532 in the GDR AF (maybe you meant 582?).

Anyway, I'm always happy to see GDR planes and you met the camo colour quite good! And the MF is a part of my youth...

-I,m happy to have bring you back some years ago, I think that modellism is made for this too.

- About the bort number, I'm not specialized enough in LuftstreitkrÄfte to be aware of this detail and strangely the documentation about this period is rather scarce, but I thank you for your notice and I will search my decals spare box to correct this.

- Th epaint I used are for most the Revell acrylics. A few monthes ago I built a DDR Mig 21F-13 using the same paints

019_zpsfb08e2b1.jpg

018_zpsa0a67552.jpg

- As for the Flogger the Bort Nummer may be wrong........Verzeihensie mich.......

- My next Flogger will be an UM with Neomega transkit . I;ll try to be right this time I ever you had some photos I will be very happy. You can reach me by P.M

- OF course you are right, it is an MF not an ML, this onelack the long fin extension on the spine. Please accept my apologyzes for this non intentional misidentification mistake

definitely no apologies necessary here!!!

it is possible to change the thread title afterwards as well, so less confusion for the rest!

looking forward to you twinseater!!

here you can see my UB build: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=269738

Let me know whatever you need - I've got a lot of material.

- Thank you Floggerman

-I ve seen your model I though previously that all Flogger where camouflaged and I learn a lot of things.For the canopy glazing joints I use permanent ink pencils, it is easier to use than decals and more precise notably on the rounded parts on the winshield

- Did you find problems with the Neomega transkit ?

- Out side the nose of course is there other mods to be applied to the Trumpy model to be as close as possible to the real machines ?

- Do you know in which range were the Bort Nummern applied to the DDR UM ?

definitely no apologies necessary here!!!

it is possible to change the thread title afterwards as well, so less confusion for the rest!

looking forward to you twinseater!!

-I tried but without success.......Only the webmaster can help.....

- Do you know in which range were the Bort Nummern applied to the DDR UM ?

Let me answer this first:

Complete record of GDR UB's is:

100 JG-9 Peenemuende (Fighter Sqdr)

101 JBG-37 Drewitz (Fighter Bomber Sqdr) (crashed June, 17th 1987)

102 JBG-37

103 JG-9

104 JBG-37

105 JBG-37

106 JG-9

107 JG-9

108 JG-9 (crashed Oct. 3rd 1983)

109 JG-9 (see my model, the only one delivered in grey, soon camo applied)

110 JG-9 (crashed May, 21st 1986)

more info will follow

Rgds

Tom

• Like 1

- Did you find problems with the Neomega transkit ?

- Out side the nose of course is there other mods to be applied to the Trumpy model to be as close as possible to the real machines ?

- If you have some experience with resin kits, it should be not a problem. Quality is - as usual - very high.

- I used on all my Floggers (there's a BN too) the Eduard PE for outside. The splitter plates are excellent (I don't like Trumpy's in both 32 and 48 scale). From this set you'll get also the correct wheel hubs for the front gear (Trumpy's are for ML) and many more (a lot of small details like the prominent RSBN (=ILS) antenna under the nose ("fork"missing). Unfortunately the front gear steering is wrong on both M and MF kits (the difference of these two kits is only the canopy). This detail is very prominent, I've scratched it on both BN (not happy with the result) and UB (a little better). Big issue is the main gear as Trumpy's design shows more the ML (longer main actuator). You can achieve the correct sit of the plane (M, MF, BN and UB are tail-sitters) and the correct look of the the wheel well doors only as a compromise (at least with my limited skills).

I used the Aires wheel wells (great stuff! - and Trumpy's are wrong). Decals I used are from TOM (best GDR insignias and bort on the market, available from Lindenhill http://lindenhillimports.com/tom.htm)

EDIT: One thing I forgot: Most (all?) UB's based on the M, i.e. the haven't the double rudder damper (like MF). Trumpy's M kit is wrong in this aspect, but with a little filler and some scratching it can be done.

Edited by Floggerman
  • Like 1

- Thank you for these very useful tips, I have no problem with resin and I've already used several Neomega kit. I think building a BN is feasable using Academy Mig 27 nose grafted to a Trumpy fuselage with some adaptation, but till now I've not found the way to get the right bigger and sloppy windshield, I think of making a master and entering some molding job .

I think building a BN is feasable using Academy Mig 27 nose grafted to a Trumpy fuselage with some adaptation,

Academy MiG-27? Did I missed something? Or did you mean ESCII/Hobbycraft? In this case: NEVER!!! The nose of both (nearly identical) kits is simply a desaster and has nothing of a "duck nose" MiG. I made mine from the long-time oop Kazan conversion. I don't understand that nobody comes out with a set for the now existing (and w/o doubt far better) Trumpy. Come on, Neomega!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234937449-mig-23bn-trumpeter-148/?hl=mig-23bn

Edited by Floggerman