1/24 Revell Gemini (Hatch install 27/04/14)

My goal with this kit is to just add some basic details and get a nice looking model from this old kit. I have bought some lovely aftermarket decals from Space Model Systems and hope with them and some bits and bobs I can make something reasonable.

So far I have put together and begun painting the crew. One of the figures I modified to add a little animation to the very static pose.

Gemini04.jpg

Bit better close up of the finished crewman.

Gemini01.jpg

Today found me working on roughing out the capsule and interior. I have removed the ejection seats from the back wall as i plan to add some details to the basic kit seats and install them separately.

Gemini05.jpg

The reaction motors where drilled out and the shingels re-scribed and tidied up ( still have a lot of work to do on the very nose.)

Gemini08.jpg

Gemini07.jpg

Started work on some tabs and bracing to locate the interior within the capsule shell. Most of the kit fits well enough but a lot of the details are soft.

I hope to add a few details to make the kit at least more representational of the Gemini spacecraft. Next on my list is working out how i will hinge the doors as I don't like the simple loose pivot that comes with the kit.

Thank you for dropping in for a look.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 1

Thanks Billy.

A bit of progress that cost me all day messing about sad.png

Gemini09.jpg

Gemini10.jpg

I know it's not 100 percent accurate but once I thicken and add detail to the hatches it will be all right. At the very least the hatch sits very flush closed and opens to 90 degrees as in the photos.

Lots of fiddling about with 1mm brass wire and some styrene tube. Now I just have to get the other one to work biggrin.png

I think it's time for a beer...

Dan