Tamiya Mazda Eunos Roadster

Hello all,

I've recently got back into this hobby as I now work part-time. After a short wait for some metallic paint, I should really make a start! I'm quite rusty so I think I'd better re-learn the basics on a cheap kit...

tumblr_n4lnch4Mlz1tw99exo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4lnch4Mlz1tw99exo2_1280.jpg

^ This Mazda Eunos Roadster was £8 during the Hobby Craft New Year sale, it's very reminiscent of the wonderful 1960's Lotus Elan. I like this Eunos version rather than the MX-5 as it comes with the Hardtop option. There really isn't much to this kit, so hopefully I can get it done in a week...

tumblr_n4lnch4Mlz1tw99exo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4lnch4Mlz1tw99exo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4lnch4Mlz1tw99exo5_1280.jpg

^ Yesterday, I started on the running gear. Despite the flare like reflection, this isn't the fabled Alcald lacquer. A few weeks ago, I did a quick test spray with the Tamiya metallics I bought with the kit and they leave a bit to be desired as the metallic powder is far too coarse for the scale. I needed an alternative that preferably wasn't a Lacquer.
After a bit of searching, I bought some metallic paint by Coat D'Arms, this paint is a water based acrylic paint. The finish is absolutely superb and the metallic powder is very fine, very close to Alclad even. It was a challenge to spray at first though. I used de-ionised water with flow enhancer as a thinner, which was great for brush painting but without a retarder for spraying, the paint often dried on the tip of the airbrush. Lower PSI and spraying 'wetter' coats helped reduce this.
tumblr_n4lnch4Mlz1tw99exo6_1280.jpg
tumblr_n4lnch4Mlz1tw99exo7_1280.jpg
^ Suspension sub assemblies done, then attached to the underside. The engine block/gearbox has been brush painted and the result is quite impressive to my eye. I didn't paint the black parts because the plastic is black and I couldn't be bothered. I did paint the rubber areas rubber black though...
tumblr_n4lnch4Mlz1tw99exo8_1280.jpg
tumblr_n4lnch4Mlz1tw99exo9_1280.jpg
tumblr_n4lnch4Mlz1tw99exo10_1280.jpg
^ This morning, it was onto the interior. The seat was a challenge as it's two tone, plus it has different finishes/textures. I couldn't figure out how to mask off properly so I just brush painted the semi-gloss black areas. A flat brush and thinned Tamiya acrylics brush paint very well.
I went over the door cards and dashboard with a semi-gloss clear coat, just to contrast with the flat finish of the tub and seat fonts. For no reason this evening, I felt the need to drybrush the details on the centre console and steering wheel, which turned into a disaster. Much too messy looking, I'll go over it with semi-gloss black later.
Thanks for looking.

Nice start! Good to find someone else who doesn't airbrush everything...! But do you agree that it's a shame that most modern cars are so colourless inside?

Steve

• Like 1

Nice start! Good to find someone else who doesn't airbrush everything...! But do you agree that it's a shame that most modern cars are so colourless inside?

Steve

Thanks Steve,

In all honesty, the brush painting was more rewarding than the airbrushing! Definitely an enjoyable skill worth learning and using often.

Yes, a lot of modern cars are a bit dull on the inside, though the new 'fashion accessory' types are a bit more lively with loads of distracting gadgets. My Mum had a Vauxhall Senator A2 which she drove around with a lead foot, all I remember was the yellow digital dash and the tartan seats. It sounds awful but it certainly was different!

very nice build, the MX5 is a great kit, it would be better if it was an MGF though!

Thanks Rich,

I would have bought an Airfix 1/32 kit but only the Tamiya stuff was on sale... I'd love to have a go at doing an MGF Super Sports, a proper track day car.

tumblr_n4lne7AGo41tw99exo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4lne7AGo41tw99exo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4lne7AGo41tw99exo3_1280.jpg

^ A small update for today. A couple of days ago when the sun was out, the body was prepared then primed with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer, absolutely brilliant stuff. Today I started on the colour coats by filling in the panel lines and recesses. This way I can cover the edges and the like before going over the body with broad strokes.
Almost all the Tamiya MX-5 kits I've seen are painted red! I thought blue would make a nice difference, plus it's my favourite colour. After 6 thin coats I settled with this finish and put it in the oven, a polish and wax will further smooth out the colour after curing and take care of the few tiny dust spots.
Thanks for looking.

tumblr_n4lne7AGo41tw99exo4_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4lne7AGo41tw99exo5_r1_1280.jpg

^ Just a small update today as this build has gone a bit pear shaped... The polished and waxed body came out pretty good, not quite the lacquer 'wet look' but a more softer feeling gloss finish. I dropped the hard-top several times while handling it which created a few small chips in the colour coat that would need repairing. This then scaled into insignificance when...

tumblr_n4lne7AGo41tw99exo6_r1_1280.jpg

^ ... After masking the body and hard-top, I had the ultimate butter finger moment, dropping both parts as well as stumbling onto them. D'oh! The hard-top has taken major damage while the body can be salvaged after a 'jig', strip down and re-paint.

The Tamiya masking tape seems to have had some sort of reaction, leaving a rough non-sticky residue on top of the hard-top. Anyway, if I hadn't thrown away the rag-top, I'd have the enthusiasm to continue but at £8 for the kit, I'm not loosing too much by starting on another build.

Thanks for looking.

Oooh that's a real bummer, done that once or twice before, although not to that scale. :poo: I've had that residue before, needed to be wet sanded with 2000 grit and then polished. It's strange because Tamiya tape usually comes off very cleanly.

You threw away parts? :mental: What is this strange concept? I have two big Tamiya kit boxes full of all the bits n bobs I had left over at the end of my builds. Tank tracks, jerry cans, stock Chevrolet wheel covers, machine guns, Holley carburetors.

Seriously though, you're making a good job of it so far, why not do a top down to show off the interior?

Odd.

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind replies, an instant boost of enthusiasm to finish the project come what may. I guess this is why this site attracts a lot of people!

Oooh that's a real bummer, done that once or twice before, although not to that scale. :poo: I've had that residue before, needed to be wet sanded with 2000 grit and then polished. It's strange because Tamiya tape usually comes off very cleanly.

You threw away parts? :mental: What is this strange concept? I have two big Tamiya kit boxes full of all the bits n bobs I had left over at the end of my builds. Tank tracks, jerry cans, stock Chevrolet wheel covers, machine guns, Holley carburetors.

Seriously though, you're making a good job of it so far, why not do a top down to show off the interior?

Odd.

Thanks Odd,

I'll take a leaf from your experience and start saving the unused parts! I was just fixated on building the hard-top, it looks much more racy than the rag-top. Thanks for the advice on the issue with the masking tape, I'll probably leave the repainted shell for a week to fully cure next time.

we need a "you have my sympathy" button next to the "like this" button

That is looking so good - my sympathies about the broken parts.

Thanks Hendie and Anthony Kesterton,

A real booster guys, It's still salvageable with a bit of elbow grease, so I'd better get back on it!

I had to buy a second kit as I broke the windscreen in mine - so I have all the other parts spare if you want to finish this build.

Nathaniel

Thanks Nathaniel,

You are a lifesaver! The hard-top and rag-tops will do, I'll PM you shortly. Thank you very much for your help.

I had to buy a second kit as I broke the windscreen in mine - so I have all the other parts spare if you want to finish this build.

Nathaniel

Just joined and already helping out, something tells me you'll fit in well here. Well done that man! ;)

tumblr_n4lne7AGo41tw99exo4_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4lne7AGo41tw99exo5_r1_1280.jpg

^ Just a small update today as this build has gone a bit pear shaped... The polished and waxed body came out pretty good, not quite the lacquer 'wet look' but a more softer feeling gloss finish. I dropped the hard-top several times while handling it which created a few small chips in the colour coat that would need repairing. This then scaled into insignificance when...
tumblr_n4lne7AGo41tw99exo6_r1_1280.jpg
^ ... After masking the body and hard-top, I had the ultimate butter finger moment, dropping both parts as well as stumbling onto them. D'oh! The hard-top has taken major damage while the body can be salvaged after a 'jig', strip down and re-paint.
The Tamiya masking tape seems to have had some sort of reaction, leaving a rough non-sticky residue on top of the hard-top. Anyway, if I hadn't thrown away the rag-top, I'd have the enthusiasm to continue but at £8 for the kit, I'm not loosing too much by starting on another build.
Thanks for looking.

I have a hard top if you need one . ??? you can have it for free . just send me your address and i will pop it in the post :)