Another Revell (ICM) 1/48 Mk.XVI Spitfire - All Finished

Seat belts done. They are made from painted Tamiya masking tape and fuse wire. Not as fiddly as I was expecting. I was able to make them a bit more detailed than the ones I made for my 1/72 Spitfires.

14099532132_932a1a7f14_c.jpg

Cockpit sidewall painting and detailing next.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

Not started the side walls yet. Ended up putting the rest of the cockpit parts together. Bit fiddly in places!

13916384960_8183b43a23_c.jpg

Going to let this set and then I'll give it a light Revell Anthracite wash.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Got a bit side-tracked from the plan. Was about to start work on the cockpit sides when I decided it might be safer if I cut the engine covers away from the main fuselage parts now so I don't end up damaging any work I've done later. Seemed to go okay.

13916831570_57508e24ff_c.jpg

Then I figured, while I was cutting stuff, I might as well get the elevators done.

14123520173_c0a3769f65_c.jpg

That might be it for today.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Good morning PlaStix !

I'm happy to see another build of this wonderful Spitfire Mk XVI (- subscrived !)

You have done a very great job on it for the moment, congratulations !

Your 1:72 Spitfires are superbs.

On my kit I had to scrape off a bit the firewall borders indeed but not a lot (far less than the pilot seat's sides).

The top part of the fire wall have been more scraped than the sides to allows the top cover engine cowl to be set.

In my case, i only cut off the left side lateral engine cowl because i want to keep a side of the plane "closed".

At this time, i would say that it's the most difficult part of this build.

i had to scrape and sand a lot the inner faces of engine cowl parts, the bottom of the engine mount and the rear area of the rockers covers too. But if you take your time, it will be Ok.

I stay tuned, keep on the good work !

Best regards

Edited by Dreamcatcher
  • Like 2

Hi Dreamcatcher. Thank you for dropping in. I have been following your build with interest too - it's coming along really well!! I shall be interested to see what you do with the engine - I'm going to try and detail it on both sides on mine!!

Kind regards,

Stix

You're welcome, all the pleasure is mine PlaStix !

I will try to use the great pictures linked by Miggers to improve a bit more the merlin.

Have a nice evening !

• Like 1

Thanks Dreamcatcher. Yeah Miggers' pictures are great. I'll pop by your thread later to see how your getting on with the engine. Liked your idea of using stretched sprue.

I got a bit done this morning - just adding some detail to the cockpit walls but no photos yet.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

TJJ popped up those pictures of PL965 when I asked if anyone was close to her

so that I could ask about stencilling on her for an up and coming build using Airfix's

IX and XIX(IX fuselage/XIX bowser wing).

• Like 1

Brilliant job so far! Followin' :popcorn:

Thank you giemme - you're most kind.

Miggers - thank you to you and TJJ then! When do envisage starting your project?

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you giemme - you're most kind.

Miggers - thank you to you and TJJ then! When do envisage starting your project?

Kind regards,

Stix

Did it a while ago 'Stix,I just never took any pics and popped them up on here.

• Like 1

Miggers - Any chance of taking a few and letting us see? I know I'd be interested.

Really???,it's not that good you know

(I don't build good models,have a search on here and see how many you can find).

But if you really want scaring,I'll try and nab some this week.

• Like 1

Hi again Miggers. Well I found a Lanc and a Spit of yours and they both look pretty good to me. It's up to you. I'm always interested in seeing Spitfires.

That cockpit is a lot better than the one im doing theres a lot more detail in it. It looks fantastic i hope mine looks an eighth of yours and I'll be happy. Love the idea with the straps....might pinch that lol. Good job!

• Like 1

Hi antowen, thank you for you comments. This kit is quite nicely detailed and I am trying to add some more. As I said in your thread - only do stuff you feel okay about. When I got back in to kit making mine were all done very basically following the kit's instructions. Before starting, and during making each kit I've made since, I've looked at what some of the fantastic model-makers on BM have done on the same or similar kits and then experimented with trying to copy some of their ideas on each one. Some ideas have worked and some haven't, but if I'm trying something very new I've done it on a scrap test piece first. I also try to find some photos of the actual subject matter to see if I work out other stuff I can achieve.

The main thing to do though is not get too stressed about it - it should be a fun, relaxing hobby!! Having said that some of the fun comes from struggling to get something to work which then succeeds! What an odd hobby!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Miggers. Thank you for the link - some good ideas there. Next time I need some seat-belts I shall use some ideas from that.
Reasonably happy with mine - chickened out from trying to persuade the fuse wire into a better representation of the buckles - but once the cockpit is closed up I think they'll give a reasonable impression of some metalwork on the seat even with the canopy open:
14099532132_932a1a7f14_c.jpg

I have managed to do a bit of work over the past couple of evenings on the cockpit sides and they are just about done. I'll try and get some photos taken tomorrow morning and post them on here. Next up I think I'll have a go at the engine! Still not too sure what I'm going to do - probably the first hour or so will be spent looking at photos of the actual thing and studying what Dreamcatcher has done so far!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

Lovely work on the seat belts Stix,

They are wonderful !

As i was in hollyday today i was thinking to work on my Spitfire but.... since this morning my good health gone... i had to go at the doctor and i'affraid to be "out of order" for at least 3 days... At this time i'm just be able to surf on forums with the cell phone... :-(

I hope your week end will be better than mine !

Best regards

Lovely work on the seat belts Stix,

They are wonderful !

As i was in hollyday today i was thinking to work on my Spitfire but.... since this morning my good health gone... i had to go at the doctor and i'affraid to be "out of order" for at least 3 days... At this time i'm just be able to surf on forums with the cell phone... :-(

I hope your week end will be better than mine !

Best regards

While you were posting this I was just adding a post to your page!

I'm sorry you're not feeling well - nothing serious I hope - although I'm sure it will be made worse by the fact you are not able to do any kit building!! I know how I feel if I'm not able to do at least a little.

I hope you feel better soon and that you can get back to work on your Spitfire as soon as possible!

I hope you have as good a weekend as you can.

Take it easy.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

First update of the weekend.

I've done a bit of work on the cockpit sides and have given everything in the area a light wash with Revell's Anthracite. There's still a bit more I want to do but I thought I'd get some photos posted to show I have been doing something on it!

14150188934_83f4642399_c.jpg

The seat/IP assembly is just temporarily held in place with Blu tack:

13963362679_fe2ce9e1a3_c.jpg

13963381390_d6f79bc247_c.jpg

14146700131_3e2ebb7182_c.jpg

13963379440_d9c6ef37af_c.jpg

Next I'm going to start looking at the engine and working out what I need to remove from the firewall to allow the fuselage sides to join correctly. According to Miggers and Dreamcatcher there's a fair bit to be removed.

Updates later today I hope.

Suggestions and comments welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

Having read what Miggers and Dreamcatcher had said about the fit of the engine firewall, with regards the effect it has on the join of the fuselage and wings, I decided to firmly tape together the fuselage and wings so they looked correct before fitting the firewall.

13963695769_440c1e173e_c.jpg

I then spent some time filing the sides of the firewall until it fitted smoothly - here it's just in place without glue:

14150366935_59ca3b4c72_c.jpg

Next I'll get some paint on this firewall and then start on the engine.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

Thanks Col.

This is as far as I've got this morning -

Firewall given a base coat of Humbrol cockpit green and some of the engine parts removed from the sprues, cleaned up (a bit of flash in places) and bits assembled. Still not sure what I'm doing about the basic colour of these - there seems to be quite a variety of different colours depending on the photos studied.

14170941553_c07c965a2f_c.jpg

Don't know if I'll get chance to do any more today.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1