Another Revell (ICM) 1/48 Mk.XVI Spitfire - All Finished

More work on the engine and firewall this morning. I was surprised how long it took just to build and paint the basic engine (and it is basic compared to the photos of the actual engine).

First two photos show it as a work in progress:

14159292674_22941fcb26_c.jpg

13972542978_69920a7470_c.jpg

Next four are of how far I've got so far with just the kit's parts:

13972508779_3f7693ea59_c.jpg

14155835901_c6c89b6fc5_c.jpg

13972505569_30b0f26192_c.jpg

13972508177_a903f0b85a_c.jpg

Still got more basic work to do before I start trying to add more detail.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

It's a nice start on your Merlin 266 !

I like a lot the way you painted it.

This morning i started to apply some putty on my Mk.XVI.

I will post some pictures this evening if i can.

Keep on the good job my friend !

• Like 1

Thanks Dreamcatcher. I'll watch out for the photos this evening. Hope the filler worked out okay.

I've managed to get the rest of the basic engine completed. Now it's this far (it's not glued onto the rest of the plane yet) I can better judge what I need to add for more detail when I'm looking at the photos of the real engine. Sorry about the quality of the photos it was getting a bit a dark when I got around to taking them.

14159381601_e4d28acba2_c.jpg

13976066230_bd08fac9e8_c.jpg

I've got a collection of plastic strip, rod and tube together ready to try and improve the look of the engine. Should be fun but, unfortunately, not until later in the week.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Hi gimme and Pascal,

Thank you for your comments.

At the moment I think the fully "dressed" engine will be fully on display with no covers in place - but it will all depend how my detailing goes! It could end up with all the covers on!!!!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Stix, she's looking lovely, mate.

I know completely what you mean about the jump to 1:48. I made the mistake of biting off a larger scale too soon and the result is £30 of kit sitting in 3 large pieces on the shelf of doom.

The pock-marked history of my dalliances can be seen here:

http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/rcwoolven/library/De%20Havilland%20Mosquito

Tamiya's mossie is supposed to be shake and bake, but as someone who genuinely once burnt a hard boiled egg, it turns out cooking isn't my strong point.

Still, seeing this thread, I might get it out again and finished once the Heinkel is completed.

Keep up the good work. I'm pulling up a pew.

Richard

• Like 1

Hi Richard and sdk_uk,

Thank you for your kind comments.

Richard - I've just been looking at your Mossie's photos - WOW! the work you have done on there is brilliant. I love the work in the cockpit and wheel wells especially - and the external paintwork is really great - are you sure you only painted it by hand? I saw the issue with the decal but what other problems did you have? - it all looks pretty good to me. I hope you do decide to finish it.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix.

The pictures are slightly deceptive. Getting the roundels on and off damaged the paintwork on the upper wings and then I found one of the wings was loose and needed to come off and be repaired. Then a landing light fell into the other wing and one of the windows snapped in half. So I stuck it on the shelf in despair and disgust.

Recently I've taken the wings off and got some new decals for the stencils and the roundels. I still have kit decals for the other markings. The only thing I'm missing is the tail fin flashes. The plan is to strip her back to bare plastic, sort some of the fit issues and then start the painting all over again. Whether it will happen remains to be seen though.

You never know. :-)

Richard

• Like 1

Thanks Stix.

The pictures are slightly deceptive. Getting the roundels on and off damaged the paintwork on the upper wings and then I found one of the wings was loose and needed to come off and be repaired. Then a landing light fell into the other wing and one of the windows snapped in half. So I stuck it on the shelf in despair and disgust.

Recently I've taken the wings off and got some new decals for the stencils and the roundels. I still have kit decals for the other markings. The only thing I'm missing is the tail fin flashes. The plan is to strip her back to bare plastic, sort some of the fit issues and then start the painting all over again. Whether it will happen remains to be seen though.

You never know. :-)

Richard

It does sound like there's a lot of work involved. It would be a shame if all the good work you've put in so far ended up permanently on the shelf of doom though. Hope it gets finished at some point.

Hi Wolwe82 and One-two,

Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments.

I've spent about six hours so far adding some of the missing details to the engine area but there doesn't look to be much to show for it as yet, but I'm reasonably happy with how it's going. I didn't think it would take so long and I reckon it's going to take me about as long again to add some of the other details. I've been using plastic strip, tube and rod plus some fuse wire to create the bits and pieces I feel I can work out are needed from the photos of the actual engine and some of the finely detailed models on this site* It also still needs some weathering and wash adding.

14201293291_6243952cd9_c.jpg

14202095242_1a1331a58f_c.jpg

14017950370_355838168c_c.jpg

I hope to get some more done on it later today, but if not, hopefully tomorrow.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

*One of the models I looked at for ideas was done in 1/72 and was far more detailed than I could ever hope to do even in 1/48!! I'll try and find it again and post a link.

• Like 2

"*One of the models I looked at for ideas was done in 1/72 and was far more detailed than I could ever hope to do even in 1/48!! I'll try and find it again and post a link."

Stix, there are people here on BM detailing in 1/72 just like they were doing a 1:1 model; I tend to look at them as an inspiration, not really a goal to reach. I think you've done a great job so far, and please leave your engine on show, don't you dare covering it!! :winkgrin:

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi giemme,

Yeah you're quite right and now I've almost finished adding extra detail to the engine I'm pretty happy with it so it will be on show. I've got a bit more work to do on it but it's just about there.

Hi Miggers,

Thank you again - they were just what was needed at the right time!!

Hi Wolwe,

The exhausts were painted with a base coat of Gun Metal, followed by washes of Rust and Anthracite with some dry-brushed Steel, all from Revell, to finish.

........ and here's how far I've got after another six or so hours!!

14029848740_8097949638_c.jpg

14216464915_f2e989d14a_c.jpg

14216461915_28103e259c_c.jpg

14029808488_5241320f5e_c.jpg

14236631253_b880a47814_c.jpg

I had to make quite a few compromises to get stuff to work - at times it was difficult to work out what things were and where they went, even with the help of Migger's links to photos and diagrams! As I mentioned above it still needs some more work but it looks busier than how it started.

Apart from some bits and pieces on my space kits and the cockpits on the three 1/72 Spitfires, I've never done anything as detailed in terms of modifying a kit before, but it was most enjoyable - even when tiny bits of plastic and fuse wire wouldn't (repeatedly) do what I wanted them to!!!

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

Wow- that engine looks fantastic Stix. You have nailed the look of the exhausts. I nearly bought one of these on Friday but my son told me I needed another Spit like a hole in the head considering I have 5 to build at home, lol. So he bought an Eduard BF109 E-1 instead, wee sod.

• Like 1

Woow Stix,

You made a really nice job on the Merlin 266 !

I hope to do as good as you done here on mine but it will be very difficul !!!

Congratulations !

Keep on the :goodjob:

(Question : What is the color you used to paint the "varnished inox" ducts, please - a kind of copper ? - thanks by advance)

• Like 1

Hi sdk_uk - thank you for your comment - I must admit that before I bought the kit I thought, from looking at the box art, the engine as provided was pretty good - and it is - it's only when you see photos of the actual engines themselves that you realise how 'busy' they actually are. Hopefully I've managed to get some of that cluttered feel of the real ones! It's the first time I've tried adding this much extra detail to a kit but it was good fun.

Hi Alan - thank you for your comments - I think it's actually quite a nice kit for the money - it's obviously got some fit and other issues but for less than £12 it's a fun way to spend a lot of time and the detail in some areas is very fine. And you can never build too many Spitfires as I'm starting to learn. I've got plans for another two after this (got to buy them first) - it must be some kind of modelling bug! I'll bet the Eduard 109 will be excellent though - I hope you both enjoy making it - is it the next joint project?

Hi Dreamcatcher - thank you for your comments - the paint for the pipework was Humbrol's Brass (No. 54) but it's a bit of an old tub and not in particularly good shape but it was all I had at the time - must buy some more! It was going solid as I applied it so I had to sand it down with very fine wet and dry to get rid of the lumps which may have add to the appearance!

Thanks Miggers - glad you think it looks okay - quite a lot of that is down to your research materials!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the answer Stix !

"Bonne continuation" ! (sorry, i don't know the english words - may be "good continuation ?" or probabbely better : "keep on the good work")

Pascal

• Like 1