Tornado GR mk1

calman

Hi I'm quite new to making models and I recently got a tornado GR mk1 1:72 scale for a fiver before spending more on a 1:48 GR 4 and I'm wondering what would be a good colour of paint to buy for a desert colour.

Edited by calman

Humbrol 250 is a good starting point, but you can add as much or as little of White to this as you want to give a little lived in feeling to the model.

Anything for bullet holes?

Bullet holes!!!! Steady on now fella, I was about to give you serious kudos for picking Tornado's to start playing with and now you want to chuck bullets at the RAF's Gulf War star!

Seriously, welcome on board, there's plenty people in here who have a lot of superb experience and knowledge of this aircraft.

As already mentioned Hu250 is the way to go for a desert Tornado, it may be worth painting her dark sea grey/dark green camo first and then going over this with the desert sand colour as the real jets were. During their time in the Gulf the desert sand wore away quite heavily revealing patches of the original colour scheme underneath. Any Google search of Tornado's in Gulf War 1 will show this well.

There's nice decals from Model Alliance or Printscale for Gulf Tornado's too.

Looking forward to some in progress pics.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

Bullet holes!!!! Steady on now fella, I was about to give you serious kudos for picking Tornado's to start playing with and now you want to chuck bullets at the RAF's Gulf War star!

Seriously, welcome on board, there's plenty people in here who have a lot of superb experience and knowledge of this aircraft.

As already mentioned Hu250 is the way to go for a desert Tornado, it may be worth painting her dark sea grey/dark green camo first and then going over this with the desert sand colour as the real jets were. During their time in the Gulf the desert sand wore away quite heavily revealing patches of the original colour scheme underneath. Any Google search of Tornado's in Gulf War 1 will show this well.

There's nice decals from Model Alliance or Printscale for Gulf Tornado's too.

Looking forward to some in progress pics.

Rgds,

Eng

Thanks for the help thought I might start with a tornado considering it's my favourite plane and I have family history with the tornado :)

Ah, good stuff, I love the Tornado too, specifically the RAF ones! Are you aware Revell are about to release a 1/48 Tornado very shortly? Will come with option of dropped flaps/slats, thrust reversers deployed/stowed and the usual other options.

Some debate as to what decal options will be with the kit but the initial release appears to be a specially marked German machine.

Rgds,

Eng

Ah, good stuff, I love the Tornado too, specifically the RAF ones! Are you aware Revell are about to release a 1/48 Tornado very shortly? Will come with option of dropped flaps/slats, thrust reversers deployed/stowed and the usual other options.

Some debate as to what decal options will be with the kit but the initial release appears to be a specially marked German machine.

Rgds,

Eng

I wasn't aware of this but shall keep it in mind.