GULF Jaguar XK8 - ALL DONE!

roymattblack

I don't think there is a legal thing with these Gulf colours. I sat in one of the original Gulf Ford Gt Le Mans car I spotted in the old Naafi garage at Brize around 83. It was still racing , just not for Gulf but still in the colours. I've also seen a Aston Martin DBRS9 is in Gulf scheme too, I think it was on Top Gear,not sure.

There are umpteen cars on the road in Gulf colours if you Google image the scheme.

I really can't see how a colour/two colours can be copyright, particularly without the logo's etc.

TBH, would Gulf even care anyway?

You can buy Gulf logo stickers in countless accessory shops and on E bay and there seems to be no issues.

If I was racing in those colours, it would no doubt be different.

Roy.

Well, it bit Steve at Zero Paints for a while...

And here's what they say:

http://www.gulfoilltd.com/about_gulf/gulf_today/colours_flash/

" So strong has this colour combination become that the Gulf Oil International Group created an international first when they were granted a pan-EU trademark registration for this unique colour combination."

Bestest,

M.

I'm sure there won't be any trouble either, Roy... I was just pointing out that they HAD actually managed to trademark the colours, without logos. Looks like they're OK for historic racers in period livery, as long as they get the OK. I think the only issue would be if your paintshop guys were offering a "Gulf Wrap" for £1800 commercially, and advertising it!

Neatest,

M.

............. I think the only issue would be if your paintshop guys were offering a "Gulf Wrap" for £1800 commercially, and advertising it!

Neatest,

M.

I wish mine was costing £1,800..........

Roy.

• 2 weeks later...

An update.....

I've had a few pics sent to me so I'm posting them here.

I don't think there will be any more until the car is back home, sometime next week, as I've asked that I don't see too much before I collect it.

I have no doubt opinion will be very divided, but I'm looking forward to completion more than ever now.

Roy.

photo1_zps61d86bc6.jpg

photo2_zps2f5f434d.jpg

photo3_zps8dd4ba24.jpg

photo4_zpsfe957c41.jpg

It's actually called Anthracite: a VERY dark metallic/pearlescent grey almost black.

The good thing with a wrap is that it's removable in the future if I fancy a different colour scheme, or just want to go back to the original colour in a few years time.

Roy.

Yep....

The full deal.

Pale blue, orange nose and central stripe, bordered with 1/2" black lines.

No logo's, white circles etc.....

Black wheels.

OK..... I'm an overage kid.......

Roy.

Won't look good without the circles...LOL Hmmm, I wonder how my HHR panel would look done up in the Gulf livery?

I spoke to the company yesterday.

Apparently it will be more likely Friday as all the 'bits' are now wrapped, but they have done a 'proper' job - removed everything for wrapping.

Bumpers, nose cone, all the lights, door handles, mirrors, window trims, side bump-strips, badges etc etc.....

Putting it all back together takes a while and they are also cleaning/re-finishing and repainting the brake callipers orange, and then putting the new wheels on.

I've asked them to leave the side bump-strips and all badges off.

I also left it to them to decide whether to do the door mirror caps in blue or orange.....

Seriously can't wait now!

Roy.

Yes..... Friday is here!!!!!

But no car. Boo hoo........

Apparently Saturday morning, as they are up to proverbial ear'oles today and want to go over the car, valet it etc etc before I get it.

I'll post pics pronto when it's back home.

Roy.

• Like 1

I was driving past Tesco's on the Ipswich ring road yesterday. I was near the BT monolith and this light blue thing grew in my mirrors went passed me doing about 80. A Gulf Jag.I thought it was you Roy.

LOL Made you think though didn't I??

Edited by bzn20