GULF Jaguar XK8 - ALL DONE!

roymattblack

Has anyone seen, or know of any pictures anywhere of a Jaguar XK in Gulf blue/orange???

The reason I ask, is I'm contemplating having my car (Avatar) 'wrapped' in the GT40 scheme (less the decals and logo's)

I'm also considering new wheels in black with polished outer rims.

However, the wrap isn't cheap, and I'd like to see a 'rough' idea of how it would look.

I love the colour scheme, but don't want to make my car look cheapo, or 'boy racer'.

Yes, I know - mid-life crisis......... Some (most?... All???) of you are probably thinking - Arrgghh.... Don't do it!

Have fun before you're too old!

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Hi Roy

Have you seen the Aston Martin DBRS 9 in Gulf colours? Yeah, thought so! Its a closer to your Jaguar and might give you a better idea!

Google images Gulf Aston Martin DBRS 9............. No,Really?

Or get a model of your car and do a maquette in Gulf colours see what it looks like. I found an Airfix 1/32nd twin pack of the Aston DBR9 (in Gulf) and XKR GT3. That came up with a Gulf Jaguar XKR Image search. AND your Avatar pic too!

Edited by bzn20

There's A chap in Salisbury who's either had his XK8 wrapped or resprayed bright orange. Also has a black spoiler and black wheels with polished lip like you mentioned.

The result? One ruined XK8 it truly looks hideous but that's mine and mine only opinion, your quite welcome to disagree. And I can't see the addition of blue paint to go with the orange helping the look either.

At the end of the day it's your car and you can do what you like but would I do it if I was in your shows?

A big fat resounding NO!

Gulf colours are classic, Ford GT40's steaming down the Mulsanne 1-2-3-4, 66-69. Its not all Orange.

One thing with a wrap. after a while when you've got it out of your system, off it comes and, with a wash and polish you can go back to normal, think of it as protecting your paintwork for a while :winkgrin:

As long as you have good paintwork to start off with, otherwise you could have real problems. It's not age dependent either, my friend only had the bonnet of her much newer XKR covered and when they removed it, half the paint came off. The other thing is that some insurance companies have a dim view of this sort of thing, so best check before going ahead. I have seen good wraps and blooming awful ones and certainly wouldn't do it to my XK8, but each to their own.

Roy only asked for photo's of a Jaguar in Gulf colours..............................................

Roy only asked for photo's of a Jaguar in Gulf colours..............................................

Hi bzn20,

you're right, I forgot to add that I spent just over an hour this morning, trying to find any images of such a beast and found nothing.

So could it be that Roy's may become a first in captivity?

I also found other model sites were Roy had mentioned this possibility going back to 2013, so it looks like he's been on the hunt for quite some time.

Regards

Reggie

• Like 1

The DBRS9 is the closest I found. There must be over 30 different cars that raced for them.

Many thanks for all the different comments and views.

I know there's a risk of 'tackyness' but I just love the colour scheme.

The company I'm looking at doing the wrap are a top-line outfit and they assure me there's absolutely no risk to the original paint.

Apparently, with some of the earlier films used, it wasn't too stable and could be a problem to remove.

The film they use it the highest grade 3M film and it's been used on Lambo's Ferrari's and Veyrons - so my little XK would be in good company.

Regarding the 'tacky' element - Yes, it's possible.

My infinitely better half Samantha is totally supportive and laughed when I said it was part of my mid-life crisis.....

Trying to recapture my yoof etc, when I used to drool over such cars as there was no hope of affording such a colour scheme, or the car.

Luckily, being a wrap, it's removable in a few years time if I want to revert to the original colour, or something different.

If it was a re-spray I wouldn't dream of it.

This came about (recently again) as last week I was on the edge of chopping my XK in against an Aston DB7 GTS at Chilton Aston, in metallic Aston racing green with the yellow nose etc.

I dallied to long and the car was sold.

Then I thought about my XK - had it 3 years, lifetime warranty, full service history, 4 brand new tyres a month ago (OUCH!!!) still love it to bits.

Keep it and play with it.

Hence, the wrap, new wheels and new grille.

I'm not 100% decided yet, but it's a probable.......

Roy.

Some people thought I was mad modifying my XK, but it was what I wanted. I still love the car and what I did, even after owning her for 9 years. She still gets looks even at the Jaguar World London to Brighton run, the next one of which is tomorrow.

You've put a lot of research into this and is obviously something you've thought long and hard about, so blooming well go for it. :D:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

...and I'm assuming no actual logos?

Come to think of it, if Steve at Hiroboy got cease and desist letters for selling the _paint_, actually making a car Gulf coloured might be the wrong side of some legal line...

You'll just have to say that it's in Triumph Powder Blue and Marigold, just like the real things...

bestest,

M.

Are you going for the pale blue with orange nose look, or the full central stripe as well?

bestest,

M.

Yep....

The full deal.

Pale blue, orange nose and central stripe, bordered with 1/2" black lines.

No logo's, white circles etc.....

Black wheels.

OK..... I'm an overage kid.......

Roy.