Revell 1:48 F-14A in VF-14 Tophatters 80th Anniversary Scheme +++FINISHED+++

Thanks for the suggestions! Sorry for the delay, I haven't been working on this in a while. I've decided to put the canopy to one side (nothing like avoiding an issue!) and work on other steps for the moment..

So I finally have the fuselage closed. Due to a bad fit, this took a lot of patient work, I basically closed it section by section, allowing each section to dry and harden before moving to the next. So I did the rear (engines and behind the wings first) and then did one side from wings to intakes, and then the other, and then one side from intakes to the front, and then the other. I took a pic of the last section drying just to give an idea:

Clamps_zps01bd57bd.jpg

So, with all that done, here's how it looks now:

Airframe1_zps1e09a5cf.jpg

A *lot* of filler is needed, as can be seen from these photos (and these are just two examples):

Gaps1_zpsf65c00c3.jpg

Gaps2_zpscae0a596.jpg

Unfortunately my weakest skill in modelling is probably gaps/filler/sanding, so this isn't going to look great when it's all done, but I was never planning to enter this kit in any comps anyhow! Hopefully get the fuselage tidied up over the next week or two and ready for priming / painting.

Thanks...

J.

• Like 1

Looking great! A couple of notes - This was a time period where the BOL rail was new and I have pictures of them using BOL rails and the old standard LAU-7 rail. Either is correct. We didn't include walkway decals simply because they are big and take up a lot of space I feel is better used for something else. Being large squares and rectangles, they are easily painted.

Also, this jet didn't have any NO STEP markings. We included all the markings on the jet in the decal set.

Loadouts varied with GBU's. GBU-10/12/16 and GBU-24.

Can't wait to see it done!

Thanks Brian and Dave...

Yep, I'll paint the walkways. Does anyone know what size they should be? If not I'll just try to measure them from a pic online. And I reckon I'll leave the airframe clean, I've a few pics with no loadouts at all, and it'll make the build quicker!

J.

Another update...

I have this week off, so I'm hoping a make some progress, as there's only a month left and with a young child in the house I just don't get a lot of time at the bench!

So, with that in the back of my head, I've tried my best to get more of this done over the weekend. It's been all filling and sanding. The only accurate thing about the fit of this kit is the statement 'it's terrible!'.

That's not to say that it can't be made into a great looking model, but I've been aware for a few weeks now that it's not going to be a great result for me, I just don't have the skills or patience to handle such bad-fitting parts. I've done my best to fill and sand the gaps / steps, but I know when I finally get it primed it's going to show up a lot of issues! Then I get to decide which I will work on and which I'll just live with! :) The shear size (and hopefully the scheme) will make this model stand out, but it won't stand up to any close scrutiny!

Anyhow, I nearly have it ready for priming now. Got a lot more filling done, got the nose on (more steps in the plastic there) and got the 'cans' on (not a lot of detail there!). I've also decided that Pau's suggestion regarding the canopy is definitely the way to go, so I've got the rear one on, and I'll add the front one next (hopefully tomorrow). I use Liquid Green Stuff for filler, so you'll see a lot of green in the pics! However, I'm going to use Squadron White on the canopy, just so I don't get green visible through it!

So, here are the pics, it's hard to get good ones as it's so big, but at least that stops me going up close and showing the issues. Hopefully the next ones I put up will have it primed...

J.

Airframe2_zpsf6a669c2.jpg

Airframe3_zpsd946b901.jpg

• Like 1

Just a quick update...

I got the canopies done. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than before. I've painted them the interior colour, and I think the airframe is now ready for primer tomorrow, and we'll see then how many issues there are, and how many I decide to leave alone! :)

J.

Canopies2_zpsf5889e43.jpg

It's amazing what having time off work can do for you, I can't remember the last time I got this much modelling done! :)

I primed the airframe this morning, and as it happens, while some sections were as bad as I thought they would be, none of them were worse! :) I tidied up some of them and then took this pic:

Primed1_zps0844bfbb.jpg

I'm priming in white as it's also the colour for the wheel wells, intakes and tails for this scheme, and white primer is a lot easier than brush painting white. It looks pretty light and patchy in places, but that's ok, it's all going to be sprayed over with grey primer.

I decided to use my grey primer as the main scheme colour as it's quite similar to the colour I need, and for a model this size I thought it would be quicker. But there's a small flaw in my plan. As I'm using a can of primer, I don't have any matching paint I can use for a 'touch-up' if needed. So I need to be very careful and mask a lot to ensure that when I put on the grey primer/main coat, it's a once off and won't have to be repeated! All that masking, and planning, it probably taking longer than just brush painting the damn thing! Ah well, at least it's keeping my brain ticking over, figuring out the best way to do each step.

So, with the worst parts at least tidied up a bit, I set about masking the now white painted parts that need to stay white! First up is the tails, and I must admit, I think I've broken up the classic lines of the Tomcat a bit here...

Masked2_zps11127f00.jpg

I found several different pics of several different demarcation lines inside the intakes, so I went with a bit of poetic license and masked off the easiest one I could, though even that was pretty awkward inside that small space...

Masked1_zps98d674c9.jpg

And finally, I've masked off the wheel bays to keep them nice and white as well...

Masked3_zpsaedbf19a.jpg

So, I think I'm pretty much ready for the grey primer next, hopefully tomorrow. All going well, the next pic will be of the painted model, we'll see!

J.

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio! Yep, it's not a great fit, but despite the issues I'm actually enjoying it, it's good to be building again and for once I'm enjoying the challenge.

Just a quick question, should the wing bladders be a different colour or not? The scheme that came with the decals suggests it should be, but in a couple of pics online of this scheme the wing bladders look the same colour as the airframe. Any ideas?

Thanks...

J.

Speaking of 'touch up' paint Jason reminded me of this.......

F-14VF-111_zps38ae0ce9.jpg

This shady lady was assigned to an all-nugget crew (first cruise for pilot and RIO) from VF-111. I'd say if I copied this scheme on a kit, I'd be laughed out of the club!

On the wing bladders, I'd say go with the different colour suggested by the scheme, which I think is Gunship Gray? Others here will know for sure....

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 1

Jason, the wing bladders are made of a kind of rubberised fabric. They are light-medium grey originally, but they quickly absorb dirt and grime and become darker. Personally I use grey FS 36231 (the same of theh cockpit) to reproduce the colour they have when new (or newish), can be painted darker if you want to reproduce some more used ones.

In any case, I would not use the same colour of the fuselage, they are of a different material and some difference is always going to be visible

Latest pic, with the grey primer on it. Not too bad, but it still shows up a few issues, some of which I'm going to try to improve. This will be the last attempt at improving them though, and once I've re-sprayed those areas then I'm moving on to painting the various different colours on the airframe (wing bladders, gun, anti-glare around cockpit etc.) before putting on the first coat of Future...

J.

Primed2_zps5c0ff402.jpg

• Like 1

Got a bit done over the weekend, and it's now painted and ready for the first gloss coat. Deciding to use a rattlecan for the main grey colour has definitely caused more issues than it solved, so I won't be doing that again! :) Here's how it looks now:

Painted1_zps9572690e.jpg

I've also started work on the Pylons, which have Sparrows molded onto them. Here's how they look out of the box after white primer:

Pylons1_zps101d0e36.jpg

And I'll basically cut them off and hopefully tidy up the hole that's left!

Thanks...

J.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks lyn! Unfortunately it's really not my best work, but I'm still enjoying it... :)

Anyhow, time for an update! I've a week and a half to go and hopefully I will get this finished. I put a lot of gloss on, as the rattle can finish wasn't as smooth as I liked. Did a bit of painting and washes here and there as well, and over the last few days I've got all the decals done. Some of them didn't fit great (definitely down to the kit, not the decals) and some of them silvered a fair bit (down to the rattle can finish, despite the gloss) but they are great decals and they look decent enough!

The last decals were only done a few mins ago, so next up is more gloss coats to seal them all in, before some weathering (not too much, this was an anniversary CAG aircraft, so it would have been kept clean enough). I still have to finish the plyons too. I have the undercarriage doors done, but haven't even touched the undercarriage! Like I said, hopefully I will get this finished! :)

Anyhow, here she is with the decals:

Decalled1_zps1a476462.jpg

Decalled2_zpsb73c105e.jpg

Thanks...

J.

• Like 1

Thanks lads...

Managed to knock the bloody model off the bench today! Both sections of the canopy came off, which I think I can reattach and tidy up, but the front canopy is also broken and only being held together by the masking tape! So annoyed. I'll have to leave the front section sitting loose on the model until I can get a replacement. Thankfully there's no other damage done, but it's such a visible place to break the bloody thing...

J.

Yep, very annoying! I suppose it could have been worse, I could have broken a wing or snapped the fuselage or something!

Managed to get a little done on this over the weekend, though not half as much as I would have liked. Got the rear section of the canopy reattached and tidied up. Also did a panel wash (which didn't take long as there are very few panel lines that aren't raised!). And I finally got started on the undercarriage, it's all pretty much done now apart from painting the tyres themselves (and gluing all the parts together of course!).

Anyhow, when I get back to the bench I'll be doing all the little jobs you get at the end of the build. I've to attach the undercarriage and doors, the pod under the nose, the pylons, the arrestor hook and a few aerials etc. I still actually have to paint the pylons and arrestor hook, and that leads me to my next question, what colour is the hook assembly? Most pics I've seen seem to suggest it's sprayed the camo colour, but I've also seen black/white stripes. I can't find any underside pics of the scheme I'm doing.

I also have to do the final matt coat, and then unmask the canopies (and I'll see just how many pieces the front canopy is in!). That should be that really, so I'm kinda confident of getting this done, but we'll see...

J.

Finally got this done! Not only was the canopy cracked, but when I unmasked it the masks had leaked as well! So it's not looking great really, I'd class it as a decent build of a poor kit. No close up shots of this one, it couldn't stand up to it, but from afar the size and scheme make it stand out. And despite all the flaws I enjoyed building it, and it looks like a Tomcat which is the most important thing! Thanks for all the help and advice with this, glad I got it finished in time! :)

J.

Finished1_zpse98b9c84.jpg

Finished2_zps3b5a40cf.jpg

Finished3_zpscef20eea.jpg

Finished4_zpsaf185f31.jpg

Finished5_zps554e97de.jpg

• Like 2

Great outcome Jason.

It's a very attractive scheme that I've never really paid attention to; thanks for choosing to model it. It's an even more impressive result, given the tribulations you've had to endure.

Andrew.