Revell 1/32 Bf 109 G-10 Erla JG52 Mj. E. Hartmann- Updated 28/4

Good Afternoon,

Looks like my plan to finish a few of my part built kits has become unravelled.
My son has "ordered" me to build this for him for a show he wants to go to in June.
What sort of a loving father would I be not to oblige him?

DSCN1027.jpg

Obligatory shot of the box.

Construction starts as usual with the cockpit-
all 4 sides removed from the sprues, the seat has been added9 although I dont like the molded on seatbelts. I have half a set of Radu Brinzan harnesses I will use- I am going to attempt to scratchbuild the lap harnesses.

DSCN0997.jpg

DSCN0995.jpg

DSCN0999.jpg

DSCN0998.jpg

I have sprayed the entire cockpit with Vallejo black primer, before giving it a coat of RLM 66. Once dry I applied a coat of darkened RLM 66, heavily diluted to add depth. Once this was done I added some white and did the highlights. For the worn look I dusted some mig pigments over the floor and raised detail.

DSCN1012.jpg

DSCN1008.jpg

The side console and oxygen system before the oxygen pipes and regulators were added. Second photo shows after they have been fitted.

DSCN1000.jpg

DSCN1026.jpg

DSCN1005.jpg

For the next update I will complete the pilots seat and the instrument panel.

Alan.

• Like 3

Hi Alan,

VERY nice detail painting going on there, and I like the weathering and dirtying up of the cockpit.

One thing though, on the right hand sidewall you've painted all the hoses yellow - the top hose was a fuel line (with a sight glass in it to watch fuel flow) and was painted yellow, but the oxygen hoses coming out of the blue regulator weren't yellow as far as my research shows- they were either the same blue as the regulator, or anything from dark grey to black. Hope it's not too late to do anything about it.

Looking at the standard of the work so far, I'm going to be watching this one - it's looking good!

Cheers,

Dean

• Like 1

Already fixed the auxiliary fuel window- I had painted it silver, was wondering why Revell had supplied the part on the clear sprue. I will get the oxygen regulator hoses fixed tonight. Thanks for the guidance.

I have the right hand console fixed- clear fuel feed restored, oxygen hoses the proper colour and I have also seen the fuel lines wrapped in some reference photos- so simulated that also.

DSCN1028.jpg

These are the Radub shoulder harnesses I will be using instead of the molded kit items. Going to try scratching the lap belts.

DSCN1030.jpg

Alan.

• Like 1

I have scratchbuilt the lap seat belts using stretched evergreen styrene, some wire and Tamiya tape. I had the instructions from the Radub belt set to use as reference. Much happier now than with the moulded belts.

DSCN1036.jpg

DSCN1039.jpg

• Like 4

A small update.

Seatbelts fully painted and installed on the seat- next to weather the seat.

DSCN1041.jpg

I am also starting on the instrument panel. I have added the undercarriage emergency release handle on the bottom right hand side. I have also added the dust handle on the bottom right- some of my reference photos show it, others don't but I will add it anyway. I cant bring myself to use the kit supplied decals here so I will be using some MDC dial decals and painting the rest by hand.

DSCN1044.jpg

Will get some photos up once this has been done.

Alan.

• Like 1

A small bit of progress made over the weekend. The instrument panel is done.

Painted by coating in Vallejo black primer firstly.

DSCN1046.jpg

Next sprayed RLM 66 using Gunze acylics.

DSCN1047.jpg

Highlighted and details picked out using various Vallejo Panzer Aces acrylics and a wash of Games Workshop Nuln Oil.

DSCN1049.jpg

Finally finished off using MDC Luftwafe instrument dials, then a drop of Klear put on the face of each instrument.

DSCN1050.jpg

Just a few small details left to do to the cockpit and I will be ready to call it done.

• Like 5

Absolutely brilliant work in that cockpit! I'll definitely need to invest in some of those MDC dials - my painted IP's pale into insignificance compared ro this!

• Like 1

Great work so far; lovely looking office, nicely weathered.

Edited by mekon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Havent forgotten about this- I have been concentrating my efforts in trying to get my little Mustang finished for my son- he wants it finished for a show on June 1st.

Anyway- I have the cockpit all buttoned up and attached the bottom wing spar- photos to follow in a day or so with a little more progress done.

The same here !

Very very nice paint job, one of the best i ever seen !

If i can permit : i'm not sure that there were a red button on top of the KG13 sticks - i think they were all black

KG136.jpg

243308d1379499702t-1-1-replicas-raf-spad

KG13C.jpg

Your seat belts and instruments pannel are fantastic too !

Congratulations

Best regards !

Pascal

Edited by Dreamcatcher
  • Like 1

The same here !

Very very nice paint job, one of the best i ever seen !

If i can permit : i'm not sure that there were a red button on top of the KG13 sticks - i think they were all black

KG136.jpg

243308d1379499702t-1-1-replicas-raf-spad

KG13C.jpg

Your seat belts and instruments pannel are fantastic too !

Congratulations

Best regards !

Pascal

Many thanks for the heads up- finding decent refernce photos of a G10 cockpit is quite difficult- loads of G6s but not to many G10s. Your first photo looks like Gaston has been at it.

• Like 1