F-104 "Hunting Cat"

G-usa, KT is right, I misunderstood and would recommend the decal film product for decals still on the paper and not yet applied. As they are on the model a varnish like Klear is a better idea.

Sorry for the confusion and my humble apologies.

• Like 1

Well that is just as well. Apparently the liquid decal film is an extremely potent explosive with a single small bottle able to completely disintegrate an entire 747 if ignited. How the terrorists overlooked this high grade bomb material is beyond me. I would assume now if you are a not so bright terrorist without access to the internet, you can just visit your local post office to find out what common every day materials you could convert to trigger an explosive or flammable reaction. Just think, the Post Office providing services to all!! Anyway, I ordered it and it has to be delivered by ground carrier. (I guess UPS or FedEx trucks are expendable in the war on terrorism and we can afford to lose them to the hazardous and dangerous materials that have been around for years without being responsible for the earth's mass destruction. Probably is tied to global warning) So, it will be awhile until they get here. I can always use it on some old decals I have in the stash. But, I have Future on hand always. So, I guess a few coats will be put on today.

• Like 3

It's always difficult knowing when good is good enough. After spending an eternity trying to build the perfect kit, I've come to the conclusion that it's generally better accept that the kit is never going to be perfect and move on. The next build will be better than this one, and the one after that will be better yet.

I think the Hunting Cat is looking great. As a University of Texas alumni, I rather like the orange.

Mark

Edited by Mark Turk
  • Like 1

Small update. I worked on the main gear doors some more and lathered on some future on the topside of this kit. I did, what I hope, is the last round of filling, sanding, priming on these gear doors to blend in the hump for the larger wheels on Italian F-104s. So, after a final sand down of the Mr. Surfacer . . .

gearcoversredo1.jpg

I then primed them to await their last coat of aluminum paint.

gearcoversredo2.jpg

While waiting for the primer to dry, I gave the top side decals a protective coat of future. I think this will help protect them from the light weathering on the starboard side and final finishing top coats.

future1.jpg

future2.jpg

Next up, gear doors and weathering. As always, all comments welcome.

• Like 5

Weather update. It was storming outside, but the weathering inside went pretty good. I finally decided to limit the weathering to only the bottom of the aircraft and the starboard side that was not overpainted with the Hunting Cat scheme. Since I have already done the underside of the kit, I moved to the starboard side and proceeded to play. Out came the Flory’s Dark Dirt and it was liberally applied to the kit. Even though I have used Flory’s wash numerous times before with never a bad result or one that could not be cleaned up and reapplied, given the history of this kit and paint applications, I was a bit scared when I looked at the kit after I had initially applied the wash. I am waiting for disaster to strike.

topweather1.jpg

topweather2.jpg

topweather3.jpg

topweather4.jpg

Next up, remove almost all of it using many Q-tips and paper towels. I think I have achieved just the right amount of weathering for a well maintained aircraft. I assume when the port side scheme was applied, the starboard side was not repainted, but just cleaned up. I hope you like the results.

topweather5.jpg

topweather6.jpg

topweather7.jpg

topweather8.jpg

topweather9.jpg

Okay, that disaster I feared would strike, it may have bit me after I finished taking the above pictures. It has been raining here all day. But, for the last 2 hours, it has stopped and the sun has been out. Given the size of this beast, I have no where inside that is big enough to spray a top coat on it. So, I took it outside, sprayed on a satin top coat, everything looking good, put up the airbrush, only to come out and find a drop of water had been blown off of the roof and was now pooling ever so nicely in the wet satin top coat on the starboard wing. ARGGHHHHH!! I have sorta repaired it and dabbed off the water. I must wait for it to completely dry to see how bad the wet finish reacted with the drop of water. I really don’t want to repaint the wing. As always, comments welcome as I grumpily go about my business waiting for paint to dry.

That looks lovely to me, it is a really great piece of modelling. I love the look of all those stencils. I hope you managed to sort the water out and it has not done any significant damage.

Nigel

• Like 1

Oops. Maybe the little Italian who applied the stencil is dyslexic like me and it looks the same forwards and backwards! I guess, Pete, that's a little secret between you and me (and whoever reads this mess of a thread). If someone notices standing a foot away, I'll buy them lunch. (All britmodellers and immediate family members are excluded, rules of the game subject to change, no purchase necessary to play).

• Like 1

When last left, I was dealing with water on wet cover finish issues. I have sorted that out and that has been taken care of. So the only thing remaining is to finish the bulged wheel covers and put on sharp nose thingy on the end of the nose cone. So, after much filling, sanding, filling, sanding, I ended up with this as my modified bulged wheel covers

finishedwheelcover1.jpg

And they installed fairly easy. Initially I was worried as I could not get them to fit flush, but it seems as when the landing gear is deployed, these covers retract, but not to a completely closed position. So here is my representation of this situation. Sure hope it is correct.

finishedwheelcover2.jpg

After removal of the canopy masking and placement of the sharp nose thingy, this kit is finished. Here it is in its new home.

finish1.jpg

finish2.jpg

finish3.jpg

I still have to clean up a couple of minor paint issues with the canopy, then find a space large enough to take the Ready for Inspection photos. That will happen today or tomorrow. Thanks for looking in and thanks to everyone who has made comments and suggestions. I really appreciate them.

• Like 6

That looks miles better than the thing that I made a billion years ago. The intervening years seem to have cause you some troubles but it sure turned into a damned fine looking model !! Well done mate, and thanks for the trip down memory lane :)

• Like 1