One Day Wonder Airfix Tiger Moth

Hello All,

On Saturday I picked up the gift set boxing of the new Airfix Tiger Moth with pots of acrylic yellow, interior green, black and steel, a tube of glue and a brush. The colour scheme is overall yellow.

Yesterday I had a look at the parts:

airfix_tiger_moth_parts_zpsfdcb2b02.jpg

I thought I would do a simple build using the glue, paints and brush that it came with. I started at lunchtime and quickly got the cockpit together. I painted it interior green and black, and gave it a wash of dilute black to bring out the detail. I cheated a bit, and used a strip of brown paper bag to make (pre-coloured) seat belts:

airfix_tiger_moth_cockpit_zpse2f6b03c.jp

I got everything together by mid afternoon:

airfix_tiger_moth_built_zps314cccfa.jpg

The yellow was brush painted acrylic from the pot, diluted with a spot of water with a teeny amount of washing up liquid in it. Two coats did the trick (three probably would have been better).Painting acrylics requires a different technique from enamels because of the quick drying/skinning qualities of acrylic. I found that if I planned an area to paint and worked quickly and methodically, it was OK.

airfix_tiger_moth_yellow_zps58fc2468.jpg

I brushed a drop of future on to the model under each decal, which seemed to do the trick:

airfix_tiger_moth_decals_zps800fd40f.jpg

The cabane struts held everything in place so well that I could separate out the inter-wing struts and just pop them in individually. No rigging for this one, but I definitely intend to build (and rig) another one of these little gems!

I gave it a browny-grey acrylic wash to bring out the control surfaces and opening panel lines, and to add a little grime here and there.

airfix_tiger_moth_rf_34_zps261291c9.jpg

All finished in a little under 12 hours!

Thanks for looking,
Adrian

• Like 8

Nice job with an excellent kit. Love the yellow scheme for the Tiger Moth. And cheating be damned... I'm stealing that paper bag idea for the seatbelts. That's fantastic and they look great too.

Very nice job indeed. Good idea for a future GB. Airfix Starter Sets using only the materials included with the kit. Be even better if you could buy one in a brown paper bag…back to basics, eh?

Congratulations, a fantastic looking model. Just goes to show what you can achive in a days good modelling. I think I'll have to invest in one myself.

Colin

Lovely kit and you have done it justice.

I dont like the way the outer struts are jigged as the plastic is very hard to remove without breaking the strut for inexperienced hands. they really are fragile and the area on the wings that they are glued to is not very large. to my mind a recipe for disaster.

Rodders