1/32 Hobbycraft Sea Fury FB.11 - update 11/06

AndyC

I've pondered this and decided I'm going to do it. I was tempted to save it for a Cuban Crisis GB (if it ever got off the ground!) but the kit has 'Hoagy' Carmichael's a/c so it qualifies for this GB.

Quite a basic kit actually which will need some scratch-building in the cockpit (unless someone has a Fisher resin pit they want to sell...oh and perhaps a wing fold?). Purchased courtesy of Shar2 at Telford in some dodgy deal in the car park!

I've ordered some seat belts from the big H to pick up at MK show. Hope I can do this one justice!

001_zpsdd1a6aa3.jpg

002_zpsa357af29.jpg

Keep you posted!

• Like 4

Yay! Will look forward to seeing what you can do with it. Dodgy deal indeed, just because I had my minder with me at the time. :D

And by God, he IS dodgy :winkgrin:

Aha! Now the mini FAA build is starting to gather some momentum...

I'll also be watching closely. :)

Sean

Believe me Sean...this kit is hardly "mini"...(although I knew what you meant!) :tease:

• Like 1

HOY!!!!!!!

Dodgy indeed !!!!!!

Ive got feelings

Somewhere

:rofl: I may have taken advantage of the fact you have been on nights mate and maybe wouldn't have noticed! I have feelings too...feelings that you may have been picked on in your temporary absence!

There's a list of fixes and corrections for this one on Large scale planes, sorry I don't have a linky.

Its not that bad a kit if your prepared to put some effort in.

It is nowhere near as bad as the doom sayers whinged about and is a decent alternative

to those that cant afford the Fisher monster.

• Like 1

There's a list of fixes and corrections for this one on Large scale planes, sorry I don't have a linky.

Its not that bad a kit if your prepared to put some effort in.

It is nowhere near as bad as the doom sayers whinged about and is a decent alternative

to those that cant afford the Fisher monster.

Thanks Danni - I'll have a search

• 1 month later...

Bit of a result on this one - having resigned myself to a lot of scratch-building....Aviation Megastore has just mailed me that it has the Fisher cockpit and wheelwell sets in - duly ordered! Expensive but will be well worth it...should be starting soon! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Look what arrived from Holland yesterday! :bounce::Tasty:

001_zps29b690cb.jpg

These sets look gorgeous - they will be bathed tonight in anticipation of making a start...

The new undercarriage and wheel well set - look at the detail on this baby

002_zps351afe1a.jpg

The cockpit

003_zpsde34647a.jpg

And a very nice looking prop and spinner with jig

004_zpsb0e380c6.jpg

Well worth the money IMHO :frantic:

• Like 1

Great kit I thoroughly enjoyed building mine, I did invest in the Fisher prop but regret not getting a replacement canopy (Fisher or the Squadron Typhoon one) unless there is one hiding in the cockpit set as the kit one is definately dodgy.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Great kit I thoroughly enjoyed building mine, I did invest in the Fisher prop but regret not getting a replacement canopy (Fisher or the Squadron Typhoon one) unless there is one hiding in the cockpit set as the kit one is definately dodgy.

Cheers

Dennis

Yep one in the cockpit set Dennis :thumbsup:

I've started this one now. Bathed the resin in soapy water and let it all air dry on kitchen paper.

I've started with the 'pit after priming the parts with Halfords Primer. The rein bits need some clean up especially the smaller parts but a sharp scalpel and a skinny sanding stick should suffice. Here are the seat and the back of the pit. The back already has the seat support CA'd on. The seat has a moderate block underneath and I eventually was a little enthusiastic with my razor saw and left a small hole in the seat pan, so I've CA's some ultra thin card in place to cover it. Usually do this on every kit I've had a resin 'pit - will I ever learn?

003_zpsb0d8f5bb.jpg

Resin rudder pedals and stick in place after some clean up. The pedal adjustment wheel is an etch piece and sits at the front of the pedals. Mr Fisher's instructions are clear enough with photographs to help.

004_zps07af7b95.jpg

005_zpse26a6258.jpg

Side walls cleaned up too - lovely detail. I'm going to have to remove all the (very basic) Hobbycraft detail as I'm going to use these beauties. I've added the throttle quadrant in resin and the throttle. The fuel mix lever will be added later and is in etch..

006_zpse6a7acbc.jpg

CA'd the rear bulkhead in place - nice fit but may need some trimming once I come to fit it. I have also made up the etch compass holder and I'm now ready to paint the whole thing. NATO black, slightly lightened and then a drybrush of Neutral Grey and Silver to pop the detail. Detail painting will follow.

Thanks for looking...all comments welcome as usual

• Like 1

Looking good Andy. The cockpit detail looks amazing!

Sean

Thanks Sean.. Pity it will need a torch to see it all in that tiny 'pit opening - at least I know its there!

Thanks Sean.. Pity it will need a torch to see it all in that tiny 'pit opening - at least I know its there!

It's always the same with these things, you spend ages beautifully detailing it and then you need an Endoscope to see the damn thing! :doh:

Sean

• Like 1

A bit of an enforced hiatus on this while we moved the eldest into his new love nest...and I've been busy with house-move stuff too

After priming the 'pit I painted it NATO Black and then dry-brushed some GW Runefang Steel to try and pop the detail.

001_zpsf85eb8f8.jpg

I set to work on the seat and painted the leather quilted seat back Humbrol Brick Red as a base coat.

002_zps268a4907.jpg

This was then given a Flory wash and a dry-brush with Humbrol Tan Leather to give it a scuffed look

008_zpsaa7cea54.jpg

Some fiddly etch for the various levers including the throttle quadrant and then some detail painting to the side walls and the rest of the main 'pit

010_zpsc706aa40.jpg

011_zpsdbd6b8b8.jpg

The seat belts were painted ready for fixing in place. The compass has been separated and bent to shape, primed and painted (see next post)

003_zps858753b3.jpg

There is some carving to do according to Paul Fisher's instructions and one of the first things is to remove the 'hump' at the front of the windshield. This was marked with tape and then attacked with a brand new scalpel blade and the razor saw to remove as shown

004_zps1e1e5c9e.jpg

005_zpsc59a848d.jpg

007_zps48f7b6fa.jpg

I'm going to use all the 'pit resin, so the (very basic and incorrect) moulded on wall detail has to come off. Started by snipping off what I could get at before getting out the Dremel...

006_zpsdce6a108.jpg

009_zps370d5bcf.jpg

Starting to get some momentum on this now - hope to have the 'pit ready by the weekend including the IP. Thanks for looking and all comments welcome!

• Like 3