1/48 Tamiya F-84G Thunderjet +++FINISHED+++

AndyC

Hi all

This will be build #1 - the very nice and detailed Tamiya F-84G. Picked up in the kit swap at Telford for £10 3 years ago, it came with an extra set of Korean War decals, which I may use.

003_zpsb80c395b.jpg

004_zps6d0c9465.jpg

Looking forward to this one as its a great kit. See you all soon.

Decided to get on with this one - it's the 3rd one I've built over the years so I know most of the quirks!

Tamiya very kindly give you a blooming great ball-bearing as a nose weight to glue in place with a strap and this was glued

001_zps517ede07.jpg

The cockpit was typical of the time - Lifecolor Interior Green sprayed below the IP and side panels in Tamiya XF-1 everywhere else. Detail painting done following some good cockpit pics online...the finished effect was dry-brushed with Tamiya Neutral Grey and then GW Runefang Steel. I used the decals for the dials.

002_zps25852f96.jpg

003_zps8ff2c472.jpg

004_zps4e66f601.jpg

The seat was also glued - it's quite nice and the cushion and headrest were painted Xtracrylix Olive Drab. The belts were added later using the kit decals

005_zpsbf856eef.jpg

Wheel wells and u/c doors were sprayed Tamiya Chrome Yellow

006_zps08e85380.jpg

Jet pipe and face sprayed Tamiya Dark Iron...

007_zps84ac2acd.jpg

Nice bit of progress - but then I've done it before...it's like falling off a bike when you know how :banghead:

Thanks for looking

• Like 2

Some more progress...

'Pit has been glued in. The gun bay is nice but I won't be displaying it as it will interfere with painting even though I know the fit is poor as it's designed to be shown open

001_zps71f11e0c.jpg

Air brake and nose well added

002_zps5303c7c1.jpg

All buttoned up - the fit is pretty good - it IS a Tamiya kit after all!

003_zps0eedc773.jpg

Wings glued - you have the option to leave off the wing-tip tanks but I hardly ever seen one without them, so they will be fitted

004_zps6e186cee.jpg

Here are the tanks prior to seam removal and a top view of the fuselage

005_zps76ef8f21.jpg

Wings fitted and gun cover in place - this will need some vigorous sanding and re-scribing

006_zps98994cea.jpg

Once they were noted as inferior to the MiG-15, they became the fighter-bomber of the war...so this will be armed appropriately!

007_zps9229cfc5.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 4

Hi,

good to see the F84 in the GB!, got one in the stash too (another one), pit looks good from the box ,

is that true Republic sprayed their aircraft with a paint like high speed silver & they were not bare metal?

Andy.

• Like 1

Hi,

good to see the F84 in the GB!, got one in the stash too (another one), pit looks good from the box ,

is that true Republic sprayed their aircraft with a paint like high speed silver & they were not bare metal?

Andy.

Not sure about the paint Andy. If you look at contemporary photos, the finish could vary into several different shades of aluminium (paint or NMF) to give a somewhat patchwork effect and the operational effect was quite a dull finish.

Some more progress on this after my fights with the Special Hobby Gloster Pioneer (that I thought I was doing for fun!)...

Tanks on and fuselage and wing seams getting sorted. There is not much to do if you take time gluing it

001_zpsb082e1f7.jpg

I will model this with dropped flaps - not something I usually do

002_zpse1bc0420.jpg

Gunsight in place and seams sorted

003_zpse3c43ef3.jpg

Wheels sprayed Rubber Black and the hubs painted GW Runefang Steel

004_zps5d6ca141.jpg

Canopy masked up using Eduard masks

005_zps8a014f17.jpg

Nearly ready for some Halfords Grey and a rub down with 1500 wet and dry before thinking about NMF...Thanks for looking

• Like 1

I don't think Special Hobby and fun should ever been combined in the same sentence though...

With you on that one mate!

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get some Alclad paint on this after beating the Gloster Pioneer into submission!

Tamiya Semi Gloss Black sprayed and rubbed down with 1500 grade wet and dry

001_zps5c44703b.jpg

Alclad Airframe Aluminium (which is duller than plain Aluminium) sprayed as initial coat

002_zps1c733bf1.jpg

003_zps7c48d588.jpg

Panels masked and Dull Aluminium sprayed. The area underneath the cockpit always appears darker on photos of operational Thunderjets. If you put Tamiya tape onto the unsealed Alclad to one side of a panel line, burnish it and then strip it, you can achieve subtle changes and you get a slight patchwork of Aluminium...

004_zps7dbfc254.jpg

005_zps089a0be3.jpg

She has now been sprayed with Alclad Gloss varnish ready for some decals. Thanks for looking

• Like 3

Thanks for the comments all...bit of a false dawn as far as decalling went...as I suddenly realised I hadn't painted the OD anti-glare and rear deck...so out with the masking tape and on with the OD sprayed with Lifecolor

001_zps9bac20c6.jpg

I decided to do the yellow and black striped one in the box decals as I hadn't done this before and this meant the bose ring needed to be painted Chrome Yellow. Rather than another mask job, I broke out a flat brush and hand-painted it with Tamiya. Rubbish finish as anyone who has tried to hand-paint with improperly thinned Tamiya paint. Horrible - so out with the sandpaper and sanded the worst off...stepped back and thought...why not leave that as a weathered nose? I will also distress the OD to match to show a hard working fighter bomber.

Now to the decals. Boy am I glad I have two sets of these (current and old un-used set). I cocked up one of the tail decals which ripped and went in the bin and also one of the side cockpit decals too. Don't know what I would have done if I didn't have the spares

Usual Tamiya decals (see the other recent thread). Plenty of hot water and then lavishly hit with MicroSol...

002_zps4ba1d4c6.jpg

The tip tanks were even more stressful and will need a minor touch up with the OOO brush

003_zps960c54f9.jpg

However its starting to look quite smart - bar any further disasters!

004_zps9e49acf4.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 5

Looking quite smart indeed.

I've never been a fan of the Thunderjet, but it's been growing on me throughout the group build. :D

Sean

• Like 1