F-84 Thunderjet Tamiya 1/72 - Finished

AndrewE

This will be my second build of for the GB. I will be building it straight from the box with some assistance from an Eduard mask set for the canopy. I did have a set of Aeromaster decals for this kit at one time but I cannot find them now, luckily one of the kit options is a Korean war bird. I also have an Aires resin cockpit for the kit but the quality of the kit is such that it adds very little so I shall not be using it. The only thing lacking is some seat belts (although decals are provided) but I shall use the brass ones left over from my P-80 build.

Andrew

P4170771_zpsad8bc46f.jpg

• Like 2

It is supposed to be a superb kit to build...

If I finish my F4U-4 in time, I plan to carry on with the F-84E, but in Academy boxing... It'll be interesting to see how they compare!

Have fun!

JR

• 3 weeks later...

The build has been coming along nicely over the last couple of weeks. Trying to keep all three of my Korean GB builds at the same stage, so this is now primed and ready for Alclad.

This a a very nice kit from Tamiya and has gone together very well so far. Great level of detail in the kit and very little filler needed.

P4220783_zps57c21a5e.jpg

P4220782_zpsbfb24133.jpg

P5100793_zpsd8d509ca.jpg

P5070789_zps65cf3302.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alclad now on, hopefully I can finish off the rest of the painting today and tomorrow. This was a overall coat of Aluminium and then a couple of wing panels in White Aluminium and some darker panels on the fuselage in a mix of Steel and Magnesium. I have over sprayed these darker areas this morning with Aluminium as in the cold light of the morning they looked far too dark. I also applied some post shading last night with the same dark mixture and again toned it down this morning as there was too much contrast.

P5250742_zps9aaa8425.jpg

P5250745_zpsf5c2a373.jpg

• Like 3

Painting finished and decals on.

P5280747_zps93f640f0.jpg

P5280748_zps640a9e09.jpg

• Like 4

Hello Andrew,

Lovely build thus far, especially the metallic shades on the airframe panels and I'm sure a fine completed jet is just around the corner. I'm keen to see how your canopy framing turns out; it looks as though you've been careful to replicate the heavy framing of these jets.

cheers,

Andrew.

• Like 1

Finished. Very pleased with how the Eduard masks worked on the canopy. This was the first time I have used them but I shall be using them more often in the future (must be getting lazy in my old age!).

I decided to leave off the rocket boosters but other than that it was straight from the kit. I was pleasantly surprised as well by how easily the Tamiya decals went on - I was expecting them to be rather thick but they conformed to the surface detail very well and no silvering in sight.

Andrew

P6040755_zps239d0726.jpg

P6040751_zpse12fbbf9.jpg

P6040753_zps9a15649d.jpg

P6040762_zpsf6709fcc.jpg

P6040750_zps7edcc860.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If it weren't for your fingers in one of the pics I would have thought this to be the 1/32 Hobbyboss kit, never a 1/72 model. It looks excellent.

Or maybe you have huuuge hands.......

• Like 1