Curtiss Tomahawk 1:72

An Airfix starter kit. Curtiss Tomahawk flown by Neville Duke in WW2 of the No.112 Squadron based in Libya, 1941. He ended the war with 27 victories flying Tomahawks, Kittyhawks and the Spitfire before going on to becoming a test pilot.

683c0527_l.jpeg

2e90c422_l.jpeg

aa642d1b_l.jpeg

3bd13d4f_l.jpeg

It was a fun kit, I enjoyed making it. The colour scheme was what sold me on buying this. I hadn't built a plane with a face before so the shark jaws motif sold me on it :)

Edited by BomberBrit
  • Like 4

Nice camo & a nice kit, one of these is very high on my to do list, but [whisper] you've got the undercarriage on the wrong way around, the wheels should be on the outsides of the legs[/whisper] ;)

Steve.

Nice camo & a nice kit, one of these is very high on my to do list, but [whisper] you've got the undercarriage on the wrong way around, the wheels should be on the outsides of the legs[/whisper] ;)

Steve.

Thanks!

Must have misread the instructions. I'll give that a fix later. Easy thing to correct... thankfully :P:)

You've done a good job of a nice kit. I have exactly the same deco in mind for mine.

For your next kit, try and paint he cockpit frames. For your first attempts, a thin brush will do the trick without the pain of masking. Just use a tooth pick trimmed flat to clean any paint on the transparencies after 10 minutes or so. The whole model will be much better looking!

And Airfix must have induced thousands of modelers in thinking the spinner was black, when it was red...

A damn good effort.

Cheers

JR

jean, on 21 Apr 2014 - 2:46 PM, said:

You've done a good job of a nice kit. I have exactly the same deco in mind for mine.

For your next kit, try and paint he cockpit frames. For your first attempts, a thin brush will do the trick without the pain of masking. Just use a tooth pick trimmed flat to clean any paint on the transparencies after 10 minutes or so. The whole model will be much better looking!

And Airfix must have induced thousands of modelers in thinking the spinner was black, when it was red...

A damn good effort.

Cheers

JR

Thanks for your comments!

I love the decals and colour scheme for this model. The desert scheme looks pretty cool, I'm going to keep an eye out for other kits with similar schemes I think.

My next kit is either going to be an Airfix Gladiator from my stash or a IL-28 Beagle bomber (if it's still in stock when I pass the shop tomorrow!). I'll give painting the cockpit a go with one of them, I can't remember seeing in the Airfix instructions that the canopy needs painting but, looking at other models, it adds a touch of realism.

I have my first constructed model (A Tamiya Jaguar) which looks a little shoddy that I may delegate to practising duties :P Rather than mess up a new, half-decent model :)

Heh, didn't know that about the Tomahawk's spinner. Shame Airfix can't throw in a bit of red paint rather than mislead everyone :P. I guess when doing starter kits with pre-supplied paint in the future, I'll refer to pictures online. I've actually got some red paint so once I get round to fixing the wheels, I'll give the spinner a paint to get it looking right :)

Thanks for pointing that out, much appreciated!

Edited by BomberBrit
  • Like 2

Nice job, I'm currently building the Academy P40. I agree that it looks good in this camo, you've done a cracking job.

Thanks for your kind words, glad you like it! :)

I look forward to seeing your finished Academy version. I'll look out for it here if you'll be posting pictures up.

Great work! I am also a sucker for anything with a sharks mouth on it, pretty much the reason I buy a kit :D !! I also love the two tone brown desert camo, I've got a desert Hurricane and Spit both high on my build list! Congrats on a great model, and as already mentioned, give painting the canopy a go next time, it'll make a huge difference and you've definitely got the talent to do it. Looking forward to seeing the Gladiator or IL-28!

Great work! I am also a sucker for anything with a sharks mouth on it, pretty much the reason I buy a kit :D !! I also love the two tone brown desert camo, I've got a desert Hurricane and Spit both high on my build list! Congrats on a great model, and as already mentioned, give painting the canopy a go next time, it'll make a huge difference and you've definitely got the talent to do it. Looking forward to seeing the Gladiator or IL-28!

Thanks, glad you like it!

I'm definitely going to have a go at canopy painting. Just hope it doesn't go tits up :P. Doing the Il-28 as my next model, fingers crossed I don't mess it up!

• Like 1