Tamiya 1/48 Royal Navy Sea Harrier FRS.1

Rickpadwick1801

29 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Tamiya 1/48 Sea Harrier FRS.1 a good kit ?

• Yes
    • No

Hi Everyone,

This afternoon I picked up a Tamiya 1/48 scale Royal Navy Sea Harrier FRS.1 from my local Hobbycraft for £11.04 after using a 15% off voucher I got for registering one of my e-mail addresses with the hobbycraft club.

Now a short while ago, bentwaters81tfw quoted my post and said that I have been robbed by the shop.

I would just like to know if I should be taking this kit back i.e. are there problems with the kit ?

If anyone can advise why bentwaters81tfw has said that I would like to know (I have posted on the thread asking him, but he is offline). I will take it back on Bank Holiday Monday if I need to take it back.

I have also put a post on this thread and would like your opinions.

Thanks as always.

Rick

It's terrible. Shape errors, overdone surface details, crap decals, the works... :owww:

Take it back to the shop and get the Airfix one instead.

Worth doing a search in the forums for more info.

It's terrible. Shape errors, overdone surface details, crap decals, the works... :owww:

Take it back to the shop and get the Airfix one instead.

Worth doing a search in the forums for more info.

Thanks very much.

I will take it back on Monday morning and replace it with something different, I have now gotta decide what to get now.

Rick

I don't think I could add to what has already been said about the kit; I always recommend the Airfix one over the Tamiya kit, but to be honest, both are shoddy and dated. I think unless scale is a deciding factor, I'd go with one of the newer 1/72 Airfix Harriers.

Just a heads up though; when you go in, make sure you can get the 15% back on the exchange. It shouldn't be a problem, but you know how some general assistants can be...

*edit; just saw your post above; ignore everything I said!

Edited by daryl_five_zero

A 1/48 Tamiya kit for little more than a tenner? The price should prompt some questions. The advantage of buying at Hobbycraft is that you won't feel awkward about exchanging it for something you'll enjoy more.

They didn't have anything that I was looking for, so I bought my new kit from the works.

I am also going to be looking online for my kits online from now on due to better selections.

Rick

They didn't have anything that I was looking for, so I bought my new kit from the works.

I am also going to be looking online for my kits online from now on due to better selections.

Rick

What I do is google the kit before I buy,you generally can find lots of build reviews so you can judge for yourself if it;s worth buying.

What I do is google the kit before I buy,you generally can find lots of build reviews so you can judge for yourself if it;s worth buying.

Smartphones today have made this possible everywhere, for which I'm quite happy ! I remember having bought several kits in the past just to find when back home that these were not that great. Today, even if I feel the impulse, I can google on my mobile and decide with a better knowledge.. not that this means I always bring home good kits, but this is more due to me being somewhat stubborn sometimes.... :lol:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I took it back this morning and got my hands on a Revell 1:48 scale Republic P-47N Thunderbolt from the works for £10.

Hate to be a doom and gloom but if you do a quick search on the Revell p-47n you'll find a lot of folk complaining that it's a right pig to build and that there are real problems with the design - for example the wings should have a dihedral but instead are modeled completely flat. Also the undercarriage is prone to being snapped because you have to construct it as part of the wing early in the build. Don't get me wrong some guys have done amazing things with the kit, but they all complained about the amount of cutting, filling and sanding that was required to get it right.