X-47B US Navy UCAS - Freedom Model Kits 1:48

Mike

No - folks that do fly-fishing sometimes tie their own flies (dunno why - everyone needs a hobby! ^_^ ), and they often use lead wire. It's made by a company called Turrall and costs around £2 for a 5m roll :)

Ville at HPNS came through as always with my replacement bottle of AKAN Neutral Grey FS36270, and after lounging about in a stupor yesterday due to a virus, I managed to get a little of this new paint on the airframe. I'm still working on getting the tonal variation right at the moment as it's a newish airframe, but so far I'm impressed with the paint. It goes on very nicely and covers well, even when it's thinned down by quite a margin. I doubt I'll get a photo up tonight, but if I can get some bench time tomorrow, I might get it somewhere near done and ready for a gloss coat. :)

it was all done freehand using a 000 Windsor & Newton Series 7 brush (IMHO the best brushes you can buy over the counter) using some Xtracrylix and Lifecolor shades.

Is there a trade in under the counter brushes?

:lol: there might be, although I wouldn't know anything about it sir... Were you looking for something.... special? :ninja:

Technically, that yellow is Desert pink, would you believe? Just goes to show that the camera is a dirty liar! :photo:

As well as being one of your usual entertaining builds, this thread has got me thinking (I know, always a dangerous thing!). There are getting so many UAV/drone kits available, Might it not make for an interesting subject for a GB? After all, there ain't no cockpits to paint................................... :hmmm:

Martin

:lol: Thinking again Martin - hasn't the nurse been round with the meds yet? :rolleyes: The lack of cockpit does make for a speedy completion, although the way I slow down toward the end, you'd be forgiven for thinking not. The reason for the slow-down, is that I've usually been neglecting reviewing when I start a kit, so it often has to take a back seat while I compose some more meaninglessful verbiage for the backlog :frantic:

As well as being one of your usual entertaining builds, this thread has got me thinking (I know, always a dangerous thing!). There are getting so many UAV/drone kits available, Might it not make for an interesting subject for a GB? After all, there ain't no cockpits to paint................................... :hmmm:

Martin

To be honest, I approve but then again I would wouldn't I?

Martin

Sorry about the hiatus there... was starting a new project, and you know how new projects get in the way of finishing old ones ;) I was also waiting for some additional paint, but that didn't take long to arrive from Ville at HPNS :) I'm using AKAN paints for the first time, and I have gotten along famously with them, using Ultimate Thinners as my thinning medium. I like 'em a lot, and they spray really well. You get a little build-up on the nozzle when you're doing delicate work, but a cotton bud next to the airbrush is handy for wiping off the debris. Using FS36270 Neutral Grey (77102), White (78001) and Black (78004), did a black pre-shade of the bomb bay and wheel bay lips where there seems to be an accumulation of grime on the real thing. I airbrushed the main colour over, and then used a darkened shade to add more shadows and dirt here and there, which was then cut back with a misting of the base colour over the top to prevent it appearing like the old patchwork quilt we often hear about. Then it was a case of adding a very little dot of white to the base grey, and adding a bit of tonal variation here and there. I also tried to enhance some of the more prominent areas around the nose and leading edges of the wings, plus a soupçon of light streaking here and about.

I think I'm going to have to reduce the streaking from the vents on the spine, as on looking back at my refs, they don't seem to chuck out much soot, but that's only the work of moments. While I'm there, I'll re-align the APU soot-print, which looks like it gets drawn back over the spine toward the exhausts by the jetwash. That will probably look better if I re-apply it using some smoke - which reminds me... must paint that APU flap! :hmmm: Once I'm happy with the overall look, I'll gloss it up and start adding decals.

painting1.jpg

painting2.jpg

• Like 2

The pre-shading is a fairly old technique, which comprises of airbrushing a darker paint along and around panel lines and areas that you want to remain darker after the event. Then you spray the top colour over the area, leaving a hint of the darker colour showing through. It can look rather heavy-handed if you leave too much showing through, but if you do it carefully, it can be quite effective. I wanted a more obvious look on this occasion, as the grease from ground handling seems to have attracted a fair quantity of dirt in these areas :)

Ok - she's fresh out of the spray booth and shiny, courtesy of a few coats of Alclad Aqua Gloss. Before I applied it I reduced the impact of the vent sooting on the top of the fuselage by misting the base coat over it until it looked ok. I'll let it set up a bit then break out the decals :)

painting3.jpg

The gloss has darkened the colour a little, but that'll probably lighten again when I put a matt coat over the decals :)

• Like 2

Do you mean the patina of the plastic? Absolutely hadn't noticed if I'm honest, so it can't be much of a problem! :blush: There's a little orange-peel evident around the intake area in my pic, but I think that's just my own work with the Aqua Gloss. I will just take a fine sander and cut it back as that's all it really needs. :)

In a two-session decal-fest, I've now got all the decals on, and although they were a bit leathery, they're very well tailored to the kit, especially the wingtip markings. I had to cut the centres out of all the static port decals to centre them, but that was surprisingly easy :) There's a typo in the "Beware of Blast" decals, which turns them into "Be were of Blast", but they're only wee things, so most people won't see it. I've got detail painting of the aerials and various ports to do, and then another coat of gloss before a panel line wash using some more Ultimate Products Dark Dirt :ninja:

decals1.jpg

decals2.jpg

• Like 5

After a couple more gloss coats and some sanding to reduce the appearance of the carrier film on some of the decals, I've now applied a generous dollop of Ultimate Dark Dirt wash, which I've removed with a moist piece of kitchen towel, and a damp cotton bud where space was tight. I left one wing un-cleaned because it hadn't quite dried, then forgot to clean it before I took the photos... oh well! :shrug:

wash1.jpg

wash2.jpg

I've unmasked the exhaust, which has convinced me that the shade I used before wasn't appropriate. The real thing is more grey and sooty, especially after some use, so I'll be doing some masking and repainting before I put a matt coat on the airframe. My Dad has planed and glued the frame for the carrier deck section, so next time I pop over I'll retrieve it and start thinking about what stain to use on the Mahogany. After that I really have to give some thought to how best to portray the deck texture coating, which seems to have been applied in sections using some kind of roller. If anyone's got any good shots of the decks of US carriers that shows this texture, I'd be grateful of a look at them :)

I almost forgot. I've stuffed up the line in the intake between white and grey, so I'm going to have to do something about that, but as yet I'm not sure what. Possibly a piece of decal sprayed with grey, but I'm undecided as yet. :hmmm:

• Like 3

After a couple more gloss coats and some sanding to reduce the appearance of the carrier film on some of the decals, I've now applied a generous dollop of Ultimate Dark Dirt wash, which I've removed with a moist piece of kitchen towel, and a damp cotton bud where space was tight. I left one wing un-cleaned because it hadn't quite dried, then forgot to clean it before I took the photos... oh well! :shrug:

I've unmasked the exhaust, which has convinced me that the shade I used before wasn't appropriate. The real thing is more grey and sooty, especially after some use, so I'll be doing some masking and repainting before I put a matt coat on the airframe. My Dad has planed and glued the frame for the carrier deck section, so next time I pop over I'll retrieve it and start thinking about what stain to use on the Mahogany. After that I really have to give some thought to how best to portray the deck texture coating, which seems to have been applied in sections using some kind of roller. If anyone's got any good shots of the decks of US carriers that shows this texture, I'd be grateful of a look at them :)

I almost forgot. I've stuffed up the line in the intake between white and grey, so I'm going to have to do something about that, but as yet I'm not sure what. Possibly a piece of decal sprayed with grey, but I'm undecided as yet. :hmmm:

Here's a pic of the deck coating I took on the USS Midway, I would imagine the texture is still similar on the Nimitz class ships.

IMG_0816_zps658b2bce.jpg

Stephen

Thanks guys, and Stephen, thanks - that looks just like the pic I have of the Nimitz deck. Looks a lot like Shell-Grip that's been applied by a big roller, doesn't it? I am trying to find a larger view so I can get the pattern that it's laid down in straight in my mind. I know it's laid down in an overlap fashion, so there are ridges where there's a double coat, but I'm sure I've seen it somewhere where it's cross-hatched, with the layers running perpendicular to eachother. More scouting of Google required, I think :)

fantastic work, got admit im after this kit myself been tempted on getting from luckymodel as cheapest ive seen, but moneys tight at moment!!!

enjoyed reading your build thread, some very nice work , cant wait see finished item

Thanks Dave - sorry, didn't see that one! :blush:

Planning on coating her up with some matt this avo, after I've applied the decal strip to rectify my boo-boo with the intake demarcation. I found out that AKAN doesn't like my decal film, and would craze madly a few minutes after application. I switched to Gunze to cover the last strip I hadn't stuffed up, and that's now got a coat of Aqua Gloss curing on it. Wish me luck! :unsure: