X-47B US Navy UCAS - Freedom Model Kits 1:48

Mike

Thanks John :)

I remembered earlier that I'd taken a quick snap of the base when I was round collecting it after my dad's hard work on making the frame for it out of recycled mahogany. We cut the lengths and mitres together about a week ago, and he glued it with the help of my mum the other day. He's also installed some corner braces behind the back to give it a bit more rigidity. It's incredibly dense wood that would have cost a fortune new, so I'd better make the right choice of stain, and do the base justice now, hadn't I? :unsure:

base01.jpg

Apologies for the phone quality pic and casual framing of it (excuse the pun too!). Oh, and that's my dad's arm and hideous jumper, not mine! :owww:

• Like 1

Quick question, while I'm thinking about it. Those two hatches on the deck. Are they open or closed when an aircraft is on the cat? My deck handling knowledge is next to nothing, so I'm looking for a bit of advice :)

Lookin very good indeed Mike. The deck finish looks the same as that on the Bulwark back in the '60's but by the time you have scalled it down to 48th, it will hardly be noticable. Maybe one of those hard rubber rollers artists use might just give that effect. Good job the typo didn't sat Beer we a Blast. My FM Vertol 44 had similar mis smelt pencils...

Colin

Happy June everyone :)

I've got most of the bits together and the airframe has had a matt coat, although I've left a slight sheen on it to mimic the real thing. When I was putting on the main gear bay doors, I noticed from my refs that the inner doors are usually closed on the ground. Even though I'd painted them up for posing open, I took the decision to lop off the hinges and adjust them so that they would fit flush to the fuselage, which took a bit of work, as the interior of the bay doors weren't shaped close enough to fit the bays - especially the shallow part at the pointed front end. Much scraping and testing resulted, but they fitted ok in the end, and were glued shut. All that work painting the red edging was effectively wasted :shrug:

I also repainted the exhausts with a much more sooty shade by doing a little spot masking, as the original was a bit clean compared to the "operational" machine.

airframe4.jpg

airframe5.jpg

There are just a few small parts left to put on such as aerials & such, but work will now focus on the base (and the Vulcan). :)

• Like 5

Don't you just hate it when you spot something like the doors right at the end of the build? Looks like you got away with it though, I can't see anything amiss.

It's going to look great on that base.

Cheers

John

Thanks John - it was a heart in mouth moment when I nipped off the hinges and started scraping at the paintwork, but it turned out ok. I like the fact that the parts are slightly oversized (only fractionally), as it gives me the ability to reduce them for best fit. Having already painted the edges, anyone looking in (not that they could see much) would still see the red edging on the lip of the door.

Next up... tiny antennae :nerd:

I'm still pondering the texture at the moment. I've epoxied some 6.5mm balsa sheet under some of the larger parts of the base in order to increase stability while I'm working on it, but I'm yet to have a test run on the base texture. :)

Cheers fellas - just got to get on with the base now. :rolleyes: I've primed up three figures to go with it, but I'm waiting for some clear varnish to put on the frame, then I'll epoxy it to the base and mask it off before I crack on :)

:lol: thanks for the chivvying up boys. I've not had much time for the workshop this last week for a number of reasons, but I've got the clear varnish for the frame now, so once I get a bit of time I can give it a few coats, then epoxy the base into it, and begin seam filling in earnest :)