Zvezda 1/72 scale Su-27SM

I have been eagerly awaiting this kit - so I ordered it from Hannants on 16 April - and it arrived this morning - the 19th

Excellent service from them :goodjob:

Su-27SM_01.jpg

Su-27SM_02.jpg

Note that the stand is not included.

I won't bore you with pics of all the sprues - you can see them here.

The kit is incredibly well moulded - with exquisite detail.... note the wheel hub and afterburner flame holder....

Su-27SM_11.jpg

Two pilot figures are included - standing and seated.......

Su-27SM_12.jpg

.... the seated figure is 'posable'........

Su-27SM_13.jpg

Whilst it doesn't have the 'Omega'/horseshoe shape cross-section, the canopy has no seam line down the middle to remove - perfectly acceptable in this scale IMHO.

The IRST ball is separate from the windscreen making for easier conversions.....

Su-27SM_14.jpg

For the first time ever (IIRC?) Zvezda have got the correct difference between the size of the fin root intakes (although they do need drilling out)......

Su-27SM_15.jpg

The auxilliary blow-in shutters on the bottom of the intakes are moulded in place (although I think there should be one more set of grooves?)

Su-27SM_16.jpg

Zvezda's Alexander Adamtsov has cleverly designed the upper forward fuselage as a separate part - allowing for different versions such as the Su-27UB to be kitted with the minimum of mould changes......

Su-27SM_17.jpg

... the big worry is that there is a joint seam to hide - but it looks a good fit....(it is only taped together here)

Su-27SM_18.jpg

I haven't checked out overall accuracy & fit - but it all looks good so far.

The kits has some amazing tiny details - the seat has webbing (left off if the pilot figure is used) - a side throttle is included, the L/E slats are separate, all the undercarriage doors have actuating rams, there are separate doors for the open & closed options, there is an actuating ram included for the raised canopy, a boarding ladder, wheel chocks and intake blanks are provided etc etc.....

Slightly disapointing is the fact that the horizontal stabilisers are moulded in the 'flight' position - there are normally drooped at rest - as are the flaps - so a bit of surgery is called for.

But these are just minor quibbles - this looks to be the definitive Flanker kit in 1/72 scale - AT LAST!

Not that I am in any way obsessive about Flankers - but this is one of those 'drop everything and get started' kits...

More to come....

Ken

• Like 4

I don`t know how I missed this thread!!

It would be great to see some pictures of the joints on the top part of the fuselage and see how you hide them...

It looks like a must have.

I hope they can come up with more variants soon.

Following with interest.

:popcorn:

Adrian

It looks like it is not far from painting...

Have you got those colours sorted?

Does Akan have them?

I still don`t have the models in my hands but I have been looking for a match...

Vallejo has got something that might be

a good start point...

Model color 844 Deep sky blue (lighter blue)

Model color 962 Flat blue (darker blue)

What do you think?

Adrian

Some progress over the weekend......

The K-36 ejection is well done in plastic - perfectly adequate for a closed canopy model..... (although it looks better in the flesh! - close-up photography is not very flattering :analintruder:

Su-27SM_40.jpg

The offset IRST is achieved with an insert and a 'barrel' (which has a clear part for the front end)

Su-27SM_41.jpg

I have fitted the fuselage insert - but I have left off the barrel until the end to aid masking.

I have a set of AKAN Su-33 colours - so I'm going with those - they look OK to my tired old eyes

Su-27SM_42.jpg

The model is primed with Halfords White Plastic Primer and the white areas on the radome, fins etc have a final coat of Halfords Appliance Gloss White blasted on.

Su-27SM_43.jpg

(I'll rub down the slight spatter - don't worry!)

Ken

• Like 1

Looking good Ken, I have always enjoyed your Flanker builds.

You have touched, sat in and photographed The Flanker. I have a lasting memories of the First UK visit of the Flanker to Farnborough,I can remember thinking I was lucky to get with in 15 ft of the plane. The Flight display was amazing.

Thank you for sharing, your vast Knowledge and Photos of this Great Aircraft. It is greatly Appreciated.

Geoff

Looking good. I'll be interested to hear of what you make of the Akan paints. I have a set too for a Flanker.

I have just airbrushed the lighter of the two blues with a bottle of AKAN - 73065.

Its the acryllic version - and I just primed the airbrush cup with a few drops of tap water and poured a bit of the paint on top - then gave it a stir in the cup.

It went on beautifully - silky smooth finish and the airbrush cleaned up afterwards easily with water - all dried out now.

The model is drying in the airing cupboard - I'll post pics soonest.

I'm well impressed with the AKAN paint - I'm not a very good airbrusher, but this makes it so easy.

Ken

Just before airbrushing the first of the AKAN blues, I spotted this on the white-primered model.....

Su-27SM_46.jpg

Its a raised ridge on the LERX - instead of being a smooth concave curve, the fuselage curves down, then slightly back up again, before going back down to the edge of the LERX.

It's very hard to spot, but there is a definite S-shape that you can feel, rather than see.

Dunno if it is correct - just never spotted it on other Flankers.......

Anyway, here's the first colour applied.....

Su-27SM_47.jpg

Ken

• Like 1

It's on my website .... here.

There are 3 options in the kit..

1. Su-27SM Red 82 from 23 IAP based at Dzemgi (Komsomolsk-na-Amur) in 2011

2. Su-27SM3 Red 51 from Krimsk in 2013

3. Su-27SM Red 04 from the Combat Training Centre at Lipetsk in 2013

Su-27SM_09.jpg

The first two options have the standard 3-tone camo scheme.......

day_02_62.jpg

The last one - Red 04 has the latest two-colour bright blue camo scheme - seen here on its sister ship at MAKS...

Su-27SM_25.jpg

Su-27SM_24.jpg

Ken

• Like 2

I masked off the lighter blue with Blu Tak and masking tape, ready for the darker blue.

Su-27SM_52.jpg

I had trouble with Zvezda's painting guide for Red 04 - it doesn't match photos of the same machine - so I went with the photos....

http://cdn-www.airli...3/6/1568633.jpg

http://cdn-www.airli...5/2/1827250.jpg

Su-27SM_53.jpg

I'm very pleased with the result - the AKAN paints are great!

Ken

• Like 6

Decals are on - after glossing with Klear........

Su-27SM_54.jpg

There are gazillions of them - made by Begemot - and they go on superbly after a two second soak in warm water.

Su-27SM_55.jpg

Landing gear and weapons next.......

Ken

• Like 3

Ken seems to me that the base color is too dark. Must be made lighter (look at the picture on the first page)

• Like 2