Pershing double: M26A1 Pershing & M45 Howitzer Tanks *Finished*

Shermaniac

Looking again at that photo, it seems that there are two distinct variations on the green. Maybe it's just weathering ... maybe not. The lighter one appears to be similar to Hu:86, and the darker one similar to Hu:164, both with a liberal filter of dust and mud :)

Nice work, that 3rd picture looks a bit dodgy though! ;)

Sean :coat:

Oh, that's my pet slug Nigel, he got out of his box. :)

All the stowage is painted now so I'll see how it looks later on.

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 1

Well? how does it look so far.....

M26A1 current status

I know, there's a fingerprint on the left kitbag of the first picture but at least it's not clean & shiny like some of the AM stuff.

It should be noted that none of the stowage is 'fixed' to the kit as yet!

2014_05100002.jpg2014_05100007.jpg

The 'K' Ration crates (sprayed with Vallejo, Panzer Aces 'New Wood') are stock Tamiya from their Pershing kits, as are the .30cal ammo boxes.

The .30cal ammo boxes are sprayed in Vallejo Model Color US Dark Green for a different hue. No weathering has as yet been done to this project.

2014_05100008.jpg2014_05100004.jpg

Anyway! I gotta get ready for tonight's Club meeting (so, it's a general tidy up :coolio: - although some would argue that point :hmmm:)

Also, still to do: continuing on, on Sunday

• Road wheels & Return Rollers to be finished off - tyres to be painted
  • Track links and tensioners are still to be fixed to the turret
  • .50cal to be updated with RB upgrade and installed to turret
  • Track to be prepared with black & steel - should be interesting as HB track doesn't glue very well.
  • Final stowage pieces to be gathered - Jerry Can (never can find a decent one when you need it!), incidentals etc
  • Driver/co-Driver periscopes & brush guards to be installed

And all of this before the final varnish and weathering

M45 current status

Pretty much as it was before although I have started to assemble and apply some of the markings I am planning to use, more on that shortly.

Summary for Saturday 10th May

Whilst the M45 seems to be moving more slowly, there is actually a lot less to do with this build now the conversion is completed. The M26A1 is by far the more complex project and although not necessarily 'more difficult' there are many more elements to consider with all those 'little extras'

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 2

Looking again at that photo, it seems that there are two distinct variations on the green. Maybe it's just weathering ... maybe not. The lighter one appears to be similar to Hu:86, and the darker one similar to Hu:164, both with a liberal filter of dust and mud :)

There is a distinct possibility that the vehicle could be:

• from a different unit within the same command - note the lack of turret ID's
  • a newer arrival/build - note, less wear & tear of track, seemingly fresher, less faded paint
  • a lot less 'weathered' effect ergo, less active mission/use

Very importantly, don't let the picture 'freak you out' remember, you had to be there!!!! The model(s) you/I/we all do are 'representative' of a time and place and not necessarily a genetic duplicate of the original :cheers:

Nevertheless, It does present you with that 'Olive Drab' issue over which there is much debate. The best option is to pick the colour which 'you feel' best suits the situation in which you are posing your vehicle and to just, 'run with it!'

• 2 weeks later...

It has now been 14 days since my last confession :pope:

M26A1 current status:

Stowage has been PVA'd to the vehicle, Wheels are on, Track is on but, there's a problem!

2014_05240004.jpg

The track is too short and needs to be extended by one-link either side. Now this track doesn't glue (at all!) so I have a dilemma........

There are no track guards on this build so the obvious error will likely be seen. As can be seen in the picture below, the track join is between 2 half-pads.

SO, I've decided that the 'join' will be on the on the ground, the ground-work will disguise this part - I hope - but I'll need to build a couple of new track-pads to fill in the gap.

2014_05240006.jpg2014_05240005.jpg

Arranging the modified track-pad was a simple process: Part C3/19

• slice off the end connectors
  • remove the centre track tooth
  • clean up the pad and check the spacing - does it fit?
  • mark the portion to be cut back with the original track and sand down to fit
  • when ready, re-attach the end connectors centrally on the outside of each track-pad

As you can see here, the track-pad is in place (not glued) and even though it isn't painted, it does look the part and will not be noticed once weathered

2014_05240007.jpg

M45 current status:

All running gear and track is installed and there is a problem! Yep, it's the track again.......

This time, the upper run is hidden due to the track guards so a different approach is called for

2014_05240011.jpg

Old school solution - I used staples! They'll be hidden anyway so I don't need to go all hi-tech with this.

2014_05240010.jpg

The ride height is good, the torsion bar suspension is doing it's job - glad I didn't slap a load of glue over everything.

2014_05240009.jpg

You'll see lots of fuzzy bits on each model in the pictures, this is the inevitable dust and shavings found during the build process and to be honest, I couldn't be bothered to clean everything up for each picture - this is grass-roots modelling.

Summary for 24th May:

Both vehicles are coming along really well but are taking a bit longer than I thought - doing an aircraft build as well has slowed me down a bit too (build here).

I feel that these are some of my best work of late and still have a fair bit to do yet.

• Those .50cal machine guns
  • periscopes & guards on M26A1
  • fixing the upper & lower hull and final decal arrangement on M45
  • final varnish of both vehicles
  • painting of the tracks, metal finish, general weathering etc
  • mounting the M26A1 to it's base and blending in the groundwork
Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 2

What is it with the tracks in this GB? :chair:

It's usually the 'banded track' that's the issue as the Link & Length or Indy track usually have a few extra links to play with.

Banded Link&Length Indy Link

Trumpeter: good good Pretty good

HobbyBoss: too short None Pretty good

Tamiya: usually ok Varies Good when used

Italeri: too stiff not seen unknown

Oh Yes, :doh: I forgot to mention

When you try to fit the road wheels they're a bit wobbly, :hmmm: Well actually, they're whole lot wobbly!

At least the hole is too big rather than the opposite. To rectify this is simple, I used 2.5mm/1.5mm plastic tubing. Cut to lengths of 3mm (you'll need 14 of these). Each one is then split on one side and is then slid over the wheel arm (see picture above). When you are ready, the wheel should be glued in place on the wheel arm - do not glue the wheel arm to the vehicle as this WILL affect the suspension.

2014_05240002.jpg

Sunday 25th May UPDATE!

Yo! Bin playin wiv ma Guns Bruv Yeah! :coolio:

Top part is the Kit .50cal, ammo box, mount & RB Model Upgrade set (RB35B13)

Bottom part is the result of the merging of the 2 elements - and what a difference it makes! :bling:

2014_05250006.jpg

The cocking handle on the bottom MG is set too low and has subsequently been relocated correctly.

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 5

Update Wednesday 28th May 2014:

The .50cal MG ammo box for this gun are marked in Step 13 as using (Sprue C3), parts C20, C25 & C26 which is fine except :hmmm:- this is a .30cal ammo box :doh:

The correct parts for the .50cal ammo box are using (Sprue C1), parts C6, C7 & C8 :thumbsup:

What a great weapon, huh! 95 years old and going strong! One of the most evocative images I have of the Vietnam War is a Marine on a Pibber snarling and firing a Ma Deuce. I should dig it up sometime. Booyah!

Take a breath - Time for a perspective on both builds - 6 weeks to go........

Status check:

2014_05300009.jpg

2014_05300008.jpg

• Upper & Lower Hulls joined
  • Tracks painted
  • Decals applied
  • Varnish applied
  • Stowage applied (in part)

Builder psychology profile :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Build program schedule :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Extra parts assembled :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Weathering planned out :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mounting Base ready :nono:

• Like 3

6 weeks until what?

Great work by the way! :)

Sean

79 days left of GB. Lots more than I thought....

Ooops! :confused: I forgot about July!!!! :doh:

YEH! 10 and a bit weeks to go to the end of this GB, better than I though.

• Like 1

Ooops! :confused: I forgot about July!!!! :doh:

Those must be strong paint thinners in the workshop... :P

You scared me there, with my stop start building on the Sabre I thought I was running out of time!

Sean

Those must be strong paint thinners in the workshop... :P

You scared me there, with my stop start building on the Sabre I thought I was running out of time!

Sean

1236575_1411787912372331_102345166_n.jpg Courtesy of your fiendly interwebby thing

• Like 3

I see you've got screens over your grilles on the engine deck. Do I need them?

No screens anywhere. Light refraction in photos.

All engine deck screens as kit in both 1/35 & 1/48

• 2 weeks later...

Update 7th June 2014:

Stowage is attached but not too much visible changes to the Pershings as yet. The strapping to the stowage is still to be applied - good old Tamiya Tape I think.

Weathering has begun but needs more finesse

Remember this? How does it compare? Still a way to go I think.....

2014_04230002.jpg2014_06060010.jpg

Only a few weeks left now

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just like with my Shermie build over on the D-Day GB well, lets move along

Stowage tie-downs from Tamiya Tape (yes, it's a finger print!)

2014_07200006.jpg

The general arrangement is now complete just a couple of periscopes and brush guards and we're about done for the M26A1

2014_07200009.jpg

Here's the M45 - same condition

2014_07200010.jpg

Both vehicles sport new carbon fibre aerials from Accurate Armour

NEARLY THERE!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...