Airfix 1/72 F-80C Shooting Star - Finished

AndrewE

This will hopefully be the first of three builds for the GB that I shall be doing.

The date on the box is 1973 and despite its age is a very nice kit. Panel lines are very very fine raised lines which in this scale are perfect as I shall be using varying shades of Alclad to show where the panel lines are. Over the years I have collected the Airwaves brass set, True Details ejection seat, Microscale decals and a Falcon vacform canopy for the kit and I shall be making use of the all.

Not 100% sure which decal option to go for but I am leaning towards "Ramblin-Reck-Tew" which was the personal mount of Lt Robert Dewald of the 35th FBS. on 27 June 1950 he shot down a North Korean Il-10 over Seoul. This was one of the first jet kills of the war.

Andrew

P4170772_zpsed2af0c1.jpg

• Like 3

Cockpit now complete. The resin ejection seat from True Details is very nice and a better alternative to the brass one in the Airwaves set. I sahll use the seat belts from the Airwaves set on my F-84 later.

On to the undercarriage doors and air brake later before zipping up the fuselage.

Andrew

P4200775_zpsc4ff8b4d.jpg

• Like 3

Fuselage together now and replacement u/c doors made from plastic card and the Airwaves brass set. The kit is second hand and although I knew that one of the u/c doors was missing I had not realised that the jet pipe and front u/c lights were also missing. So replacement jet pipe made with some plastic tubing and I will have to raid the spares box for some u/c lights. I have since had to extend the jet pipe by a couple of mm as it should extend slightly from the end of the fuselage unlike how I positioned it to start with.

The rockets are from the spares box. The only photo I have of "Ramblin Reck Tew" show it carrying 4 rockets so thought I would go with this instead of the bombs supplied with the kit. I have also cut out the Falcon vac-form canopy which is a direct replacement for the kit one and fits very nicely.

Andrew

P4200777_zps677a29d2.jpg

P4210779_zps516df3bb.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice start ! This is in my opinion one of the best kits Airfix ever made, apart from the raised panel lines and a couple of details (like the grilles over the intakes) it could easily pass for a kit that's 20 year younger than it is.

Looking forward to seeing more !

• 2 weeks later...

All zipped up and ready for painting now. I shall be using various shades of Alclad.

P5070792_zps3312eb09.jpg

P5110742_zps71302c91.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Alclad now on and with very few panel lines left after all of the sanding I have used various shades to try and highlight some random panels lines to break up the airframe.

P5250750_zpse85be25b.jpg

P5250752_zpsec36e6c5.jpg

• Like 5

Looks good to me. It is a nice old kit, that, and you don;t see them built very often. I am mildly ashamed that I have never built one properly. When it was new out, rs2man and I tortured one to death by making it into a tutorial example of common every model-making error we could think of. Which was quite funny at the time but I do feel I owe it better treatment one day.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

Painting now finished and decals on.

P5280744_zpsc0e3898b.jpg

P5280745_zps60a0941a.jpg

• Like 2

Finished. I really enjoyed this build. The Eduard Mig15 and Tamiya F84 I built along side it it are both in another league as far as finesse and detail are concerned but with a bit of care I think the end result holds its own sitting alongside them both in the cabinet.

Andrew

P6040743_zps0217ac4e.jpg

P6040748_zps1df390d9.jpg

P6040747_zpsebb5a7c4.jpg

P6040746_zps773fda27.jpg

P6040763_zpsddfc6fa1.jpg

• Like 7