Airfix 72nd scale TigerMoth as G-ANSM

Hi folk,

Over the last few weeks I've been slowly working on the new tool Tiger Moth from Airfix in 1/72nd scale.

Work has been busy and there has been alot going on in real life so it has been a release to squirrel myself away occasionally and divert my attention to the model.

This model depicts the particular aeroplane that I was lucky enough to take a trip in. Consequently I had a few reference photos so I did add a little extra detail to the model.

Overall I found the Tiggie to be an enjoyable build. The fit was reasonable for a kit in this price bracket and very little filler was used. I added a few pipes and hoses to the airframe using reference photos as a guide and rigged the model using fishing lines threaded through eyelets of twisted wire. (They are a little large for scale I think). This is a test of patience and I found myself repeating a few old mantras in my mind as I waited for the glue to dry :hypnotised: .... :shutup:lol

The open access doors were scratch built using wine bottle foil to give a better scale thickness with stretched sprue glued to the edges. I also added the extra bracing bars to the undercart.

The paintwork replicates G-ANSM from when I flew in her, complete with torn walkway strip on the starboard lower wing.

All paints are acrylic from the Citadel or Valejo ranges. Light weathering was applied using washes of thinned paint. Like most civvie airframes she is kept pretty clean.

Anyhoo, here are the snaps. I hope you like her.

tn-Airfix-Tiger-Moth-004a.jpg

tn-Airfix-Tiger-Moth-003a.jpg

tn-Airfix-Tiger-Moth-006.jpg

tn-Airfix-Tiger-Moth-009.jpg

A big thanks to everyone who helped with my pleas and in particular to Mark (aka Cheshiretaurus) for his help with the artwork for the markings. Mark was kind enough to draw up the serials which allowed me to make a set of decals.

Cheers,

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 27

I thought those were your reference photos

Seconded! Rigging and paint finish is excellent, just compared your pics to the real thing and it really needs some effort to tell them apart.

Might I add the decals look excellent too!

• Like 1

Extremely neat and real looking! Like Jonners, my first impression of the top photo was that it was of the full scale machine. Even down to the running engine and the cockpit hatch being open for forward visibility during taxying…

Superb job!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

That little model has it all GW; superb attention to detail, a great paint and decal finish, marvellous rigging, a realistic spinning prop and excellent photography in the right setting. Very very good!

Max

• Like 1

Yep - you got me as well !!

In my part of the world (part of your Royal contingent is here by the way) its only early in the morning.

Through awakening eyes, trying to focus through the steam over my coffee mug, I too thought these photographs were real.

I kept scrolling down to find your model only to return to the text and realise that these terrific photographs were actually your model kit.

Very well done - the Airfix Tiger Moth is flavour of the month with a few of my mates and this will certainly be talked about over the long weekend.

Credit where credit is due... Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Hard to believe this is 1/72, or that it's a model at all --seeing this restores my faith in modeling the small scale, and impresses me that Airfix is putting out some fine kits lately:)

• Like 1

Martin, Jonners, many thanks. I'm glad you chaps like her. ^_^

Might I add the decals look excellent too!

Could n't have done it without you Mark. A big thumbs up and gratitude for your help, cheers. :thanks:

Even down to the running engine

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hi Joachim, thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. I'm glad you like the spinning prop. I took great care to make sure that the prop moved so a gentle blow as the shutter fires gives the illusion of a working engine. I did take a snap of the prop in a stationary position which I'll add to my first post when I've uploaded it to PB. ;)

Hello Max, many thanks for your generous comments. From reading your posts on other threads I get the impression that you know your Tiger Moths so your kind words are very welcome. I'm thrilled that you approve, thank you. ^_^

(part of your Royal contingent is here by the way)

Very well done - the Airfix Tiger Moth is flavour of the month with a few of my mates and this will certainly be talked about over the long weekend.

Credit where credit is due... Cheers.. Dave

Hi Dave. Oh dear, sorry about that. I hope they are not being too troublesome.....? :D

Thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it. I'm sure your mates will enjoy this little gem when they build it. I had a blast and agree with you that Airfix deserve their share of the credit. They really are turning out some little jewels at the moment. Long may it continue. :thumbsup:

Hi Rick, bunnylurve and Mach82, many thanks for stopping by and adding your generous thoughts. I'm thrilled by the support and encouragement, cheers guys. ^_^

Great job, very nice pictures. Thanks for sharing this.

Rod

Hi Rod, great to hear from you. I'm a big fan of your work so your comments mean a great deal, thank you.

Hello spiton, you are correct, the pilots are possibly the poorest parts of the kit. If I built another I think I'd try to source some aftermarket figures with sharper details. Incidentally, I painted the crew to represent my flight so the bloke in the front is mini-me :lol:

Hi NavDoc, thanks for your kind words. Glad you like the model. I confess that 1/72nd scale is n't my usual scale but work constraints mean I don't have as much time to spend on larger scale projects theses days. That said, I got just as much enjoyment from this tiddler as I have with bigger jobbies in the past and much of the credit for that has to go to Airfix. Good job you Airfix types. :thumbsup2:

I have another new tool Airfix kit in my stash for the next build but it probably could n't be more different from the Tiger Moth.

Thanks again all.

Cheers.

Guy

Hi Guy

I might start mine today as a result. :goodjob:

Hi Alpha Delta 210, that's great news. I'm humbled that this little model might have inspired you to build your Tiggie. I know you'll have fun and please share the finished project so that we can all enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Guy

i m quite speachless.. this is absolutely amazing, hard to believe its 72th scale.. so clean build, many details all around and the riging.. with no offense meaning to anyone else, this must be best tiger moth i have ever seen!

• Like 1

Blimey! Looking at this on my smartphone, I thought those were your reference photos until I scrolled to the end of your post! Very nicely done, and the rigging looks great.

Jon

Hi There,

I don't know about looking at it on a smartphone but, I was looking at it on a 24 inch I-Mac and I thought they were the reference shots!

Fabulous work.

Regards

Reggie

• Like 1

This is really excellent work. I'll be taking part in the Moth group build and you've certainly shown me what's possible with this model! A truly superb result.

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger, thanks for the kind words. A Moth GB eh? I think I'll have to mosey on over to the GB forum and have a looksee. I would n't mind building another of these little gems. Thanks for the heads-up.

Hello Wolwe82, with the excellent standards set here on BM that is high praise indeed, thank you.

batcode, Tomoshenko, The Cameraman and Zigarten, thanks guys. I'm thrilled that you like my little Moth. Your generous comments are very much appreciated, cheers.