1/72 Amodel Yakovlev Yak-15

This is the 1/72 Amodel Yakovlev Yak-15 'Feather', one of the first Soviet jet fighters, built for the 'Less Than a Tenner' group build. Full details on the build can be found on the thread I made for it on the GB subforum:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234957400-172-amodel-yak-15/

Yak15c_3_zps07213864.jpg

The kit and build are, well, 'typical early Amodel', with a lot of clean-up required, especially for the smaller parts. The canopy managed to react to Humbrol enamel thinner (a first for me) but was rescued by polishing and coats of Humbrol clear.

Yak15c_2_zps789b7159.jpg

The only tricky part of the build was getting the fuselage and exhuast nozzle to fit around the engine, which took a fair amount of filler. Keeping what I said about the build in mind, I also made a mess of building the wings and had to perform major surgery to get them to fit, at the cost of losing the dihedral.

Yak15c_5_zpsb4f37569.jpg

I finished the kit in green over light gray-blue, or Humbrol 80 over Humbrol 65/157-with-a-touch-of-Revell-32150. The pilot must have had a poor view over the nose.

Yak15c_1_zps3fb68930.jpg

The decals went on fine but had a lot of carrier film that needed trimming. I finally did a panel line wash; its uneven appearance is due to both uneven surface details and my technique. I tried to add exhaust stains which did not end up too well.

Yak15c_4_zpse5adb02f.jpg

Just for fun, here are some side-by-side pictures of the Yak-3 and Yak-15:

Yak15vsYak3_1_zpsb99a4c4a.jpg

The latter's lineage is obvious, especially around the wings. There appear to be subtle changes in the Yak-15's empennage, though. I plan to build the Amodel early Yak-1, but not now.

Yak15vsYak3_2_zpsb931704a.jpg

(refrains from bad jokes about the Yak-15 'ripping off' the Yak-3)

Thanks for looking! Comments are welcome.

Edited by atvd1020
  • Like 4

Hi Friend:

Congratulations!!!

Even tough with all the trouble you had, the final results are a wonderful build.

BTW there is not an pleasure trip to build an A Model so, if you will try another A model kit, keep care first in dry fitting each part as the Short Run kits like theirs have a little more demanding skills and claims a lot of dry fitting of parts before gluing to have success in your build.

Cheers!!!.