1/72 - Sukhoi Su-33 "Flanker-D" & Shenyang J-15 "Fēishā" by Trumpeter - released - new Su-33 boxing released

Homebee

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I hope it's just missing from the photos - but there is a sprue missing from the above.

It contains the lowered double-slotted flaps and the upper halves of the folded tailplane.

This is the one from the J-15 kit........ (plus the sprue with the deck crew, which probably isn't included)....

j-15_008.jpg

I also think that is a J-15 fuselage - note the tiny RWR dimple on the tailboom - not present on the Su-33.

Simple to remove, so no big issue......

Can't wait for it to appear in the shops.

Ken

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Trumpeter Su-33 boxing is now on sale at Hannants

I can confirm that it does NOT include the drooped flaps (see my post #31) - so you cannot build the Su-33 in takeoff mode.

Deck crew and pilot figures are also not included - I presume you have to wait for the 'with flight deck' version for thiose parts?

The fuselage moulding is exactly the same as the J-15 - including some tailboom-mounted RWR antenna that are unique to the J-15.

These is no mention in Trumpeter's instruction sheet that these 'bumps' should be removed for a Su-33.

A welcome new release though - I'll be doing mine all folded up - with a scratched built-in boarding ladder.

Ken

I can confirm that it does NOT include the drooped flaps (see my post #31) - so you cannot build the Su-33 in takeoff mode. Deck crew and pilot figures are also not included - I presume you have to wait for the 'with flight deck' version for thiose parts?

Ken, since you built your J-15 on the deck, I didn't build mine. Would I be able to just use the J-15 and make the small changes to it for an Su-33? Or are the carrier blast shields too different? As for deck crew, I don't think anyone will notice the race change.

Regards,

Sharkmouth, if you Google Kuznetsov, then Liaoning, you should get some pics of both blast deflectors.

Since boith carriers are essentially the same, you would expect that they would be the same - but you should notice that the actuating rams are subtley different.

I used the J-15 deck to display my Hasegawa Su-33 - but changed (scratched) the actuating rams....

Su-33 / Kuznetsov......

j-15_064.jpg

J-15 / Liaoning....

j-15_065.jpg

Ken

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I wonder if they have spotted the differences in the blast shield actuators?? - I doubt it.

I noticed when studying photos that the raising rams of Liaoning were different to Kuznetsov - so I modified my J-15 deck to make my Su-33 deck.....

Liaoning shield....

j-15_065.jpg

Kuznetsov shield....

j-15_064.jpg

Ken

• 1 month later...