1/72 - Sukhoi Su-33 "Flanker-D" & Shenyang J-15 "Fēishā" by Trumpeter - released - new Su-33 boxing released

Homebee

As announced in its 2014-2015 catalogue (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234953185-20142015-trumpeter-hobby-boss-and-mrcmerit-catalogues/?p=1510523), Trumpeter is to release 1/72nd Sukhoi Su-33 "Flanker-D" - ref. 01667 - and Shenyang J-15 Fēishā - ref. 01668 - kits.

First test shot pictures are on the Net.

Source: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=274660&view=findpost&p=2606028

b159ffb1jw1efishtyd4cj20ph0hsgm5.jpg

b159ffb1jw1efisi8l16aj20qo0g83yz.jpg

b159ffb1jw1efisxumgrhj20qo0dwdgc.jpg

Strange J-15 use...

78f2bd8bjw1efiocxd8xnj20qo0k0abj.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

• 1 month later...

Think I'll be getting one of these. Saw a video clip of three of them flying on and off the carrier a couple of months ago.

Paul Harrison

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

SWEET!

I really like Trumpeters 72nd 'Flanker Family' so far, this J-15 kit is a step up with the carrier deck. Interesting that there are two options for the outboard wing sections rather than just moulding the flaperon on it's own. Either way it should cater to a variety of modelers tastes...

With Trumpeter also doing the oddball Su-27 KUB, I wonder if the bare metal record breaker will come along at some point?

Hmmmm... intriguing...

I'm a bit confused about the 'folded' option.

The wing sprues seem to show a 'straight' wing - or one with drooped flaps.

But on another sprue there are separate two-piece slotted flaps - maybe you have to cut away the existing flaps to fit them ??

The box art shows a J-15 'hot-to-trot' on the Lioaning's deck - with the flaps down and slats retracted - which is correct (except the tailplane should be L/E down - which I don't think is supplied)

But the test-shot images show a folded option which is incorrect - in this configuration, the inboard slats should be extended and the inboard flaps on the fixed section should be deployed.

So only half a job by Trumpeter.

Oh no !! - here we go again with Trumpeter-bashing !!

Sorry - we're not supposed to make comment until the kit is in our grubby paws.

I'm a big fan - so I'll be getting the kit - I'm just saying what I see.

Ken

PS - My pics of a fully-folded Su-33 are here - the J-15 is the same.

PPS - My Su-33 conversion of the Airfix Su-27 with everything folded (made years ago!)....

flank_09.jpg

My Hasegawa Su-33 'hot-to-trot' conversion.... note the extended inner flaps - and drooped ailerons - and down-angled tailplanes....

Flankers%20153.JPG

• Like 1

With Trumpeter also doing the oddball Su-27 KUB, I wonder if the bare metal record breaker will come along at some point?

I doubt it - that would require a new moulding for the fuselage and fins.

The tailboom was removed from the P-42 and the area flattened - and the fin tips were cut off.

My P-42 was made from the Airfix Su-27 about a million years ago - before Alclad !!!

flank_05.jpg

It'd be interesting to do it again - with a Trumpeter Su-27 as donor kit this time......

flank_07.jpg

Happy Flankering !!

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 2

Thanks for the info and inspirational models Ken. I guess I'll use the Trumeter 'early version' it as a bass for a P-42 conversion, I've just spotted a decal sheet for it at Hannants too, which also has markings for the 'Streak Eagle'... Neat!

If well informed and entusiastic people stopped saying what they saw, the modelling world would be more the worse! :2c::thumbsup2:

Thanks for the info and inspirational models Ken. I guess I'll use the Trumeter 'early version' it as a bass for a P-42 conversion, I've just spotted a decal sheet for it at Hannants too, which also has markings for the 'Streak Eagle'... Neat!

If well informed and entusiastic people stopped saying what they saw, the modelling world would be more the worse! :2c::thumbsup2:

The P-42 was on display on a very wet ramp at Zhukovsky in 2004......

day01_01.jpg

I took a few more pics - here - but the 12-year-old conscript who was 'guarding' it (you can just see him in the cape under the starboard intake) wouldn't let me go behind the barrier to photograph the distinctive 'boat tail' between the exhausts....

The markings are also on Begemots Flanker sheet.

What decal sheet did you find at Hannants ???

Ken

• Like 1

...The markings are also on Begemots Flanker sheet.

What decal sheet did you find at Hannants ???

Ken

Thanks for the images and links Ken, a 12 year old guard, grief! The decal sheet is by Rocketeer Decals (never heard of them before):

ROCK72018 "Challengers Ultimate"

Been waiting a very long time for something like this, the Hasegawa Streak Eagle decals are pretty poor and I've not known of the Bergamot decals 'till now :rolleyes:. The Streak Eagle is easy enough to do - Nose boom, Escapac seat, F-15A/B early wheels, faired jet nozzles but the P-42 looks quite challenging... I've ordered a sheet and will look forward to building a P-42!

He wasn't actually 12 years old - he just looked it !!!

He was wet and miserable and had probably been told not to let anyone over the barrier.

There were two Sukhoi 'groundcrew' sheltering from the rain on those green chairs under the rear fuselage - and when I mimed "can I climb over the barrier and look at the rear end?" - they seemed OK with it - but that young conscript was having none of it!!

He was guarding it with his life and wagged his finger at me when I tried to climb the barrier.

Perhaps I should have been more forceful - but I didn't want to provoke an incident.

An opportunity lost - in all my later visits, I have never seen the P-42 on display again...... :weep:

Ken

PS - Keep us appraised of your P-42 build.

Bonehammer, on 10 Jan 2015 - 7:48 PM, said:

The thingy was first referred as a "marital aid", not a "marital surrogate"...

If it is for the spouse to use on the other (for bringing another kit home)... it is an aid! I am not getting the kit!

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the main wheels being on the wrong way round....... :banghead:

Apart from that.... it looks OK at first glance.

Ken

Ah...these guys sure know their stuff.... even the scale 1/35 !

For a professional minded fair it's a little bit out of tune !

Madcop :shutup:

• 2 weeks later...