Apollo Crawler at 1/72 scale

Ah, a couple of Japanese exchange members from the T-34 Mentor tow tractor. Can't tell where the other engineer originated.

Been a nice build. Looking forward to seeing how you handle the track units and tracks.

Thanks Gordon!

MANFRED, apparently the work crew was out to lunch when I took the photos. I cought them hanging around playing on the computer when they should have been at their station!

IMG_0293_zps65f66bf7.jpg

Hi Rich,

the poor guys look pretty stressed out, so let them rest a bit and treat them to a cold beer, prost.gif otherwise they still lose the desire to work ... cool.gif

hallo.gif

Well, now that the World Cup has finished they have to find employment somewhere.

(Anyone who saw the BBC trailers will know what I'm on about!)

PHILIP, you busted me! I also do not know where the last engineers came from. I just grabed three dudes from my stash, and made them sit together so I could take the photo. BTW... the treads are going to be resin cast and linked as individuals to make the tracks. But that is quite a ways off still.

Thanks GRAHM for your continued support!!

MANFRED, After seeing photos of you and the Mrs. with ice cold beers, this sounds like a great idea!

GORDON, Thats right, they have a new job here holding down chairs.

HEY ALL,

A quick posting for today. In this first photo you can see how the lighting for the Crawler interior space is accomplished with florecent lights. The problem with this, as far as modeling goes, is that no one makes miniture florecent lighting for models. So I have to use lighting from the model railroad community.

2012_08_29_9_24web-300x200.jpg

The lights I will be using are called "PICO" lights, and as you can see, these things are so frikin' small I can put three of them in Lincoln's ear. I will also be reshaping the light housings themselves. Instead of the florecent tube lights, I will be building spot lights to replace these.

IMG_0294_zps4b0a2f24.jpg

I will be running four "zones" to light the entire project. The zones will be... zone #1, the Engineers Controll Room along with the Operator Cabs. Zone #2, will be the main body interior. Zone #3, will be the carwler exterior. And zone #4, will be the spinning caution lights.

The equipment for this chapter is realy straight forward, with no messing around with a bunch of componants. Just a power plug designed just for this sort of lighting. A four x switch for each of the four zones, and the lamps.

IMG_0295_zpsf8f78d41.jpg

All I need to do is attach the lamps to the power leeds and, presto, let there be light!

IMG_0296_zps1419aeb4.jpg

The lamp shades will be bilt out of Evergreen tubes, and cut to resemble fixed spot lights. I will build singles for the smaller spaces and use a double construction for the larger spaces. ( the lamp shade is on the penny with the light.) The interior has about 40 lights or so. The exterior has about that many also, and the caution lights number about 36 or so.

So alltogether, I will be constructing about 100 lights for this build. This chapter is realy small and a bit slow because of the wire routing and the mass production of the lamp shades.

So everybody hang in there, this will take a while, but I will take plenty of photos to entertain all and post from time to time during this phase of the build.

Thanks All for watching and leaving likes and comments. Bye for now.

• Like 3

OK ALL,

A quick post for today, just to let you know I'm working on the lights.

The lamp shades are constructed like this. For the larger outer shield I used Evergreen tube 1/8, 3.2mm OD. This was cut to shape to resemble a spotlight shield. I then drilled out the center, to accept a 3/32 , 2.4mm OD tube. I then slid the 3/32, 2.4mm tube into the 1/8 tube to make the housing for the "light bulb". Then I drilled out the center of the 3/32 tube to accept the light bulb, and slid everythig together and welded.

IMG_0299_zpsad6c47c8.jpg

IMG_0294_zps4b0a2f24.jpg

The parts to build the lamp shields.

IMG_0298_zps20ec33c1.jpg

These are the first 45 lamp shades completed.

IMG_0310_zpsf296418f.jpg

This is a completed lamp shade painted and ready for the final light test befor install.

IMG_0313_zps632361ec.jpg

And this the last light test befor the mass install. The paint hides the light from comming through the styrene tube, the light points out the front of the shield, and the lamp clears the inside DIA that I drilled to accept the lamp. The bit of light that is leaking out of the back will be gone when I permenatly seal up the back for final install.

IMG_0314_zpscb523ac2.jpg

Thats it for today. The next step is to draft out the wireways and plan the zones. Thanks all for watching!!

Edited by RichO
  • Like 2

MANFRED,

Yes these are the lights for the inside. I have modeled these after a double spot box.

IMG_0319_zpsa9743024.jpg

I have eight of these to build and then mount them onto the beams for the first part of the install.

• Like 1

Thanks Pete!

HEY ALL,

More with the lighting. A couple o' pictures of parts.

IMG_0315_zps92c0be1e.jpg

IMG_0320_zpsb019cb09.jpg

Here are the eight double spot lights.

IMG_0321_zps312b7dc2.jpg

These are the eight spots wired up and ready to install.

IMG_0322_zpsa4c63da6.jpg

A close up.

IMG_0323_zps39f89e79.jpg

In this photo you can see how I have mounted the fourway switch.This has been all secured and is ready to plug and play.

IMG_0324_zps8ce88eb0.jpg

Here you can see the basic wire layout. I will try to keep as much of the wiring inside the beams, so I don't clutter up the bottom side.

IMG_0325_zps3c013218.jpg

This is the mounting of the first double spot light.

IMG_0329_zpsd075119e.jpg

Here it is with the lights turned on.

IMG_0327_zpscfe52932.jpg

Now I just have to install seven more of these and then the rest of the singles. I'll be back!

Edited by RichO
  • Like 5

Hi Rich, the spotlights are looking good, probably better than trying to make up something that looks and performs like a strip light. Tell us please, where did you get the PICO lights from?

Colin

HEY ALL,

Just one photo today. This is the light test for the first ten lights. I have devided the area to be lit into four corners. This is corner #1 light test. All ten lights are working. Now on to the other corners. Bye for now.

IMG_0330_zpsa69faeb3.jpg

• Like 2

COLIN,

You can see the lights here: ModelTrainSoftware.com. These people have lights for just about anything. Look at the customers gallery.

MANFRED,

The size of the plug is small, as you can see. This is the only plug that I have in the system. I just have to decide which zone goes to which switch. Everything else is simply connections.

IMG_0331_zps30ed22f0.jpg

HEY ALL,

Another quick post for today. I am still building lights for the interior of the carwler. I have built all the double lights that go to the interior, and now I'm just about finished with the single lights.

These are the parts for whats left of the single lights.

IMG_0331_zps6306f47d.jpg

Here are the rest of the light build for the interior.

IMG_0332_zps449cadcf.jpg

All lamps get a light test before I install these into the light shields.

IMG_0333_zps68dec06f.jpg

This photo shows the remaining single lights painted and drying.

IMG_0334_zps81eda3a3.jpg

Now, I just have to wait for these to dry fully and then comes the install. I will mount all of these at the same time and do a light test after install. once I have accomplished the installed light test, I will undo the wiring and then redo the wiring in its final location. More photos later. Thanks All!!

HEY GUYS,

Another short posting for today.

This first photo shows the overall interior light placement. The lights have been installed but not wired into place.

IMG_0336_zps2ff80df0.jpg

This shot is a closer look at the light works. It's kinda scary looking with all the wiring just hanging around with no home yet.

IMG_0337_zps3957ceed.jpg

This photo shows what I need to do for each light. First is the construction. Then the painting. Then mounted into place. Next I have to cut little tiny retainer loops the hold the wiring into place. The retainer loops are cut from 3/32 Evergreen tube. I then cut very thin slivers off the end of the tube to make the retainer loops. The loops are placed randomly according to what looks good.

IMG_0340_zps5836a072.jpg

This last photo shows the finished install of a light. All painted, placed and ready for the final wiring.

IMG_0338_zps5368dff2.jpg

Just a quick post for today to let every one know the construction continues. This chapter is large, slow, and tedious. But like all thing modeling, the foundations must be layed first.

So, in the real world outside of the postings, I am about halfway done with the interior lighting. I am managing to work a little everyday on this chapter. So hang in there everyone, more photos later. Thanks Everyone!!

• Like 4

Thanks Gordon!

MANFRED, The Electrical/Lighting Dept. has managed to keep all the wiring straight so far, and all looks good!

HEY ALL,

A brief posting for today. The Lighting Dept. has managed to get all the lights working for the first half of interior for this chapter. I have the first 18 lights glowing brightly and all installed into the final position. The wiring has been painted and, it really looks great!

A view from the end.

IMG_0342_zps6beee113.jpg

A couple of shot from above with the external lights turned off.

IMG_03402_zpsac67afe7.jpg

IMG_0341_zpsefc46b1d.jpg

Thanks all for watching and liking!! The lighting continues!!

• Like 3