Apollo Crawler at 1/72 scale

Hey Guys,

A quick update with the walkway chapter. The build continues with the walkway around corner "B".

The parts for the corner "B" walkway.

IMG_0689_zpsmlybbhki.jpg

And this is where this one will rest.

IMG_0690_zpsfla90qgz.jpg

That's it for today, the build is headed down side two. Be back later!

• Like 7

Precise measurements and a straight edge. that will do for a good scratch build project.

Hey All,

So today I am no longer a stairway virgin. The little stairway I have built was very small and had a fair number of parts for such a small thing.

The parts for the first stairway.

IMG_0691_zpsfsdh2vbb.jpg

Under construction.

IMG_0692_zpsiez8yu93.jpg

This is where this one is located.

IMG_0693_zpsysxeuinx.jpg

More Later, Thanks All!!

• Like 4

Hey Altogether,

So more of the Walkway chapter.

This is running down side two and around "C" corner.

The assembly of the walkway down side two.

IMG_0694_zpskxrdvroc.jpg

This is the underside of the construction.

IMG_0699_zpsayolcjhh.jpg

And it lives here.

IMG_0696_zpsnjwrx8pn.jpg

The beginning of the largest stretch of walkway to build.

IMG_0697_zpsfbg7pvnl.jpg

This large section of walkway will wrap around corner "C".

IMG_0698_zpsrhcmjnwa.jpg

All of this construction is just the basics. I still have to build the backside of the walkways. These will have a mounting flange on the backside. Then the real fun starts! I still have to build all the hand rails that go with this chapter. Anyway, I'll finish this piece and then around the "C" corner and on to side three.

BTW: If anybody can recommend a good surfacer / leveler. The 3D printed track shoe has very fine lines of construction that need to be smoothed out before I can cast them. The part is a little to small to try to sand the rough areas. I thought of some sort of spray? Let me know.

Thanks All, be back later.

• Like 2

Mr surfacer 500 or Mr surfacer 1000. Both come in a rattle can. If you have an airbrush you can buy it in jars and thin it yourself with their leveling thinners. I just used it in my F1 car and it is so smooth ( the 1000 version) I won't have to sand or polish it. If the marks are larger you may want to try the 500.

Thanks Jason!

Noeyedears, I did some youtube research about your idea. Looks like I can work with Mr Surfacer! I'll have to order this tho, no hobby shop close carry this product.

Thanks Colin, you know I'll figure it out somehow.

Manfred, here are two shots of the track shoe. This was printed at Shapeways for me and is printed in ultrafrost detail. The piece is somewhat transparent, and the print lines don't even show in the photos. Altho the print lines are extremely fine, one can feel them easily. The Mr Surfacer should be able to level this out quite nicely.

IMG_0699_zpsymvzlkzd.jpg

IMG_0700_zpsi7s96bnz.jpg

The next problem of course is to cast this about 5oo times. I've never used resin before, so it will be a total experiment.

• Like 1

BTW, considering of the proud Shapeways prices, I can understand that you plan to make the track shoes in Resin. If I have seen correctly, 20 track shoes at 1:72 in FUD by James Simpson cost 42 €.

625x465_1803513_5658990_1408719877.jpg

Source: shapeways.com (J. Simpson)

And since you would need 456 shoes this would be 960 €, what is no pocket money. omgsign.gif

So I'm curious about your Resin castings. :speak_cool:

• Like 1

That's correct Manfred. The cost of buying from Shapeways is out of the question, I would have to spend over a thousand dollars U.S. I have found a good source for the casting material tho. I will attempt my first try soon. Also I have never used Mr, Surfacer before, so I don't know if it will need sanding or not. Those track shoes do look really cool tho!

• Like 1

Still a ways away Manfred. Altho the casting kit that I found seems to have everything I need to get a good start. Fortunately, the track shoe is a small part and will not use much material. The kit I found is 100.00 dollars US to start, so the casting of all the shoes will cost some dollars, I'm sure.

Hey All,

I took a little time away from building the frame work for the walkways to do a complete build on a small section of the walkway. I was anxious to see what the walkway will look like when it is complete. I chose a section that has a bend or two and small enough to only take a few days to complete.

After I had built the frame of a small section, I next cut the painted screen material to size.

IMG_0701_zpsbdvcxzoa.jpg

I then started to build the hand rail system. It was at this point that I realized I was painting myself into a corner. If I had continued with the uprights install, I would not have been able to install the hand rail.

To get the hand rails to match each others bend, I bend both wires at the same time. When I pre bend the wire, I would not be able to feed the wire(handrail) through the uprights that all have matching holes pre drilled through to support the hand rails.

IMG_0702_zpsg3wsypsm.jpg

So I had to take the uprights off the walkway frame and build the hand rail system separately.

IMG_0703_zpsarl4wijv.jpg

After I figured out the build sequence, all went smoothly, and this small section of walkway turned out really cool looking in person.

IMG_0710_zpshswdqazw.jpg

IMG_0709_zpsu2wlb54a.jpg

I have not installed this part permanently yet, but this is where it will be installed.

IMG_0706_zpsgbpa3tmn.jpg

IMG_0708_zpsoeejn7cp.jpg

Now that I have that out of my system, I'll be getting back to building the frames for the walkways. I'm around corner "C" and heading down side three. Be back later all!!

• Like 5

Hey Rich,

your crawler is getting better and looks great with the walkway gratings and in particular with the handrails. :speak_cool:

I can well imagine that you had problems with threading the wires through the pre drilled holes of the glued uprights, and therefore building the hand rail system separately is the right way, but hindsight is easier than foresight. :coolio:

BTW, what are the dimensions of the angle profiles for the uprights and the handrail wires? The grating is probably the same as you used in the interior, isn't it? undecided.gif

:goodjob: as always!

Thanks a lot you guys!!

Manfred, Yes, the screen material is the same as used for the interior and the fans. I bought about 8 sq. ft. of this anticipating the LUT build also. I wanted it all to match.

The dimensions of the styrene angle strip that I use is 1.5 x 1.5 mm. However, I have to sand this down to 1.0 mm to get things correct. Once I get all the uprights sanded to size, I then have to drill the holes for the rails. I use a 0.6 mm finger drill for the holes, and then run a 0.6 wire that I pre bend before I set the uprights. You can see how I have pre bent the hand rails for the next section below. LOL This will now slip into place with little effort.

IMG_0716_zpsjjfxjrl8.jpg

In the last posting I said I was building around corner "c". Actually I'm building around corner "A". I forgot to look at the top.

Here is the corner "A" walkway with the webbing complete.

IMG_0712_zpsrucumlpf.jpg

IMG_0713_zpsypexo4rw.jpg

With this part of the walkway in place, I have now completed 1/2 of the walkway frame part of the build. I will now go back and add the small details and screens and hand rails for this side. Just to break things up a bit with the build.

IMG_0714_zpslquo4csc.jpg

IMG_0715_zpsgg3pya0l.jpg

I'll be back with more walkway and handrail build. Bye for now.

• Like 2

Hi Rich,

you also try to find the best solution, I like it. :goodjob: But I would have used brass angle profiles 1,0 x 1,0 mm for the uprights, then you would have to save a lot of work. :coolio: How have you sanded it as accurately to 1,0 x 1,0 mm?

BTW, somehow your walkway is not sitting correctly on the supports. On the left side the supports are too short and right they are too far to the outside, if I see it right or deceives? undecided.gif

I just use what I can get, driving to shops, otherwise it takes weeks to order. The angle strip that I use are really quit small. When I mount the webbing to the angle, I have a surface to hang on to when I file. I just hold a ruler to the edge of the angle strip, mark 1.0mm and file the rest off. The process really goes fast enough to be feasible. Certainly worth the frustration waiting forever to get supplies with expensive shipping.

In the photo that I used to show where the walkway will fit around corner"A". The walkway is simply placed to show location. I will not final fit any of the walkway sections until I finish building them all. I need the continuity of the hand rails to be correct when I match the sections together.

On another front, I have primered and leveled the track shoe master. I will look at this again in a day or two to see if all is well, then maybe with the rubber mold.

IMG_0719_zps7k36lkyv.jpg

IMG_0720_zps8cdcjoph.jpg

That's the latest update guys. I'll be back.

• Like 3

Sorry, I did not know that you have the walkways placed only provisional. rolleyes.gif

Your track shoe looks pretty good, even in this close-up, and from a distance, the small grooves are no longer visible. :coolio:

BTW, how many shoes will contain your Resin mold, one or more? undecided.gif

Edited by roma847