Apollo Crawler at 1/72 scale

Manfred, Thanks man, cables from stuff laying around the house. Scratchers!

Charley420 (great name) I have seen your site. Nice model building. Thanks!

Thanks Caszerino, glad you have seen the light.

Thanks Colin, a pain in the butt chapter.

Whitestar12chris, Thanks for looking!

HEY ALL,

The cable chapter is moving right along. I have spent the last several days being a wire bending fool. I have acquired some brass rods for the external cable runs. Very rare around here. I live in a town with no hobby shops. The closest ones are about 40 miles away, one way. I have to save up a supply list for a trip to the big city. The brass rod is so much easier to work with than the hardened music wire I normaly use. However the music wire works ok in a pinch!

Side 1 bends.

IMG_0596_zps63bf3b84.jpg

side 2 bends.

IMG_0595_zps63b7ebae.jpg

Side 3 bends.

IMG_0594_zps525e71f1.jpg

Side 4 bends.

IMG_0592_zps52a7dd03.jpg

And some photos of the temporary placement of the cable runs.

IMG_0590_zps3dd1ca36.jpg

IMG_0589_zpsb792896e.jpg

IMG_0588_zps833ace3d.jpg

I have finished bending the runs for all four sides. I now get to start the cable runs for all the corners. the corners have a bit more of some complex bends, and are smaller reaches, just more bends to do.

Have fun looking All, I'll be back! Thanks!

• Like 2

Hey Manfred,

It took me a while to chase down some brass, but it was worth it! You were right in that the brass is so much easier to work with. Keeping your advice always in mind, us mixers find building material where we can find them.

BTW, I'm wondering if Leon's MLP/LUT is going to be as detailed as Mischa's is? I do think however that Mischa's MLP/LUT will not cost as much as Leon's. I guess we will have to wait to see the prices.

Hi Rich,

very clever now, my friend! icon_thumb.gif

Speaking about LVM's LUT, I do not think that the LUT will be as detailed as Mischa's will become, that's not to be topped. :blink2: Therefore, we will have to wait until November to see what Leon will present in Telford, I'm mighty curious.

The price will probably be many times higher than that of Misha's Paper kit :analintruder: because brass is just slightly more expensive than paper ... n060.gif

Edited by roma847

Hey Altogether,

A quick update. I have finished the cable trays for the four corners. The cable trays are all the same, but are flipped for each corner.

IMG_0601_zpsdmfgehjf.jpg

IMG_0599_zpsnhjmijr1.jpg

IMG_0598_zpshrqdmy2x.jpg

IMG_0600_zpsp9ebqjrm.jpg

Now I will get back to the wire bending for the corners. I'll be back shortly with some info and photos of the corner cable construction. Bye for now.

• Like 2

I've only just seen this wip.My goodness, you're doing something special here.Love it,love it! What is that Mesh/gauze you're using? I want some! Been looking everywhere but it all too big that I've found.

Thanks very much for showing this build,its inspiring!

HEY GUYS,

Hillstar, Thanks for checking back!

Graeme, Thanks for stopping by again!

Bzn20, I'm glad you like the build! The mesh I am using is a stainless steel mesh that I found on ebay. This is a 40 mesh count, cut to shape, and pained gloss black. I used acrylic Krylon spray to color. Also I use a dedicated pair of scissors to cut with, because the steel mesh wears out the scissors fast.

Chris, Thanks for following along, I still have a ways to go!

Thanks Manfred, the devil is in the details! but you already know this.

• Like 1

Hey All,

I spent some time this weekend to start the work on the corner cabling. To start the corner work, I first have to build two of the JEL tubes. At this time I will only build two to start. The top of the JEL tubes has the attachments that are needed to interlock the tubes to the crawler body. The top structure of the tubes are a matched set that mirror each other when side by side.

The reason to build the top of the JEL tubes first is because these parts fit in behind the cabling for the corners, and need to be installed before the cables go in. In the photo below you can see the top of the JEL tubes with the matching attachments. With the mounting brackets in place, the top of the tubes slip into the brackets and all is held secure with the big pass through pins.

IMG_0597_zps8bckovdl.jpg

These are the parts for one JEL tube top!

IMG_0615_zpsxk4robor.jpg

This is how the parts look mounted to the top of the JEL tube.

IMG_0616_zpsbeee3xiy.jpg

Next is the mounting bracket that attaches to the crawler body.

IMG_0618_zps2dyqi1s6.jpg

And now, both assemblies matched and ready for install. In this photo you can see that the parts match what is pictured in the photo. However in the photo there is so much more detail that I can put into this build, so I will stick with the basics, but make it dooly comlpicated.

IMG_0619_zpsufetlyzi.jpg

The construction of the details on the top of the tube took about 2.5 hours to build. I have 16 of these that need attention. However I do not need to build all of them at the moment. I just need two that are mirrored so the cables can be located in the proper spots. I will use the same two tubes and rotate them around all the corners for proper fitting. The rest of the JEL tubes can be built when I get to the Truck chapter.

Now I have to build one more tube, the mirror of this one, then I can place both brackets into place and then do the cables. Then it's a march around all the corners to install the brackets, then cables.

That's it for today. I hope you all had a good weekend! Bye.

• Like 2

Hey Rich,

it's stressful when you have to build such a lot of tiny stuff, always the same parts, therefore you are not to envy, but this is a good workout for the tricky truck chapter. :analintruder:

Be glad that you've got Mischa's great templates and do not have to invent everything yourself. :coolio:

Edited by roma847

Come on Jason, you can do it! The trick is not to think of how many parts there are.

Hey Manfred, I remember how frikin small the parts were for the 1/96 version. At least I can see them at this larger size! Anybody attempting this build will certainly appreciate the effort Mischa went to to come up with the patterns. As you know, years worth of research. About as long as your project will take! Or maybe a taxi ride from your house to my house.

BTW: "wait and see", worries me for some reason. I hope you do not have another "Frankenstein" moment with your build!

James G, Thanks!!

Hey All Again,

The cable chapter continues. I have been working on placing the cable runs on the outside of the crawler for days. This chapter is not a long one but boy do I have some detail to install. This is a slow going chapter because of all the bending to do. Once again with the photo below, I have now completed the install of just the inside of corner "D". When you look at the photo I have finished the install of the JEL tubes and the mounting brackets (background) and have finished all the cabling and hardware that sits in front of the JEL tubes.

IMG_0597_zps8bckovdl.jpg

As you can see I have had to not install everything in the photo, the Apollo era had some differences,(the photo is of the shuttle era crawler). So...the first photo is of the top of the JEL tubes painted.

IMG_0627_zpsvwyyanja.jpg

Here they are in place.

IMG_0628_zpsrvcvnhm3.jpg

Next comes all the cable runs for this inside corner. These are the parts.

IMG_0630_zpsd5mpt4du.jpg

I decided to paint the cable runs a contrasting color from the crawler body so that they would stand out a bit, but not to much.

IMG_0631_zpsz90d0vjj.jpg

The main reason that this is taking so long is that I have to try about a hundred time each to get the final bending and fitting so the cables will fit properly into their locations. This is a slow process of fitting, bending, sizing, fitting,bending....

In this photo I have installed the cables and hydraulic lines associated with this side of corner "D". Now once again, a slow march around the corner to the cab area.

IMG_0633_zpskfftgun6.jpg

That's it for today. The next photos should be of the cab cables. Until next time all!

• Like 2

HEY GUYS,

Hillstar, Thanks for checking back!

Graeme, Thanks for stopping by again!

Bzn20, I'm glad you like the build! The mesh I am using is a stainless steel mesh that I found on ebay. This is a 40 mesh count, cut to shape, and pained gloss black. I used acrylic Krylon spray to color. Also I use a dedicated pair of scissors to cut with, because the steel mesh wears out the scissors fast.

Chris, Thanks for following along, I still have a ways to go!

Thanks Manfred, the devil is in the details! but you already know this.

Thanks Rich! I'll have a look for some.

Hey Guys,

More with the cable chapter.

The photos below show the locking clamps for the top of the corners. When the load of the MLP is sat down onto the crawler, there are four large locking pins that hold the two units together. With these large pins are the locking clamps that hold everything tight.

In the first photo you can see the locking clamps at the very top of the crawler, above the JEL Tubes. The second photo is a much closer look at how the actual locks look. The large pad is where the MLP will lock into place, then the clamps hold fast the locking pin.

IMG_0636%202_zpsck4nzmsy.jpg

IMG_0635%202_zpsjmpemaf6.jpg

Parts for the locking clamps.

IMG_0633%203_zpskkxaycqn.jpg

Parts and one of the clamps built and ready for painting.

IMG_0634_zpsrc2eu3is.jpg

Some times you can get into a groove while building and forget to take more photos. So here is corner "D" with the cab topside, outside and the inside cable runs completed.

IMG_0637_zpsn8rr6hl3.jpg

IMG_0635_zpscwb9djet.jpg

IMG_0636_zpsx9kfvkph.jpg

OK, that's all for today, More cabling around the next corner, be back shortly.

• Like 1

Hi Rich my poor boy,

the cable chapter seems to become an endless story ... More and more of this small stuff ... omgsign.gif

But it looks so terrific, almost like the real thing, my compliments. tach.gif
Keep it up and bite through, BANGHEAD2.jpg I stay tuned.
Edited by roma847