Apollo Crawler at 1/72 scale

PETE,

Thanks again for following along,. I'm thinking I should be done with all the lighting for Christmas, altho I did not put any colors in my lighting. And we both know there are no normal people who post here! At least I'm not normal. Thanks.

• Like 1

This innocent look will probably say: I wanted to turn on only the light ... cry.gif

But you also have a pitch with the cabs. First, the crash of your paper crawler in your car and now this cat attack. bruell.gif

Would you have made ​​the window pane ​​of plastic, not glass, it would probably not broken. rolleyes.gif

BTW, is this a LED tube under the roof?

hallo.gif

HEY ALL,

A slight setback!!

The guilty party!

IMG_0464_zps415544bc.jpg

Hey! That cat looks completely innocent! He was probably just testing the structural strength of your assembly, like any conscientious Feline Quality Control Technician (which is what I call my two cats when they get "involved" in my projects).

• Like 2

HEY ALL,

Thanks all for the concern over the recent tradgety, but in reality, this only took an hour to fix. No more cats on the launch pad and all should be fine. Manfred: Perhaps plastic windows will be in order for the next build. the tube light is only in the shape of the thing. This still is just one of the tiny chip lights tho. I sort of diguised it.

• Like 1

HEY AGAIN,

The "Porch Light" section of the lighting chapter is now finished.

The porches are the small entryways that lead from the outside space to the interior.

IMG_0465_zps7c7bc339.jpg

In this photo you can see the lights from the cab and the entryways.

IMG_0466_zps427df925.jpg

This is with the room light off.

IMG_0467_zps31ab6287.jpg

Now, I want to take a little time, a day or so, and do all the little cleanning and straightening of the wires and make sure that the top of the beams are level with each other. Then I will close up the top side for the last time. I have a single piece that is the cover plate for the top. The largest piece of the model. Cutting this plate will take a day or two and also painting. I'll have new photos of the top deck install in a while.

Thanks all for liking and checking in, RichO.

• Like 5

SORRY GUYS,

I haven't posted for a while. The laptop that I normally post my photos with has taken a nose dive! No back lite for the screen and a bad virus that slows things down to the point that one photo took almost an hour to load to photobucket. I can't fix it for a while yet, pay day and all, ya know.

The build is continuing with photos that I will show when things get fixed. I have sealed the top plate onto the crawler and painted all the top side. With no wires showing and a unified top, the build looks much more organized and clean.

I have started with building the underside of the crawler. I have started building the very large mufflers for the engines. I have four of these to build, paint and install. Then I will move on to the suspension and the caution lights.

I am taking photos as I go along so there will be plenty to see later.

Thanks All, I'll post photos ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

HEY ALL,

The laptop is still dead! The shop said it could cost as much as three months of modeling spending to fix!!!!!!!!!!! The laptop will be back in a while.

Thanks all for hanging in there with no photos for a bit. The build is going smoothly. I am just about to mount the bottom plate onto the main frame and seal up the bottom side. I also have all the support steering arms built and ready to install. I need the steering arms to be in place to mount the spinning caution lights to them. Once the bottom is all sealed up I can paint the underside. I have taken a bunch of photos as I'm building, so when I can post photos again I will have several thousand photos to show.

Anyway, just dropping a line to say the build is still building and things are going great, just no photos today. Thanks All

• Like 1

Oooooops, with the cat Rich, the perils of owning pets! Our cat confines itself to the floor or my chair but only when I'm in my study. However the cat we had in the UK decided to serrate the trailing edge of a set of Sea King rotorblades...

The stamped light guards look the biz, I might try that with a rounded drill bit as some polished ali sheet.

Colin

Hello,

roma847 has infected me with the complete Crawler, MLP, Launch Tower and Space Shuttle thing. That's why I was looking around and found your amazing build. What you have shown so far is quite an inspiring work. So I am able to blame now you and roma847 in case my wife is asking me why I spend so much time building Launch Pad 39A in the future. :thumbsup:

I really love all your details that you have added, and can't wait to see more pictures of your crawler. Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Alex

Hi Alex,

as I can see, the LC-39 virus has infected you apparently full, omgsign.gif but take your time and do not rush ... schlaumeier.gif

What scale do you want to build David Maier's Paper MLP and crawler? His kits (1:144) would be indeed suitable for Revell's shuttle stack, but would not fit to Revell's Launch Tower (4911). Keep it in mind, otherwise could happen a rude awakening, because there are some tricky scale problems that you must note!!! n060.gif

hallo.gif

Edited by roma847

I will take my time for sure! Will take at least 4-6 weeks until my desk is ready to start with a new build/project.

Scale will be definately 1:144, but not sure about material yet. I have ordered the MLP and crawler from David Maier, do have Revell's 4911 at home, but a lot of the structure is only nice on a first look. So will it be paper, plastic, a mix like in your case? Time will tell... At this point I would say paper as reference, plastic as material... So similar to this awsome build here. :coolio:

Okay Alex,

then think about the different ways and choose the best possibility. If you decide for 1:144, then you can forget the Revell Kit 4911 and the LVM Detail Kits. :analintruder:

Start a new own thread and we will follow your project with interest. n060.gif

hallo.gif

Edited by roma847

• 4 weeks later...

Alex,

Thanks for looking at my build. I think that Manfred and I, and everybody here would love to see what you decide, and to watch your project. Keep Building!!

HEY EVERYBODY!

Good to be back!!!

I got the laptop back last night, the hard drive died and it took forever to get things straightened out and ready to post again. I have a lot of photos to share, so I will be posting and getting up to speed with the build over the next few days.

When I left off, I had just posted some of the lights for the cabs. Then the hard drive died. So to start I will be posting where I left off.

This shot is of the cab and porch lights in the full daylight.

IMG_0503_zpsa2a755a4.jpg

This photo is of the top side lights on the exterior.

IMG_0508_zpsd8cd6f1f.jpg

This shot is of the office space and the porch and the cabs lighting.

IMG_0507_zps13a5d14a.jpg

this a close up of the office space.

IMG_0501_zps08d0ac52.jpg

This is the interior lighting.

IMG_0509_zpsf6bb7e9e.jpg

All together now.

IMG_0541_zpsd795c0dd.jpg

This then wraps up the top side lighting. The next thing to do is to flip the crawler over, like a turtle, and start with the bottom lighting. However there are a few things to do before I can install the bottom lights. Next up is the starting of the bottom side construction starting with the mufflers.

Thanks all for be so patient and hanging in there with me. Be back tomorrow.

• Like 4