Apollo Crawler at 1/72 scale

GORDON,

I found more than one or two. I just go back from time to time and keep looking.

Edited by RichO

LAZYEAGLE,

Thank you!! I hope you can watch the entire build. If I can build the entire build.

MANFRED,

Thanks!! You know the model well. The painting is done for now, and the build continues.

HEY ALTOGETHER,

Last posting was the finishing of the painting. Or so I thought! I still go back and seem to find little places that I missed with the painting. I continue to look.

Today I will show the JEL Tube support structure. These structures are on each corner of the crawler. These will support the JEL Tubes ( Jacking, Equilizing, Leveling). The JEL Tubes are used to keep the crawler level when transporting the MLP/LUT and the great Saturn V. Also corners "B" and "D" will house the crawlers Drive Cabs. One on each end, to drive both directions forward and backward, no turnning this baby around!

In this photo are the parts for the four corners. Not cut out yet.

IMG_2028_zps9523ad7f.jpg

This is all the parts that make up just one corner.

IMG_2038_zpsb4dd7210.jpg

The beginning of the corner structure "D"

IMG_2040_zpsd6c405b6.jpg

Another photo of the beginning.

IMG_2039_zps0e4b0792.jpg

I sort of got involved with the build and did not take a photos of the intermediate steps. So the finished corner structure "D". These three photos are the basic structure. The finalizing will happen later in the build, when the top is completed.

IMG_2041_zpsb907ae6d.jpg

IMG_2042_zps0d86b85a.jpg

IMG_2043_zps23c7958a.jpg

The parts for this corner took two days to prep , and one long day to assemble. I have three more to build, so I will be busy for a while. More photos as I build. Thanks for watching.

• Like 4

It's coming along nicely Rich, the painting adds to the overall look as, you now better see the shape of the structure. Keep the pics coming.

Colin

COLIN,

Thanks for your continued support! More photos on the way, just for you.

Hi Rich,

thats right, the cutting and finishing of all the styrene parts means more expense than with paper templates. But everything is much more stable this time, and that's very important, especially for the construction of the outrigger structures. zustimm.gif

Your are on a good way, keep on building and hang in there this time, I stay tuned. cool.gif

hallo.gif

JOHN,

I have a best friend also. Sonny is the Chief Inspector General for my build projects. As for how I maintain my patience with the repetitive parts. I sometimes go slow and steady, sometimes in batches, sometimes with some Mother Mahoney's Royal Recipe. It's all good tho, I am retired with plenty of time on my hands, and I get to work on my projects almost everyday. It's the rainy season here in the great NW of the US, so I'm inside most days this time of year. Thanks for following along!

IMG_0947_zpsbe58b870.jpg

Rich,

He looks like a lovely fellow, and better behaved than my two current inspectors :).

MANFRED,

The cost of building this version is about the same as the kit price. Altho I will be spending less for the third party stuff because there is much less of these special items. I can build these out of Evergreen styrene. I'm hanging in there!

JOHN,

You know how it goes. Every once in a while the Inspector flies off the handle and gives me a hard time with things. Especialy with the chewing of prop blades and such. Altho in this case its the LUT, swing arm #9.

Edited by RichO

HEY ALL TOGETHER,

So I have been spending this week cutting the parts for the other three corners. My fingers hurt and I'm tired of just cutting. I have taken a break here to post a brief report on the progress.

This first photo is of the parts bins for the remaining corners.

IMG_2052_zpse44ce81b.jpg

These are the parts cut for the other three corners.

IMG_2050_zps25debfb8.jpg

These parts represent a weeks worth of cutting and sore fingers that will hurt for days. Each corner takes about two days to build, so I'll be back with more photos of the individual corner construction. Thanks for watching!!

22242a47-d72c-411b-99c3-4a5d1160ec14_zps

Edited by RichO
  • Like 2

Hi Rich,

:wow: Holy cow, cutting til the end of the day ... It's a hard job for a sharp cutter and strong fingers, or can you even cut the thickness using scissors, especially the curves? :analintruder:

You have to work flat out and bite the teeth together. BANGHEAD2.jpg

:bye:

Edited by roma847

Hello Rich,

but there is another way. These awesome cutting machines could take over the cutting for your tired fingers. shocked.gif

uyyz.jpg

Source: silhouetteamerica.com

It's an electronic cutting tool which can cut a wide variety of materials including paper, but also styrene and others. cool.gif

And here is A Guide to using the Silhouette Cameo Cutter where the Model railway builders are doing some pretty cool stuff. :analintruder:

That would be a great solution for you, exactly what you need, right? zustimm.gif

hallo.gif

Edited by roma847
  • Like 2

MANFRED,

Holy Cow, the cutting took about a week and my fingers are still sore. I wouldn't have it any other way tho! This build is so strong and stable that I'm sold for life on scratch building like this. It would be nice to have a cutter/plotter like the one you have refferenced. It looks like it takes software and computers and programs. I don't have any of that. I have to use my wifes cheesy laptop to post, and there ain't no doing art on this thing! I don't want to say that I live off the grid, I just can't pay for modern techknowlogy, way to expensive. I don't even own a cell phone. I don't need the man knowing what I'm doing any more than necessary. I'm still bitting my teeth together and building by hand. Thanks

Edited by RichO

HEY GUYS,

I thought you might like to see how I build one of the Support Structure Corners.

This firts photo is of corner "A" before assembly.

IMG_2053_zps910cb295.jpg

This next photo is of the bottom of the corner structure and one of the JEL Tube support framers.

IMG_2054_zps6a4a0b2d.jpg

The construction continues.

IMG_2055_zps8fc7b402.jpg

IMG_2056_zpse70586d2.jpg

The round cylinder is where the JEL Tube slides into from the bottom.

IMG_2058_zps0e7f98af.jpg

This is the start of the web bracing that firms the corner structure.

IMG_2059_zps3f2e40d2.jpg

This shows the web bracing all installed and finished.

IMG_2060_zpsf5533167.jpg

And here is the finished corner "A".

IMG_2061_zps6b442a97.jpg

I have a few minor items to install at this point, but I will wait untill I do the top side to finish. Now I only have two more corners to build and finish with this section of the build. Then off to the paint dept again for the four corners. Thats all for now. Thanks

Edited by RichO
  • Like 3

MANFRED,

Holy Cow, the cutting took about a week and my fingers are still sore. I wouldn't have it any other way tho! This build is so strong and stable that I'm sold for life on scratch building like this. It would be nice to have a cutter/plotter like the one you have refferenced. It looks like it takes software and computers and programs. I don't have any of that. I have to use my wifes cheesy laptop to post, and there ain't no doing art on this thing! I don't want to say that I live off the grid, I just can't pay for modern techknowlogy, way to expensive. I don't even own a cell phone. I don't need the man knowing what I'm doing any more than necessary. I'm still bitting my teeth together and building by hand. Thanks

Okay Rich, I've understood you already. I just wanted to help you with my tip, in order to facilitate your work, no more and no less, my friend. :coolio:

hallo.gif

HEY ALL,

Just a quick update today, just to let you know I haven't been ubducted. I have been away for a few days but the build continues. This photo shows corners "A", "B", and "D". Just one more to build. I'll be back. Thanks all!!

a8dfae99-e0fc-4606-8d3d-b86c69d10b7c_zps

• Like 3

Great work Rich, it's coming along nicely. The cutter machine in post 93 looks most interesting, a couple of years back I invested in a manual guillotine which I still have to try to cut thin strips. Got to be better than trying to use a straight edge and sharp blade!

Colin