Apollo Crawler at 1/72 scale

MANFRED,

Of course it's a dream, but a fun one. I have been collecting NASA drawings of the MSS for a while now. I could always use more tho, but I do have the blueprints to give me a good start. The LUT/MLP is a kit being produced by Mischa and MicroArtwork, same as the Crawler. Over 20,000 parts for the LUT/MLP kit!!!

HEY ALL,

So just a few photos to get back into the build. I recieved my next shipment of supplies and I'm now ready to start the box beams on the underside of the Crawler.

Just these three photos to start with today.

This photo is of the start of the cutting of the bottom frame.

IMG_1858_zpse4f43672.jpg

This is the finished bottom frame. This one part is the final finishing frame that will be seen when the project is completed. This is the "top" of the bottom and will be the visible surface when the Crawler is turned right side up. This took several days to cut and prep fo the bottom installation.

IMG_1859_zps9e8fb939.jpg

In this photo I am now setting the support webs for the bottom beams. This process will take a day or two and then it's off to aligning the box beams into place.

IMG_1860_zpsb4c86029.jpg

I'll be back shortly with more of the beam installation. Thanks for watching!

Edited by RichO

You must be mad ! that's going to be HUGE ! My best mate bought me the Dragon 1/72 Saturn V for Xmas, and that's big enough. I've not started it yet . . . Just trying to work out where to put it when it's finished ! :cheers:

STARFIGHTER, I have heard that the Dragon 1/72 Saturn V rocket is like over 1.5 meters tall! Nice kit!

You must be mad ! that's going to be HUGE ! My best mate bought me the Dragon 1/72 Saturn V for Xmas, and that's big enough. I've not started it yet . . . Just trying to work out where to put it when it's finished ! :cheers:

That's easy build a 72nd crawler to put it on :rofl:

Your work is extremely neat Richo. Very good attention to detail, your passion is already obvious. I think the MSS would be another awesome project.

STARFIGHTER, I have heard that the Dragon 1/72 Saturn V rocket is like over 1.5 meters tall! Nice kit!

Yes, it's only 6" shorter than me ! Actually, I'm not short, I'm undertall :lol:

ANTHONY,

I'm glad you are following along. You got here just at the beguinning, I have a long way to go.

Hi Rich,

well then you have to do so for some years, and the paper crawler shrivels sulking in the corner ... cry.gif

I let surprise me and stay tuned. gut.gif

hallo.gif

Edited by roma847

HI Manfred,

Yes the paper kit is sulking for now. I will need it again when I start the walkway chapter tho.

HI ALL,

Just a couple of photos today. These photos are of a few days work. These days I was building the webbing supports for the "I" beams on the bottom of the Crawler. The "I" beams are more numerous than the box beams and do most of the support work on the bottom side.

This is view down the bottom side from side # 1. Here all the webbing has been installed and test fitted.

IMG_1896_zps5566599c.jpg

In this view I have test fitted the bottom plate over the newly installed webbing for the "I" beams. All looks good, so now to the box beams.

IMG_1861_zpsa18b3729.jpg

I will now go around all the webs and make sure that all are secured and alligned and look good under the bottom plate. Thanks for watching.

• Like 2

SLEEPER,

At 1/72 scale, this build should be about 23 x 19 x 3.5 inches, about 584 x 482 x 89 mm. Just rough numbers, but close enough. Yes this is a proper table. However as you can see in the photo, that I share, half with my wife and her jewelry making hobby.

Sleeper, ...........you know how it goes.

HEY,

A few photos today to wrap up the bottom side with the box beams and "I" beams. In the last set of photos I posted, I showed the alignment of the webbing for the 'I' beams. Along with the webbing there are also gaps in the frame work for the diagonal box beam construction.

In this new set of photos you can see how the gaps have been filled with the diagonal box beams.

In photo #1, Here you can see the beginnings of the diagonal box beam construction.

IMG_1904_zps8642288d.jpg

In this photo you can see all the diagonal box beams are open. The alignment of the sides is close enough that when I lay the bottom cap in place the box beams will weld into place nicely.

IMG_1905_zpsd475d0ce.jpg

In this last photo of the bottom side beam construction, You can see how the bottom cap will be placed and how the 'I" beams travel "North and South" and the "BOX" beams travel diagonaly.

IMG_1906_zps7ac6062c.jpg

Now at this point I will tape the bottom cap plate into place, so later I can remove this cap plate and fill the box beams with the wiring in the upcomming electronic chapter.

So that's all for today, comming up next is more frame construction. Thanks.

• Like 1

HEY ALL,

Wrapping up the beam section.

In this photo you can see how the "box" beams of the top side are constructed. The webbing in the center of the box beam is the support for the Pipe Chords. The box beam along the sides are to support the outer external wall.

IMG_1918_zpsfc049125.jpg

This next shot is of the top side all boxed in.

IMG_1916_zpsa3e21702.jpg

Here is the main Chassis all boxed up and all the "I" beams installed also. The main frame is now 24 inches, 62 cm.

IMG_1917_zps3252b827.jpg

Next I have to build the 2000 gallon fuel tanks. The fuel tanks are installed between the beams of the Chassis build and have to be installed before the Pipie Chords are put into place.

This is a shot of the parts page for the internal items, (fuel tanks, fans, vents...ect.

IMG_1903_zps18466f26.jpg

And in this shot you can see the parts for the fuel tanks. I will need to finish these totaly befor install. I will also need to paint the tanks before installing.

IMG_1907_zpsc0a7f59b.jpg

Thats all for today, I'll keep taking photos as I go along with the finishing of the outside frame and the building of theFuel Tanks build. Thanks!

• Like 3

Hi Rich,

great and solid progress, :coolio: but now a necessary effort of the new plastic construction occurs in comparison to the paper design, you have to paint a lot of separate parts, and partially before mounting the modules. This means essential more effort. :analintruder:

But that's why you have to bite through! BANGHEAD2.jpg

Keep cool and all power to you, my friend! gut.gif

hallo.gif

MANFRED, You are correct, I do need to paint which will add more labor to the process. But a fun sort of process. As for the bitting through, not nearly as hard to bite through this time around. I seem to be having a lot more fun this time around.

Edited by RichO

HENDIE, THANKS!! Some times you just gotta scratch.

Edited by RichO

SARGENT, THANKS!, It's a good thing that you have your popcorn, this is going to take a while.

Edited by RichO