Apollo Crawler at 1/72 scale

I feel as sense of withdrawal coming on :zombie: then noticed that you have another project lined up :bounce:

Stunning work and applied so consistently, you have provided me with a great deal of enjoyment and inspiration. Thank You!

The shot showing the single track unit missing is superb I'm nicking it for my wallpaper if you don't mind.

• Like 1

Rich, if your track shoes are 11.5mm wide when they should be 8.8mm then (if my calculations are correct) they're around 1:55 scale.

Have you considered starting the model over again at that scale? :door:

• Like 4

I can see RichO booking a flight to administer a series of slaps at this rate. Or bringing it to Telford to show us Brits how it's done :winkgrin:

He'd have to hire an An-225 to bring it across!

• Like 4

The track shoes are just fine.....Trackheads can't count higher than twenty and we have to take our shoes & socks off to do that! :winkgrin:

Actually they can count to twenty-one but they risk arrest...

• Like 9

Hey All,

This is the last posting for this WIP thread.

I am saying that the Crawler project is now finished.

Truck 4 tracks finished...

IMG_1706_zpswzm7bmc5.jpg

IMG_1707_zpsratsdw5s.jpg

The final truck installed...

IMG_1709_zps7e0dz1ye.jpg

IMG_1713_zpscyjmovsg.jpg

IMG_1710_zpsz3xkxnpe.jpg

IMG_1712_zpskzjn0gnm.jpg

Of course it's not really finished. I have to go back over this whole thing as a unit, and get everything tidied up for the show. The new photos above show a bunch of nuts and bolts that need replacing, Drive Bearing Covers have popped off, a bunch of stuff and I will do some mild weathering....

About a weeks worth of tidying up of things. I will be back here to answer questions and comments for a while still...

And so, I will next post the finished Crawler build in the Ready for Inspection section. I should have a bunch of photos and I'll try a cheesy video of the lighting...hopefully.

This has been one pain of a build to pull off, but really fun overall. Thanks to Mischa Klements for the opportunity to work with these templates, an outstanding design job, and years worth of research to make a great paper kit if you guys want to try this build.

So that's it...Thanks to everyone who followed along for 2 1/2 years with plenty of comments...and to thousands of views from everyone that did not comment but still enjoyed the build.

I will take a breather to get things ready for the show, clean house, reorder supplies, and I'll be back to update the two threads that I started months ago but sort of abandoned to finish this build. Leave a bunch of comment everyone..

Thanks, RichO

• Like 13

What a journey this has been! I remain stunned at your ability to turn Mischa's paper art into a plastic model of unrivaled craftsmanship. I wish I could have the opportunity to see it person.

Hello Rich,

my congratulations to your masterpiece, :goodjob: a really incredible performance that you have done so, to which you can be proud. 00003423.gif

I take my hat off to this milestone in Real space modeling with full admiration!!! hi.gif

And now a lot of success at the competition, I keep my fingers crossed. best-of-luck03.gif

BTW, take care for a spectacular presentation of the Crawler with posters, photos, information, etc. carrying the Mobile Launcher and the gigantic Saturn V, so that all visitors can imagine wherefore this incredible beast was used. This special atmosphere is important for the overall impression. But as an artist you know this better than me. up040577.gif

And do not forget to turn on the fantastic LED lighting. gut.gif

Congratulations Rich - take the rest of the day off!

seriously though..... a fantastic journey of scratch building. I must admit to having no particular affinity for "real space" objects, but the skills you've displayed here and the tenacity with which you approached this entire build have enthralled me from day one. I may even look forward to your next space thingy

:goodjob:

What a journey this has been! I remain stunned at your ability to turn Mischa's paper art into a plastic model of unrivaled craftsmanship. I wish I could have the opportunity to see it person.

Thanks SpaceRanger!!

Amazing project from beginning to end.....A pleasure to view. :thumbsup:

Keep us informed of the competition and please do a full RFI with all the lighting etc. once you've finished everything up to your satisfaction. :coolio:

Sarge...I just found out that I need to turn the model in on this Friday, so it will be a bit before you see the RFI...but it will show up!

Well like the real thing walking out the Rockets, it has been a long but very worthwhile journey, bravo

Thanks Graeme!!

Hello Rich,
my congratulations to your masterpiece, :goodjob: a really incredible performance that you have done so, to which you can be proud. 00003423.gif
I take my hat off to this milestone in Real space modeling with full admiration!!! hi.gif
And now a lot of success at the competition, I keep my fingers crossed. best-of-luck03.gif
BTW, take care for a spectacular presentation of the Crawler with posters, photos, information, etc. carrying the Mobile Launcher and the gigantic Saturn V, so that all visitors can imagine wherefore this incredible beast was used. This special atmosphere is important for the overall impression. But as an artist you know this better than me. up040577.gif
And do not forget to turn on the fantastic LED lighting. gut.gif

Thanks Manfred...I'll let you know what happens.

Congratulations Rich - take the rest of the day off!

seriously though..... a fantastic journey of scratch building. I must admit to having no particular affinity for "real space" objects, but the skills you've displayed here and the tenacity with which you approached this entire build have enthralled me from day one. I may even look forward to your next space thingy

:goodjob:

It's nice to have a day off...Thanks Allen for the long look and help.

citizen_kane_clapping_2.gif

Well done, Rich! You deserve a break.

Okay, now back to work on the LUT!

Gordon!...Thanks for watching, I'll be back to work shortly.

Hey All,

I received my entry info for the state competition...I have to turn the Crawler model in for the show this Friday. That means that the RFI photos will not be ready for a bit. I will have to wait until after the show for the final photos. Maybe a photo of an prize of some kind? That might be cool.

I'll let everyone know how things go for this.

Thanks, Rich

• Like 4

A brief update.

The Crawler has been turned in to the show. I am now waiting for the judges to do their thing.

• Like 2

What the 'ell. Are you frikin kidding me? Look how big that's going to be! Hey at least I can see it.

• Like 2