Apollo Crawler at 1/72 scale

Thanks you guys...

Hello Rich, well done,

00003423.gif

and now the next truck please. up040577.gif

Thanks Manfred, you da man too.

Those trucks really do look the part.....I reckon thay will add a really nice sense of mass to the structure. :thumbsup:

I set the Truck next to the Crawler...OMG...I'll take a photo for you.

As others have said, the truck looks amazing - well worth the time and effort.
B

Thanks Brian.

Neat truck there Rich, you're certainly doing a very fine job here.

Colin

Thanks Colin.

Truckin.jpg

Truck you Gordon...Thanks!

Sooo good! They look fantastic.

Mati!

This will look excellent when finished

Thanks kev67, check back again.

Rich, I hope you have a good

long holiday planned when this

one is finished? If only to give

your eyes a rest.

GordonD, I was going to say that!

Great period picture though.

"Once I got the basic sanding figured out, I went from 40 shoes in hour to 100 shoes in 20 minutes. The rest of the weekend was used just to drill out the holes for the link pins."

says he in a casual tone of voice! :coolio:

Words fail me when I try to describe this build.

This builds adds a whole new meaning to modelling.

Richard

• Like 1

Hey Everyone,

Not much to report today. I'm still cleaning and painting...the treads go on.

I thought I would show the little nails I use for the link pins...These are miniature picture framing nails...

IMG_1641_zpsp1kg5plk.jpg

You can see that these are just a little over 1cm long...

IMG_1639_zpseaee6jfb.jpg

I have drilled the 1mm hole in the shoe, and then cut the nail by about 2/3's...and inserted properly.

IMG_1640_zpsqk4lhmuu.jpg

Not a hard process, but very slow...

That's the report for today...just hundreds of treads to deal with

Back later All......

P.S. Last posting I said I would post some photos of the Truck with the Crawler...

This special request goes out to Sergeant Andy...AFV builder Extraordinaire.

IMG_1647_zps2bcythrh.jpg

IMG_1643_zps2bys8ahj.jpg

IMG_1642_zpsxqrebewe.jpg

• Like 11

Fantastic stuff Rich (cheers for the pictures).....That looks about as solid and massive as anything 1/72 and made from plastic/resin possibly could! :worthy:

It's going to be an absolute Behemoth when it's finished though, where will you keep it? :shrug:

• Like 1

It's going to be an absolute Behemoth when it's finished though, where will you keep it? :shrug:

Don't ask questions like that before it's finished! Rich might think, "Here, that's a good point!" and bin the whole thing!

• Like 1

Thanks Guys! Hans has a home all to 'im self, I'll take photos.

Don't ask questions like that before it's finished! Rich might think, "Here, that's a good point!" and bin the whole thing!

The bin's not big enough.

Thanks Everyone!!

Hey All,

It's midnight here on the 4th of July USA. Thanks to you Britts, I have been awake for two days drinking, smoking, and blowin' things up. My head hurts.

The build continues with the treads. It seems, no end in sight. To help with the boredom I have started the connection process with the main body.

To do this I have to now build 16 JEL tubes to connect the trucks to the body support arms.

The support legs are called JEL Tubes. JEL is Jacking, Equalizing,Leveling. These JEL Tubes can lift the crawler and its load up or down as much as 6 feet.

NASA-crawler-transporter-07.jpg
As you can see in the photo above The JEL Tubes are also covered with a black material that keeps the dirt and grime from getting into the hydraulic cylinders that lift the crawler.
from post #360 on page 18.
These are the parts for the 16 JEL tubes. I have cut 16 wood dowels to length. Now paint white, then grey, then wrap black tissue paper for the dirt shield.
IMG_1650_zpshgriunwi.jpg
I have test fitted the first set...
IMG_1649_zpsqlqzfpns.jpg
Trucks and tubes and treads galore...
IMG_1651_zpsaymrg6kf.jpg
At this time I am doing what ever, to finish the trucks for joining to the main body. I am quickly running out of options as to, what to work on next. The light at the end is real big at this point.
Later All.
  • Like 9

Hi Rich,

what a lot of parts again. :yikes: I hope, that you have still enough space on your table? :thumbsup:

Be careful that you should fold together the sleeves for the JEL tubes previously once that they also look nicely wrinkled, as shown by Mischa. up040577.gif