Apollo Crawler at 1/72 scale

A big bucket , Pete!

Thanks Manfred. Looks good so far.

Gordon, this is my professional help! Cheaper than therapy, better than medication (most times).

Alan, Your flbergastedness is appreciated! I have an idea to build a square rigger sailing ship, I am hesitant tho, even more mass repetitiveness.

Hendie, I have used the heck out of this new little saw! I'm glad I asked you about it, it just was to fine to use on the shoes.

Thanks All, back to dressing shoes...later

• Like 1

Hey All,

I have finished with the treads for Truck corner "D". This work was sorta cool at first, but I'm in trouble again with huge numbers count. Breaking this down into the separate trucks was a good idea tho.

The treads for one truck...

IMG_1619_zpsycn16vfd.jpg

Once I got the basic sanding figured out, I went from 40 shoes in hour to 100 shoes in 20 minutes. The rest of the weekend was used just to drill out the holes for the link pins.

While I was doing the mind numbing work of drilling out the link pin holes, I got caught up on old WW2 movies. Lets see if you guys can figure out what I watched this weekend.

1. I watched Obi Wan build a bridge, and then blow it up.

2. I watched Frank Sinatra get shot in the back chasing a train.

3. And I watched Kirk Douglas run over someone's submarine with his boat.

Anyway...I next lined up all the shoes and began the paint process. I used Mati's paint process from his posting here,... sci/fi mining vehicle 1/32... I liked the finished color scheme of his project, which is the same thing that I'm after with the treads. I have adopted this to my project and just started spraying...

I used Tamiya primer...Then I sprayed flat black, but I did not spray enough to do a heavy cover. I aloud some of the primer color to show through. After that dried I gave the treads a light misting of a heavy rust color. the finished look is very close to what the actual treads look like with small chips, bumps, dents..etc. I'll finish this with putting the chips and grease and weathering on when all this is installed.

IMG_1625_zpssgng0yxr.jpg

Then over to the top side...I used a dark yellow over the primer. Two coats of yellow. one coat of the heavy rust color, and then two coats of the yellow again. These are all light coats of course, and the yellow color turned out to be extremely close to the yellow color of the hand rails. Just right!

I did not use Mati's paint step with the white paint... these are hidden under the trucks and not much light gets under the treads, so no top down lighting.

IMG_1624_zpsqfnle4rm.jpg

Sure don't ya know, that the colors in the photos are not quite what I see here in person. I'll try to get close up's of the treads later on.

One truck...one box of shoes...

IMG_1627_zpsdhxlozeq.jpg

That's it for now. 3 more trucks to go, then the install...later All

P.S. My wife got me a shelter rescue... Sadie...Sadie was desperate for someone to take care of her. She got hit by a car and got busted up a couple of years ago. She can just barley get around...barley..she can't hear anything, and has no voice to speak of. I took her to the Vet. for a check up. The Doc. said that "considering" ...she is in great health! She looks a bit PO'ed in the photo, but I think she just didn't appreciate the camera in her face. A new kitty that needs some help. A great spirit tho and a lovey personality.

IMG_1623_zps0niv2zee.jpg

• Like 9

Rich,

Poor Sadie, looks like she needs a good feed.

Films, Bridge over & von Ryans express but I can't get number three.

Oh, and some nice modeling snuck in there too! Where did that come from?

• Like 2

Nice to see Sadie - my cats not deaf, he just chooses to ignore me whenever I call him. Won't leave me alone when he is hungry though.

Nice work on the tracks too. Not sure I would have the patience. Haven't built anything with tracks for years.

• Like 2

Pete in Lincs, on 14 Jun 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

Rich,

Poor Sadie, looks like she needs a good feed.

Films, Bridge over & von Ryans express but I can't get number three.

Oh, and some nice modeling snuck in there too! Where did that come from?

20000 Leagues Under the Sea? The only problem with that one is it's not WW II...

• Like 2

OK All,

1. Bridge over the river Kwi

2. Von Ryan's express

3. The Enemy below. Witch has Robert Mitchem not Kirk Douglas, sorry.

• Like 1

Hey All,

The Track build continues...

IMG_1630_zpsi16rerqm.jpg

I have reached a point where I can now start with the L&L part of the track build ( if I used the term properly). Altho much simpler than most of the tracks that you AFV guys work with, it has given me a certain respect to the builders of tracked vehicles, because this is a pain in the ...

These are the very first links to be ready for install.

IMG_1631_zpsmizvepld.jpg

That's it for now, I'll post again when I get enough links for a track install.

Next Time....RichO

• Like 5

Mati...Your paint scheme looks good on these treads!

IMG_1634_zpsavhz7xp9.jpg

IMG_1632_zpsdagxxh11.jpg

IMG_1633_zpslpkcbfx9.jpg

Very slow business linking these treads...but they look good so far.

Be back later All

• Like 8

Sadie looks like she's saying, "dude, you need to relax!" lol

I have been watching this build in awe!

You Sir, are a MASTER!

VERY awesome build!!!

and thank you for sharing this! I have been enjoying it immensely!

• Like 1

Very slow business linking these treads...but they look good so far.

As it should be - nothing is fast about the Crawler. It might be very slow but it gets there in the end!

• Like 1

Hello Rich,

:yikes: fantastic!!!

It really looks like, as have just driven over the ballast bed of the crawler way. :speak_cool:

Nearly perfect, but the visible lower insides of the treads I would still give a bit darker washing. up040577.gif
Which diameter you've drilled? :hmmm:

Thanks All for watching!

Manfred, you are correct, the bottom end of the treads will have a nice dirty, oily wash when I build all four trucks.

The DIA. of the drill is 1mm, the pins are at .75mm. I drilled the holes larger so the pins would be inserted much easier. I use a set of pins(two) and a set of tracks(two), I pin one side, superglue, then around to the other side and glue this. It take a few minutes to build a set, so this track took all day to build.

RichO

Hey All,

I have just finished with truck #1..."D" corner ready to marry to the crawler...

IMG_1635_zpsculvk35i.jpg

IMG_1637_zpsdjns172h.jpg

IMG_1636_zpsnvachtes.jpg

IMG_1638_zpsw6dm8fgt.jpg

I have one more Trucks worth of treads to sand and drill, then I can put the four trucks together totally. This sounds simple, but will still take some time to finish.

I'll be back with Truck #2 shortly...later

• Like 10