Apollo Crawler at 1/72 scale

bit of an understatement there I think

Agreed. This has been a jaw-dropper from Day One. Every time I think Rich has gone as far as it's possible for a modeller to go, he surpasses himself yet again.

• Like 1

You guys are great! Thanks All, I'll be back shortly with the finish of the truck wiring.

Noeyedear,

Not so fast. I can only reveal what the boudoir photos show a little at a time. Besides, if I give it all to you at once you wont come back. I know guys, I'm one.

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

I knew that the wiring would be a slow go, but OMG! At least I got to work on other builds while the white glue was drying. I finished with the wiring of the four outside faces. This part of the build seemed to really bug me a bit, and I wasn't so into building this part. But now the wiring is done I can add the other bits.

IMG_1552_zpsedocm3ws.jpg

IMG_1549_zpstjstf1yz.jpg

Sorta lookin' like a NASA scrap yard.

Now I come to a confession. If you guys are anything like I am, I sometimes try to force things, or get to big fingers in small spaces, get in a hurry, get impatiant, just don't care, what ever,... I just don't show you guys these mess ups I seem to come up with. So the next step for the Trucks is to spend some time and go back over each face of the trucks and fix all the stuff that I broke, dropped, painted the wrong color, wired wrong, replace busted bolts, fill gaps, add a ton more small stuff,... I told myself that I was not going to move on to the the rest of the tracks until I get the Trucks finished, 100%. We'll see.

IMG_1551_zpsur2eaoah.jpg

Well that's where I'm at, at this moment. I'll take some time and wrap up the Trucks, and then off to finishing the Tracks and wheels.

Thanks All for watching!

• Like 5

Noeyedear,

I do have a little help, with frequent breaks and pipe, I can get through the tedious stuff.

• Like 1

Thanks All,

Just a quick update.

After a year of building. "B" corner Truck is now 100% complete and ready to receive drive wheels and tracks.

IMG_1558_zpsa3nfr2rj.jpg

IMG_1557_zps7b5nzyd5.jpg

I'll be back with another corner soon. Thanks All.

• Like 2

Hello Rich,

:goodjob: come on with the other corners, the show must go on up to the final countdown. :yikes:

A few cables and clamps are still missing on the inside, but there one can see anyway anything about it. :coolio:

That's right Manfred, when I put the truck under the Crawler I could only see these items with a small mirror underneath. All is painted the same color so all the items blend in and just are not noticed.

Also I remembered, that actually, I still need to install the outside lighting on the trucks, so 99.999% finished. I'm working on that now.

Hi Rich,

:speak_cool: now can come the nights ... gut.gif

BTW, are there two lamps or one lamp? It looks like two, but that can be deceiving because the cold white light is so bright.

I think in reality there is only one lamp between the two hatches. :hmmm:

You are correct Manfred, just one light between the two hatches. I'll show a better photo of the light cage I made to support the light (middle photo). Also I have looked into a dimmer switch for the lights so they will not b so bright.

Ya, and after what?...almost two years to build a helo. These things just take time.

• Like 2

Colin, Nice to read from you! Glad to know that you still check in from time to time after a couple of years. Thanks.

Hey All,

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Today is the building of the light cage.

The parts...

IMG_1570_zpshncl28w7.jpg

I used a very small wire stripped of its plastic coating. I then bent the wire around the end of a .75 mm rod to get the curve of the cage.

IMG_1571_zps6efaeb1z.jpg

I next drilled out a .75 mm rod slice and inserted the bent wires to form the cage. I next inserted the small pico lamp.

IMG_1572_zpsv3bydv3b.jpg

I next dipped the whole assembly into the Liquitex gloss varnish and then let it dry.

Arthur "Two Trucks" Jackson...

IMG_1573_zpssumxjsle.jpg

The entire assembly measures .75 mm x 2 mm. About the limits of my vision.

I'll be back with more trucks...later all.

• Like 4