Apollo Crawler at 1/72 scale

Hi Rich,

your patience is amazing. Watch out that you do not have to sneeze, or your cat creeps on the desk. :analintruder:

BTW, your Drive Wheel seems to be a little bit rough as a model for Resin casting. Let's see how the cast will look. :hmmm:

Sheet styrene is a bit difficult to get a good clean edge on as it is a bit soft

I'd make a first cast - clean up the resin and then use that as the master - but regardless, it's still an epic build

Hey All,

A check in for this week.

The first of the finished Gear Case build is rolling off the assembly line. This seemed to take FOREVER!!, and I still have a considerable ways to go with totally finishing the rest of the cases, but I'm very much closer to the end now. Once all the cases are finished, next comes the painting.

IMG_1331_zpsmgt5063m.jpg

IMG_1330_zpsfemtc22i.jpg

IMG_1328_zpsleyylcbg.jpg

IMG_1329_zpsqg63ygcf.jpg

I'll be back with more photos of the assembly line. Bye for now.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I could only muster about five build days out of the past two weeks or so. Slow going, but the progress is picking up the pace a bit.

The photo shows only three finished Gear Cases, but at this point today I have six totally finished.

IMG_1333_zpstthrythb.jpg

IMG_1332_zpsf4vnahr9.jpg

IMG_1334_zps9qqq7jhr.jpg

I thought I would show how the finished Gear Cases would look next to the Central Structure of the Truck build. As I get closer to the finishing of the Gear Cases my enthusiasm is increasing to finish this build.

IMG_1338_zpse5daeyqo.jpg

IMG_1340_zpsdrun2mea.jpg

IMG_1339_zpsi5bgv1w4.jpg

Thanks All for checking back!!!

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys for hangin' in there while I'm going through the LONGEST BUILD EVER! I get to work on this project a little every day, and it is still taking this long. However I only have one more case detail set to finish. I now have three Gear Case sets finished.

IMG_1353_zpsciobucgo.jpg

IMG_1354_zpseavbxvqd.jpg

IMG_1356_zps3rve8vtw.jpg

IMG_1358_zpshe2zfekt.jpg

One more case set to finish!! I'll be back with the final Truck Case assemblies soon. Don't touch that dial.

• Like 10

Thanks Guys for hangin' in there while I'm going through the LONGEST BUILD EVER! I get to work on this project a little every day, and it is still taking this long. However I only have one more case detail set to finish. I now have three Gear Case sets finished.

One more case set to finish!! I'll be back with the final Truck Case assemblies soon. Don't touch that dial.

Considering the amount of work and the high standard you continue to maintain I'm amazed that it's going so quickly. What a fantastic project! :worthy:

Thanks Guys for your continued support!!

Manfred, So I have some explaining to do. I still consider myself a rookie when it comes to resin casting. I confess guys, I made a rookie mistake, and now I'm using one of my reserve "do overs" to fix it. Look back at posting #773. I had used my original mock-up Drive Wheel to set into the clay, to pour the rubber for the first half of the two part mold. I was so excited to see how the rubber captured the detail of Drive Wheel that I pulled it out of the rubber to look at, and now I can't line up the details to reinsert the original Mock-up. I have to redo the first half of the mold.

At this time I'm still so involved with the Gear Cases that I haven't bothered to re do the mold just yet. I have the last four gear cases to finish detailing (will be done this week), and then it's 100% total attention on the tracks and wheels. I'll show photos of all the gear cases and assemblies this up coming week sometime.

Thanks, Rich

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I knew this day would come. I have finally finished with the Gear Case build. All 16 are now complete and are ready for install. The install will be accomplished on an individual basis, and because I have to interface with the Bearing Housing, I still have parts to manufacture to accomplish this. I will build those parts as I go along.

Just a reminder to all who are following along. That the curse of the 16's is hardly over. I will still have to attach all this to the Crawler proper eventually, and that will involve a whole other 16 nightmare.

Parts for the last Gear Case detail.

IMG_1360_zpsttc7ihgv.jpg

16 Gear Cases, 4 Trucks.

IMG_1361_zps2pmpyous.jpg

IMG_1363_zpszshil3iv.jpg

IMG_1364_zpsxrfs285n.jpg

IMG_1362_zpso6psytlp.jpg

So now I can get back to the casting I need to finish. I still have about 100 treads to cast, and I have the Drive Wheels to do.

Also I will now go into mass production of the Bearing Housings.

I have spent the last three month working on these small sub assemblies for the Gear Case's. It will be a real treat to move on to another part of the build finally.

And as always, I will go back over all the small stuff I have just finished and tidy up all the loose ends and additions, and finalize for painting.

Next up are the Bearing Houses. Be back soon.

• Like 7