Apollo Crawler at 1/72 scale

Manfred, John, Gordon, and Guys all. Thanks for watching and all the great words!

Today I would like to show you all the finishing of corner "D" and around the front side.

This is how corner "D" is finished. The first photo here is of the front side of corner "D". The side that faces out with the cab view. This is before I start the cabling.

IMG_0637%202_zpshwc8iseo.jpg

About mid point or so.

IMG_0638_zps75rcwuo5.jpg

These shots are of the finished corner.

IMG_0640_zpstdjyhppd.jpg

IMG_0641_zpsovouay4j.jpg

IMG_0642_zpseugorm07.jpg

and now around the corner to the front side. This is a shot looking from corner "D" around to side one.

IMG_0643_zpslynxl1zu.jpg

across the front of side one.

IMG_0644_zps4pqmcrxc.jpg

and around from side one to a bare corner "C".

IMG_0645_zpspspbyxex.jpg

Now I get to do the whole thing again. Altho the top sides of the corners are all different. Stay tuned!

• Like 2

BTW, be careful that you do not just entangle yourself in the cable jungle! :analintruder:

I now have a mental image of Rich trapped inside the model, rattling away at the pipes like prison bars, shouting "Help! Let me out!"

Hey Colin, at one point I had thought of trying to build a SETI dish at 1/72

wrf01.gif

Thanks Guys !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

HEY ALL,

A brief update for today. The cabling of corner "C". This first photo is of a naked corner "C" looking around from side one.

IMG_0646_zpspmqiwiek.jpg

As you can see here, that the top of corner "C" is different than corner "D".

IMG_0649_zps6gjlzknj.jpg

The construction of the corners are all the same.

IMG_0650_zpsce6pjwsp.jpg

And the starting of the cable run down side two.

IMG_0651_zpsmvgf9tlb.jpg

Now I have to finish side two and then around the next corner for cab "B". Be back again soon!

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

More of the cable run.

This is corner "B" with nothing to wear.

IMG_0653_zpseofayfqh.jpg

These are some of the bends for corner "B"

IMG_0655_zpsb8qctxgi.jpg

The starting of the cable run for this corner.

IMG_0654_zpsv5du85dn.jpg

The finished inside corner.

IMG_0661_zpsr0pm7rwd.jpg

The top of corner "B" dose not have any details to add.

IMG_0660_zpszrorvrlx.jpg

IMG_0657_zpsvwef1gsu.jpg

And the front side of corner "B".

IMG_0659_zpsuzjsvgxj.jpg

Now that I'm finished with corner B, I have started heading to corner "A". Corner "A" has the same elements that the other corners had, with a different top arrangement. With the end of this chapter in site and only a few days away, I have now started to consider the building of the external walkways. I will have to do several experiments to find the correct building procedure, and materials to work with. Maybe I'll post some photos of these as well. Anyway...I just noticed something just now...funny how when I'm building I can get tunnel vision and not notice things. It looks like the Crawler Gremlins have rearranged the furniture in the photo with the cab interior shot!! OOPS! I'll have to fix that. Be back with photos of corner "A". Bye for now.

• Like 3

:bye: Rich,

:newb: here and just stumbled on your build, I'm impressed, very impressed :worthy::worthy: .

You have certainly chosen a unique and challenging project and are making a darn fine job of it, something for us mere mortals to look up to and aspire to achieve one day.

Hope the build continues well.

Hey All,

Photos for today are the finishing of the cable chapter. Corner "A" went together as well as the rest of the corners.

Corner "A" empty.

IMG_0659%202_zpsunh60q28.jpg

Corner "A" finished.

IMG_0671_zpseyujxorx.jpg

And now all the corners done!! A,B,C,D

IMG_0677_zpsim5udnqt.jpg

IMG_0679_zpsjhvwi4h2.jpg

IMG_0678_zps7g2tjnzd.jpg

IMG_0676_zpsuractv7x.jpg

Now that all the corners are finished, I'm off to the walkway chapter. I'll post more in the morning. Thanks All!!

• Like 1

Pete, Alex, Manfred, Thanks you guys! The cable chapter is now over, but the final two chapters of this build could take some time.

Hey All,

So the start of the walkway chapter is going to be a bit like the rest of the chapters. I will have to replicate the building elements about a million times to get the walkway all the way around this thing. The two photos below show how the walkways are constructed. There will be all the web braces that hold the walkway upright, the support for the walkway grates, these two items can be seen clearly in the first photo. All the grating for the path, and then the elements for the hand rails.

dsc04816-ksc-looking-up-at-crawler-useme

index_zpss1puqrlt.png

And then there are the stairways to build also. I have started with the building experiments. In this first photo you can see the angle strips that I will be using. These are evergreen strips and when you look at the angle, you will see that the sides of this angle styrene measures 1,5mm. This is way to big for what I need, so I will be doing a lot of sanding to get these down to just 0,75mm.

IMG_0680_zps3572qm92.jpg

In this photo I have started with the web building. The support webs are going to be different shapes, depending on where in the walkway they are to be located. Also in the photo of the underside of the walkway you can see the different shapes of support webs.

IMG_0681_zpsv1a52ohp.jpg

The building of the support brace for the grates will also be time consuming. I have found some strips that measure just 0,75 x 1,0 mm to build the frame for this support.

IMG_0666_zpsvpag9lbr.jpg

Continuing the walkway support grid.

IMG_0665_zpsz1pch5zq.jpg

And here is the first of the walkway support grids. The support webs will be attached to the underside of this grid, and all will be put into place in it's proper location.

IMG_0667_zpsh0hggpkf.jpg

These strips are way to small to build a miter joint or a half lap joint, ect... just a straight forward butt joint, with all the tiny brace supports cut one at a time and installed.

That"s it for today. Unless anybody has a good idea of how to trim 0,75 off the edge of my angle strips quickly and easily. Thanks All. Until next time.

• Like 2

Hi Rich,

nice start with the walkway chapter, but I think you mean this not seriously with the "rest of the chapters". This is really a nice joke ... :yahoo:

The highlight will be the Truck chapter, that you know better than me. :yikes: But you have in Mischa's templates and his brilliant guidance invaluable assistance. :speak_cool:

Nevertheless, you'll need endless patience, but you're a tough guy, you can do that too, keep on modeling ... :coolio:

Thanks for the idea Pete. when I tried this, and looked real good, I discovered that, in the real world, the actual amount of material to remove was really small. So I just assembled the parts and then filed away the excess.

Thanks for the encouraging words Manfred. Sometimes it just seems that I have that many parts to build. And to the rest of you AFV guys out there, It's time to start considering the Truck Chapter. At this point I am starting to look for building materials. The first thing I will purchase will be the casting materials for the tracks.

Hey All,

My experiment went so well with the Walkway test, that I just used the same parts for the real deal. I wanted to show how the start looks.

So after I built the webs, I discovered that I could file down the edge of the webs to get to the correct size. Then it was on to the assembly of the first walkway support.

IMG_0682_zpsaw33siz0.jpg

After a couple of hours.

IMG_0684_zpsrturm4df.jpg

This where this part of the walkway will live.

IMG_0683_zps5oi6zflq.jpg

The start of the next piece of the puzzle.

IMG_0685%202_zpsq2qdhdoo.jpg

And this is where this one will live.

IMG_0686_zps6aitxbqi.jpg

I'm lovin' this new chapter at this point, but by the time I reach the end... more postings to follow, stay tuned.

• Like 3

I'm having a lot of fun with the Walkway chapter Manfred. The templates are designed very well. For those of you that don't know, I have built this model before with Microartwork's paper kit, in 1/96 scale. I had just finished with the lighting and had started with the cable chapter when I got the smart idea of taking my build to my friends house for making a video for the lighting (you tube). On the way back home I had to hit the breaks hard and crashed my paper build. Also I had no experience with paper kits, and did not take steps to protect the paper from the moister around here. Short story, I decided to rebuild at a larger scale and out of styrene.

Sleeper, Thanks for checking back!!

Ullieann, Please check back again, I have a long way to go still.

• Like 2