Apollo Crawler at 1/72 scale

MANFRED,

The larger scale makes this project so nice to work with. I am excedingly happy with this build so far. Right now 1/96 just seems very very small, and I can't even get my head around 1/144. Good job with your build!! Thanks.

HENDIE,

Thanks for the good words! The build will, as you know, be ongoing for some time to come. You have plenty of time to sit back and watch. Thanks!

HEY ALL,

Thanks to everyone who is liking this build, tell more people to follow along. The more the merrier!

So today I have finished the walls for the Engineers Control Office. The next three photos show various parts of the walls under construction. I have here, the installing of the glass windows, building the wall angles, the installation of some wall items like the office clock and pressure guages, and also all the painting of different surfaces. The building of these various items took a few days, but all went well and no major problems.

IMG_0071_zpsfda8d876.jpg

IMG_0078_zps6de6258f.jpg

IMG_0073_zps39ef4afc.jpg

And now, the walls of the Engineers Controll Office are all finished and installed at the proper locations. I have left some of the painting blank so the Controll Computers and office items can be glued into place without mounting to a layer of paint.

IMG_0081_zps8b92339a.jpg

IMG_0080_zpsa30d5ce7.jpg

The office space will have a bunch of equipment installed at a later date. I still have to build these items and then prep them for lighting. All that is still down the road aways.

IMG_0079_zps19d56cad.jpg

So now, I still have a few more walls to paint and install, but the major hurdel is now past for this part of the build. The remaining walls construction and install will be a bit quicker to finish, but still a few days worth of work.

Thats it for today. Check back soon with the finishing of the Interior Wall section. Thanks All for watching!

• Like 1

MANFRED,

I have looked at a several photos of the office interior. However the photos I have seen are of the Shuttle area, not the Apollo area. All the photos I have seen show that section of the wall painted to match the rest of the interior during this time. When you look at the research that Mischa did, this section of the wall is red. I'm not sure why, it just is.

Also as you might know, the interior of the Engine Room, in all the old photos, is all painted white. This would be a really boring color scheam tho. So some liberties have been taken to make things look better and more interesting.

HEY ALL,

A quick post for tonight, before nightynight.

This is the evolution of a fan box. The parts needed to construct this small box.

IMG_0095_zpsaaf17421.jpg

The box built with the install of corner bracing.

IMG_0096_zps5a1a19e9.jpg

The addition of the blade brace and the inside painted black.

IMG_0097_zpsc9710555.jpg

The install of the blade shaft.

IMG_0098_zpsba5a4bc2.jpg

This is the fan bracing.

IMG_0099_zps2a3738e7.jpg

The installation of the fan blade.

IMG_0101_zpsbfa9ae54.jpg

This is how I build a fan box. I have four boxes per fan, and I have four fans to build. 16 of these will take a day or two, and I will also show how I install these into the fans when I get the first four built.

Thanks for watching!

• Like 1

Rich,

Thanks to you I have now figured out

why this thing moves so slowly.

It's so that, in the engineers office,

No one spills their coffee.

Keep them coming. Looking Good!

Thanks PETE. No coffee allowed

Thanks SARGENT. I bet the noise level is outragious!

Edited by RichO

HEY GUYS,

So I got a little side tracked with my armor build. The construction of the fans continues.

These are the parts for the Fan. I had to build four Fan Boxes, and then the parts for the main box.

IMG_0134_zpsaed42682.jpg

Next I had to cut thin strips and line the fan input opening.

IMG_0135_zpsf0fb319c.jpg

Next, the risers for the fan screen.

IMG_0136_zpsc99bb163.jpg

This is what the main Fan Box looks like so far.

IMG_0138_zps863148f0.jpg

Next I had to install these corner bracers. This will help stiffen the box, and also I can set the depth of bracers to accept the backing of the fan without it falling through the box.

IMG_0139_zpsb722a77c.jpg

This is the Fan with the front side painted.

IMG_0140_zps84cffc51.jpg

Next I had to install the vent cover for the output side.

IMG_01402_zps4bfe57f5.jpg

This is the back side of the Fan. This side faces to the outside of the crawler and is the hot air output vent.

IMG_0142_zps60b8170d.jpg

These next photos are the finished inboard face of the Fan.

IMG_0144_zpsc72ec219.jpg

IMG_0146_zps2428effb.jpg

IMG_0145_zpsa81a1bc7.jpg

So, the total number of parts to build this small fan for the model is 102!! As you can see, it is only 3 centimeters square. I have three more of these to build. These will be installed to help vent hot air out of the main engine rooms. The Longitudinal Fans are installed at the four corners of the Crawler.

Thanks All, for watching. Thats all for now Bye.

Edited by RichO
  • Like 2

Hello Rich,

holy cow, I do not want to swap with you, what an effort for the fans, but it looks great. omgsign.gif

Hang in there, I stay tuned.

hallo.gif

Edited by roma847

See, this is what impresses me about this build. I don't know how much of this detail will be visible when it's finished but Rich will know it's there and that's the main thing. Plus there's plenty of photographic evidence of what's inside.

:popcorn:

706900main_CT%20Control%20Room-Full.jpg

An interior shot of the Crawler 's Engineer's Controll Office.

This shot is of the Engine Room.

2012_08_29_9_24web.jpg

In this photo you can see the Fan that I just built.

ctengine.jpg

In this shot you can see the red wall and more, in the Engineers Controll Office.

ctcontrol.jpg

Thanks for the request Manfred. It's always interesting to see reference photos.

Edited by RichO

Thanks Rich for the nice shots, very interesting and impressive. 377.gif

That makes your thread much more lively and interesting and brings this brilliant technology closer, to touch really. :coolio:

hallo.gif

GORDON, It's what's inside that counts.

MIKE, Thanks for the complement.

Carts, There is plenty more to come, Thanks

HEY GUYS,

A quick update for today. My fingers are sore and I need a short break.

This photo shows Fan parts.

IMG_0147_zps983526f2.jpg

And more Fan parts. More parts for the fans than most total kits. About 700 parts.

IMG_0149_zps14a8ca4c.jpg

I'll be back soon, Thanks for watching!

• Like 2

My flabber has never been so ghasted!

Finally caught up with 4 pages of astonishing attention to detail! Love the fans, love the corner pieces... oh hell I love it all! You and Manfred are totally bonkers, but its MY KIND OF BONKERS!!!

Kallisti,

I'm glad I could ghast your flabber!! People like Manfred and myself are just addicted to modeling. Like he says " It's like a drug ". If it's like a drug then I'm totaly mainlining the modeling maddness! Thanks for your nice words!

HEY ALLTOGETHER,

SO, the update for today is more FANS!! Thank you fans. I'd just like to say, I couldn't do this without the fans!

The first photo is going into mass production. There are so many parts that it is still going slow but steady. I have like, 28 fans in this photo, and a bunch of fan blades all under construction at the same time.

IMG_0156_zpsb8a7a1f3.jpg

These are the parts for the Diagonal Ventilation Fans.

IMG_0157_zpsee872c2a.jpg

The Diagonal fan under construction.

IMG_0167_zps6126e86c.jpg

More construction.

IMG_0168_zpsebff3784.jpg

This is the back side of the fan with the vents that go to the outside.

IMG_0169_zpsc8a2b4e5.jpg

The compleated Diagonal Ventilation Fan back.

IMG_0171_zpsb35479d0.jpg

And the compleated fan front (oops, I forgot the screens).

IMG_0170_zps4d1d8a76.jpg

I believe that this fan has sixty seven parts. I have four of these to produce. So I have four large engine room fans and four diagonal vent fans to build. And thats not all, so keep watching fans, thers more to come. Thanks All!!

Edited by RichO
  • Like 5