Canopy Masks - Eduard vs. Montex?

Rabbit Leader

All,

We all agree that there is nothing better than nice, straight and even Canopy lines.

I just wanted to canvas your thoughts on the pros and cons between Eduard and Montex Canopy masks.

I have used a number of Eduards masks, however I am starting to find them both a tad pricey and on a few occasions slightly too large (just a smidge - but enough to make a difference?). I have now noticed that Montex make a growing range of Canopy masks, however these seem to be made of a different quality tape.

Has anyone had any experience with using Montex masks? They seem to be almost half the price of what I can get the Eduard masks for so would also make it a cheaper purchase. This is ideal as I have seemed to acquire almost two of everything.

Thanks for looking / reading / possibly replying... Dave.

Hi Dave,

I used a Montex vinyl mask once, on the RS Models MS-405 - I used the canopy mask intended for the Hasegawa MS-406 I believe; the canopies should in theory have been identical and it fitted fine and worked well. With a little more care removing it afterwards I might have been able to re-use it too.

I agree with the pricing of Eduard masks - look at the price of the 1/72 Airfix 109E canopy mask and then look at the price of their Tamiya 109E canopy mask - what's going on there?

Anyway Alistair at A2Zee Models has a good selection of Montex masks in 1/72, 1/48, 1/32 and 1/24, why not buy one and see how you get on with it, as you noted one is hardly going to break the bank.

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew,

For the price of half a pot of beer, might as well have a go.

I like the thought of them being possibly "re-usable" - may come in real handy.

Cheers .. Dave

Eduard's pricing is echoed with their zoom etch sets - if you buy earlier masks/etch they are cheaper than newer ones. The Bf109 mask quoted above, is a good example. The only thing I can think of is maybe the design costs have gone up (paying the mask/etch designers more perhaps?) so the newer stuff costs more. I mean, once the design work is done, I can't see why it would cost more to manufacture a Bf109E mask, whether it's for a Tamiya or Airfix kit.

thanks

Mike

I used the Eduard masks for the first time recently, and it was a pleasant surprise how well they fitted, and the fact that they're kabuki tape gives you a bit of flex into the bargain. They were right to ditch the vinyl, IMHO :)

I've used both and the only thing that takes a bit of care is removing the Montex ones as they do settle down well and, being a bit thicker than Eduard, lifting the edge of them is not as easy. I've also had some of the Montex ones leave some residue behind when used over a Future coated canopy. Nothing that a clean afterwards doesn't remove but something to consider. The plus is that you can buy a whole masking set (canopy, markings and decals) for the price of the later Eduard ones. Eduard are pricing themselves out of the market for me at the moment.

Montex usually have interior masks as well so you can do the inside of your canopy nice and matt rather than the interior colour as the first coat on the exterior however, I do find the vinyl lifts after a while and as some of my build are glacial this can be a problem!

Eduard are more expensive but with the kabuki tape they stay as long as you need them!