1/72 Minicraft B-24J as a Liberator VI

A quick update:

I've re-done the bomb racks, as I wasn't 100% happy with them. Old ones on the left hand side, new ones to the right:

lib-143

These are ready to go into the bomb bay, which has had the central walkway added, including the three formation lights:

lib-144

Rear bomb racks added, as well as the extra vertical beams forward of the central supports:

lib-145

I'm going to leave the rear racks empty, and have the front ones loaded, so I'll add the front bomb racks after I've done some bombs to go on them. I'm going to use some R.A.F. 1000lb bombs from Airfix's Bomber Resupply Set, but I think that the SEAC also used U.S. pattern 1000lb bombs during that period.

One other thing that I need to do is figure out how to blank off the ball turret. Thanks to Matt Poole over at the RAFCommands forum, I've discovered that 159 Sqn's Liberators from that period had the ball turret removed to save weight and thus extend range, and indeed often their sole defensive armament was to have only the tail turret manned and equipped with ammunition. Saves a lot of weight leaving the other gunners and their ammo on the ground...!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
relinking images from Photobucket to Flickr
  • Like 4

Hello again

A quick update for today. I've assembled and painted the 1000lb bombs from the Airfix set and added them to the forward bomb racks. All the photos I've seen of RAF bombs on Indian airfields show them to be pretty filthy, so I added some weathering with chalks:

lib-146

These have been installed in the forward section of the bomb bay:

lib-147

lib-148

Note the pencilled in P and S on the temporary paper masks - it's easy to forget left from right when the planes upside down and back to front...!

I've also made a blanking plate for the ball turret. I've no idea if this was what it looked like, but it'll do, I reckon:

lib-149

More soon...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 6

Loving the finish on the bombs, they look amazing.

Too often bombs look clean and shiny despite the fact they've been rolled around bomb dumps.

The rest of your build is stunning.

Karl

It's time for another update...

I'd forgotten to add the lower access door under the rear fuselage. The fit of the kit part was pretty rubbish, and so I bottled out and put it in the open postion - it was a bit of a challenge to glue the open door inside the fuselage!

lib-151

I've also done the Quickboost props and spinners. here you can see how much needed to be removed from the prop blades' roots:

lib-152

and here are the four props ready for their manufacturer's decals:

lib-153

And at long last the wings have been added to the fuselage. It now looks like a bit more like a plane:

lib-155

lib-154

Typically, the starboard wing fitted perfectly, first time, but the port one was less co-operative, and need some (very) gentle persuasion... :banghead:

One the wings have set, it'll be time to find out if she's a tail-sitter...gulp!

More soon.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 4

Just read this all the way through, what a stunning, stunning build! I'm in awe of both your patience and scratchbuilding skills-wish I was that nifty with the Evergreen strip...

My girlfriend just looked over my shoulder and said "Why on earth does he put in all that detail when hardly any of it will be visible?"

I guess there's just no way some people will ever understand... :P

• Like 1

Time for another update...

Now the wings are on, time for some decals to be added. I've obtained the deal sheet from Airfix's latest release of their venerable B-24J, which has the SEAC RAF roundels and fin flashes, as well as a full set of airframe stencils. They've gone on really well, and a coat of MicroSol has bedded them down perfectly. Here are the props:

lib-156

And here's the upper surfaces with the stencils for the fuel fillers. I've toned them back a bit with a light coat of OD:

lib-157

The upper turret was removed by accident :doh: but it meant that it was easier to mask, and will go back on easily enough. The cockpit seats are now back after I took them out to avoid them being damaged during the painting of the fuselage.

An e-mail conversation with Matt Poole in the US led us to discovering the original image that was used inspiration for the nose art. It has been thought that the artwork featured the actress Merle Oberon, as she appeared in the film The Divorce of Lady X, but this image of Lynn Bari featured in Esquire and is clearly the inspiration:

http://wwiiletters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/1945-07-09-Date-Book-1024x731.jpg

I'd guess the artist who did the nose art would have stuck with the same colours, so I've amended the decal artwork so her dress is blue. Here's the Photoshop file of the amended nose art:

lib-159

I've taken an educated guess, and I reckon the mission tally panel would have been blue too:

lib-158

I'll need to get the decals re-run in the correct colours now. There's a photo in the Airlife Combat Legends book of KH408 which shows a repainted area behind the nose art, so this will need to be masked and painted before the nose art decal can go on.

More soon...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Firstly, Happy New Year to everyone! :cheers:

At last I'm back on the case at last after Chrimbo and New Year. All my modelling stuff had to go in the loft, as it was all in the spare bedroom and we were expecting three lots of visitors over the Christmas period. As it happens, none of them ended up coming due to unforeseen circumstances, but everything got put away, so my work area went from this:

workspace02

to this:

workspace01

All back in place now, so on with the build...

The revised decals arrived from DrawDecal, so the nose art, name and mission tally markings are now in place:

lib-160

I've also invested in some lovely waist guns, from MiniWorld, which I picked up on eBay. These little brass beauties came from Germany:

lib-161

I've made some mounting frames for them, and added in the handles with some plastic rod:

lib-162

Hopefully once they've got a coat of paint, they'll look pretty good.

More updates soon...

Cheers,

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 9

Those brass guns are superb! Much nicer than the resin guns I used on my PB4Y. Is MiniWorld the manufacturer, or just the seller?

Love that nose art decal, too. Very nice and in the 1940s style. Excellent work.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill

They're the manufacturer, from the Ukraine I believe. If you search on Google for Miniworld 7230a (for a fixed mount) or 7230b (flexible mounted) you'll find them. There's a seller from the UK on EBay.

Regards

Simon

• Like 1