1/72 Minicraft B-24J as a Liberator VI

Does anyone know what the grey thing is in the second image above? I've highlighted it here

Simon,

Not sure what this item is for certain but the nearest positioned piece of equipment that I can find in the pilot's flight manual is the navigator's heater. These were made by Stewart-Warner and fuelled with aviation gasoline piped from one of the engines.

Mike

PS Superb work so far.

• Like 1

There was a comment above about the Liberator being draughty. Apparently this was the case in Liberators fitted with nose turrets, something that was referred to in Martin Streetly's "Aircraft of 100 Group". The Liberators employed by 214 and 223 Squadrons had a fabric shroud over the turret which was doped over the forward fuselage. Sadly Coastal Command didn't employ that mod, so Simon's still going to have to amaze us with his skills there.

I'm not sure the 159 Sqn Liberators in the Far East had any sort of mod for the turret's draught problem - there doesn't appear to be anything in the photos I've found.

I've been meaning to take a look at the nose artwork, and finally got myself motivated. There's a slightly blurry photo here:

http://www.rquirk.com/159files/Carty/Lady%20X.jpg

But luckily there's a much better black and white photo in the Air Britain RAF Liberators book, so a quick scan, some Photoshop jiggery-pokery, and this is what I've come up with:

Lady-X

Colours are guesswork, but look reasonable. It needs a bit of fine-tuning, and of course I've got to figure out how to make a decal of it!

Simon

Edited by Simon
relinking images from Photobucket to Flickr
  • Like 1

Another quick update for today (cor blimey guv'nor, you wait ages for one, and then two come along together...)

The Hasegawa Emerson nose turret is complete, with a couple of extra bits added that Hasegawa missed off:

lib-78

lib-80

So, will it fit in the Minicraft fuselage? Will it 'eckers like - it's a combination of the base being a bit too wide and the aperture in the fuselage being a lot too narrow.

The solution (or my solution, anyway), was to firstly shave the sides off the turret base, which sits inside the fuselage aperture:

lib-81

Fortunately I hadn't glued it together!

and secondly enlarge the turret aperture in the fuselage:

lib-82

There's quite a lot to take off - the fuselage walls were about 1mm thick, and the sides are now wafer-thin in parts, but at least it now fits. Phew!

More soon

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 4

So, I think I've sorted out the nose art decal. I've had custom decals printed in the past by Draw Decal in the US, run by Greg Drawbaugh. His decals are printed using what is described as 'digital silk' printing, which is basically full colour plus white. The only proviso is that the colours need to be spot (solid) colours, so no gradients. Luckily, unlike traditional screen printing, you can run as many spot colours as you like.

So, I took the Photshop image into Adobe Illustrator, which has a nifty little function call Live Trace, which converts photos into vector images (i. e. solid colours), and this is the result:

lady-x-vector

It ended up being made up of about 20 spot colours, and at the size it will be used at it should look okay. I could have had literally dozens of colours, but it wouldn't have really been necessary. I also did the white 'Lady X' text, the serial number and a couple of odds and ends for KH408, as well as a couple of other items for other aircraft done on the same sheet.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon

I'm now moving on to the wings while I wait for a few bits for the fuselage to arrive. The rear of the engine nacelles on the kit are solid, but after an image search on Google, they need to be hollowed out. One image I found of the outer nacelles shows a strange bit poking out of the back - it looks like an upside down tray:

http://svsm.org/gallery/b24j/P1470429

What on earth is that? It looks like it's meant to be there, as it's held in place with brackets, but it looks a bit odd :shrug:

Simon

Looking closely at the picture in question, I am not so sure that the object is attached to those brackets. To me at least it looks more like a drip tray that has been stored there.

Martin

That's what I'd thought, but it's an odd place to put one, bearing in mind how far off the ground it is! There's another photo and it looks like it's definitely attached to the bracket:

http://www.dad.incomingwormhole.com/B-24/B24%20Supercharger%20Detail.jpg

Another view here which shows something slightly different

http://data6.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle/b-24j_44-44272/images/b-24j_44-44272_05_of_36.jpg

you can just make it out, but here's a cropped an lightened version:

outer-rear

Looks like a radiator...cooler for the supercharger maybe?

Simon

Edited by Simon

Here we are Simon - an extract from Granger's plans... and they're definitely oil coolers.

There's one also present in the inboard nacelles - it's just further inside and is parallel to the fuselage; it's just visible in the plans:

S1030480.jpg

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom - in that case, in it goes...

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Great work, you are an artiste!!!

Vis-a-vis the cooler issue, Quickboost makes a set designed for the Has kit, but which might make your job a bit easier:

http://www.quickboost.net/Obrazky/72290.jpg

Also, they make a set of turbocharges as directly for the Minicraft kit, that I can confirm are worlds better than the originals:

http://www.quickboost.net/Obrazky/72307.jpg

In fact, Eduard includes a set in their two B-24 specials.... B)

HTH

Byron

Thanks Byron. I've got the Quickboost superchargers, but hadn't seen the radiators.

I'd already made a start on the oil coolers whilst I've been working on the wings, so here's some photos of the progress...

Wheels wells with the Eduard etch added. I thickened them up by super gluing them to some 10 thou plastic card:

lib-85

rears of the engine nacelles hollowed out:

lib-83

and boxed in:

lib-84

Progress so far on the oil coolers and mounts:

lib-88

I think these will probably suffice instead of the Quickboost ones once they're tarted up a bit.

I've also made a start on the nosewheel leg. Here are the main components so far:

lib-87

I've got some resin replacement wheels and tyres on their way, so there will be more progress on the undercarriage once they arrive.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 2

This is simply amazing, even more so considering it's 1/72! Would you care to share your references for the interior details?

Edited by Space Ranger

Thanks! The best reference I've found so far is on this page - it's a great resource:

http://i-ota.net/B-24Witchcraft/

It has 360º views of various sections of the interior - I've just panned the camera round and taken loads of screen grabs, then loaded them onto my laptop. The laptop sits on my work table so I can use the screen grabs as and when I need them.

The also have a B-17 here:

http://i-ota.net/B-17Nine-O-Nine/

Cheers

Simon

Unbelievable modellling Simon. Would you care to share your technique for getting properly contoured bulkheads?

I have been using a contour gauge, but its really a bit clunky, wondered if you had a better way

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce

Yes, I use a contour gauge too. Like you said, it's a bit clunky, but it gives a rough idea. I take a contour, then use that to make a master cross section of one half of a fuselage, then use this to make the actual bulkhead - do one side, then flip it and make the other. Needs a bit of fine tuning, but seems to work okay.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 1