1/72 Minicraft B-24J as a Liberator VI

Great work! Have you seen these B-24 cockpit 360 degree panoramas?

http://www.stclairphoto-imaging.com/360/aircraft/B24/B24_swf.html This is the CAF B-24/LB-30.

http://placeknow.com/panoramas/united-states/tampa/inside-the-b24-cockpit-23719 The Collings Foundation B-24J.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Hi Bill

Thanks for the kind words and the links. I'd actually done a search for B-24 cockpit 360º views yesterday, and come across both of these! The B-24J one has been especiallly useful.

Regards

Simon

• Like 1

The 360 of the B-24J is perhaps slightly misleading, as the starboard side of the bulkhead has a gap at the bottom, which from references some Liberators seem to have and some seem not to have it. The 360 view of the B-24J has been very useful in fitting out the radio operator's room, as well as all the mounting and gubbins for the upper turret.

The LB-30 360 view shows how different the layout is behind the cockpit seats - the bulkheads are to a completely different layout altogether, but the floor looks like it extends the same distance backwards behind the pilot/co-pilot seats as the B-24J...

Simon

Superb scratch building work going on here, very inspiring! I have an Eduard 'Mission Centurion' boxing of this kit (I think that is the case) and I'm a l'm most reaching for it! Looking forward to seeing your progress on this build.

As promised, an update with the latest bits and bobs.

Firstly, I've started on the Radio Operator's room, behind the cockpit, with the side ribbing and general gubbins:

lib-20

The olive green bits on the bulkhead represent canvas screens and are made of paper, airbrushed with a thin coat of acrylic paint.

This is the new floor for the radio room, as well as the new floor for the cockpit itself. I invested in a Trumpeter Rivet Maker, and it works pretty well. Not sure I'd have the confidence to try on a curved surface though!

lib-22

And finally for this update, these are the bits and bobs ready for the bulkhead between the rear of the instrument panel and the bombardier's station.

lib-21

One thing I've realised is that there's not going to be much room for weights being added in the nose section, so Plan B is to add them to the engine nacelles, and Plan C is to put a 1/72 scale crate under the tail bumper...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
relinking images from Photobucket to Flickr
  • Like 8

Some more progress to report (or should that be regress...?). I wasn't happy with the frame for the ball turret, which looked very clunky. So, after a bit of surgery, here's the elements for the amended version:

lib-25

Assembled and painted:

lib-24

And test fitted in situ:

lib-23

It still needs some fettling and detailing, but it's better than my first attempt.

More progress soon...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 9

I've been following this since the begining and your work has left me pretty much speechless. I thought I ought to comment as I suspect I'll be completely incapable of typing with what'll be coming.

Using the words of the classic - this is madness!!! So clean, so smooth, so easy looking, yet i know it is not easy at all.. What are you using to glue the evergreen ribs and such? I m usualy using tamiya extra thin glue but it sometimes make mess.. So wonder if you are going with CA glue? But anyway awesome work, there is B-24 GB in plans i think for next year, this ll be big inspiration not only for me i guess :)

I use Revell's Contacta, applied to the Evergreen strips with a wooden cocktail stick, while they're held by a small blob of Blu Tak - it lets you apply as little as is needed, and hopefully avoid making too much mess.

I've found that my 2 most helpful household items are cocktail sticks, which are great for applying glue to small parts and for holding small pieces while you paint them (wrap a small blob of Blu Tak to the end, and they'll hold them pretty securely), and wooden clothes pegs, sawn at the tip to make pointed ends - they're cheap and not too strong so they can hold quite delicate parts.

I'm beginning to think this would have been a lot easier if I'd got the Monogram 1/48 kit...my eyesight ain't what it used to be :nerd:

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Today's update is about the radio room behind the cockpit. A couple of views of the completed bits:

lib-26

lib-28

And some work on the upper turret, which will need to be shoe-horned in...

lib-29

lib-27

More soon...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 5

I'm looking to find an Emerson nose turret for this Liberator to replace the Minicraft kit's dubiously shaped one, and I understand the Hasegawa 1/72 B-24D kits have them spare.

They are parts F17 (the clear section), and parts D3 (front section) and R28 (base). I've posted a request in the Wanted section, but no luck so far, so if anyone has the bits lying around left over form a B-24D, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Simon

I'm looking to find an Emerson nose turret for this Liberator to replace the Minicraft kit's dubiously shaped one, and I understand the Hasegawa 1/72 B-24D kits have them spare.

They are parts F17 (the clear section), and parts D3 (front section) and R28 (base). I've posted a request in the Wanted section, but no luck so far, so if anyone has the bits lying around left over form a B-24D, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Simon

Simon,

Actually, I was just thinking yesterday about how sad it would be to see all that amazing work you have done go to waste for lack of decent nose and tail turrets, almost wrote at the time, but wanted to check to make certain that I remembered the actual part counts correctly.

Send me your address, and I will provide you with one (1) complete Emerson turret (which, BTW, contains a whole lot more parts than the ones you listed), and one (1) Consolidated A6B turret.

The parts will be surplus to my needs, and I know they will look very nice in your Liberator.

Byron

[email protected]

More progress to report...

Upper turret guns and upper section done:

lib-31

The photo-etch bit is from a set for the Revell Lancaster that I had spare.

Both upper turret sections together:

lib-32

Unfortunately the kit's upper turret glazing was now too small (oops... :doh: ), so it's now a 'high hat' version. New glazing is a spare upper four-gun turret from Revell's Halifax, (which happens to exactly the right diameter) with the frames sanded off and made more round:

lib-33

It's still a bit too flat on top, but I think it will suffice...

On to the cockpit, and the pilot and co-pilot seats:

lib-34

and the cockpit getting furnished out:

lib-35

The rudder pedals and consoles are from the Eduard set for the Minicraft kit.

Here's the cockpit and radio room section test fitted to the fuselage, together with the upper turret:

lib-37

lib-38

Next update soon.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 7