Italeri 1/72 Scale C-119C Flying Boxcar **FINISHED**

Mike N

Well folks, just to bring you up to date, I've sprayed the red...

DSC05664-Copy_zps60107841.jpg

and here's the big reveal:

DSC05665-Copy_zps71c9d143.jpg

DSC05666-Copy_zpsdc3840c3.jpg

DSC05667-Copy_zps82afaacf.jpg

DSC05668-Copy_zps37577d90.jpg

Normally if this was the result I'd be going to lie down in a darkened room, but this time I'm delighted with it!

On with the decals! :)

Mike

Yes it is the sort of thing that (unplanned) would send me up the pub to drain my sorrows, or in this case, up the pub to celebrate. Lovely work on looks like a really interesting kit to build.

• Like 1

Just a quick update - the decals are now on :)

I used Xtradecal national insignia as the Italeri ones had silver outlines on the wing items. The rest of them are the kit decals, and I have to say they were absolutely brilliant! They were both thin and strong, top marks to Italeri!

DSC06047-Copy_zpsb788bc51.jpg

DSC06048-Copy_zpsda028f5c.jpg

DSC06049-Copy_zps83613621.jpg

Really it's just the undercarriage to sort and the odds and sods and then it's done, hopefully before the deadline!

Thanks for looking.

Mike

• Like 9

Many thanks for the kind comments and encouragement everyone :)

Well, this should be the last update before she's completed. Most of the remaining parts are here:

DSC06056-Copy_zpse7cd8956.jpg

At the top left are the aerials. It appears that C-119s had various aerial fits, even on those serving in the Korean War. The horseshoe one is from the kit. The 'bump' part (of which there were two) was cut off the fuselage halves as I thought its location wasn't right. Finally, the teardrop aerial was from the spares box; it's disappointing Italeri didn't include this as some aircraft had two of them, and all C's I found had at least one.

The new cowls with this kit have the engine moulded in, which I find odd as it would surely have been easier to simply use the existing separate engine parts. Thankfully, they've done a good job with it.

The final comment is on the props. These look to be wrong for the C variant, which were more slender; an annoying omission by Italeri as I can't find any suitable replacements. I believe the C-69 used the same props but that's not much use! One day I might whittle them down to be more representative, but for now I've painted them up to pass muster.

In the coming days I'll finish the last bits, I'll even meet the deadline!

Thanks for looking,

Mike

• Like 1

Superb work! Is the Micro Mask easy to remove? I've always used Maskol but I bought a new bottle recently and it's now a pig to peel off, it really clings to the surface and any recesses. On my 1/144 stuff it's become fiddly to remove without the risk of breaking something :(

Thanks Speedman!

It's the first time I've used it. It stuck to the windows very well (almost too well in fact!) but came off relatively easily from the wings when dabbing with masking tape. Some took quite a lot of attempts to remove, and I'm sure there's some still on...!

Mike

Well, in the nick of time, I've finished it!

DSC060612_zpsa2c9b423.jpg

Not 100% pleased with it (as always!) but like the look of the finished model and got to try out a new technique successfully so I'm happy.

DSC060722_zpsedd4cad8.jpg

DSC060592_zpsf38e8508.jpg

DSC061222_zps25628054.jpg

DSC060962_zps687d312d.jpg

DSC061112_zps2c84e688.jpg

DSC060762_zps1a345e93.jpg

DSC060712_zpsf5c30e35.jpg

DSC061212_zpsb352f3eb.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Mike

• Like 11