What is needed to make the 72 Airfix Buccaneer into a FAA Buc.

aerofan

Maybe this was already asked but I can't seem to find it. So I'll ask. What do you have to do to make the 1/72 scale Airfix RAF Buccaneer into a RN one (not the Mk.1 with smaller intakes)? Did the FAA ever use the bulged fuel tank in the weapons bay?

• Like 1

Maybe this was already asked but I can't seem to find it. So I'll ask. What do you have to do to make the 1/72 scale Airfix RAF Buccaneer into a RN one (not the Mk.1 with smaller intakes)? Did the FAA ever use the bulged fuel tank in the weapons bay?

In a nutshell..no. You can build the Airfix S2 OOB for a FAA S2D, as would have flown with 809 NAS from HMS Ark Royal ca. 1977-8. The kit has the un-bulged bomb bay in it. For earlier examples (S2,S2A) just watch out for antennae fit, Fin mounted FWR and RWR pods, weapons,pylons etc., Also the prominent bulge in front of the intakes were a late addition. There were also differences in the seat used and canopy MDC's ..............too much to detail here

For more details check out the http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/ site.

Good question and one I never even hoped to ask because , unless it's semi accurate...I would never insult 'the body immaculate' unless I saw an immaculate 'Buccaneer light in heaven'.

I don't think the Bucc will ever be modelled right in my lifetime, and I challenge anyone to demur...I'll drink many cups of tea if you wish with you...perhaps we can search together: but the only way I'm going to be happy is to buy the CMR variants...3D laser scan them, and then improve on their copies. Go CMR...I will, I have no option...they're the best in 1/72 and I don't have laser scanning capability.

But seriously, the Airfix Buccaneer, as described by Bill is kosher as far as I know...I'm not au fait on a couple of points but go his way, and if you've got a hotline to god...tell Airfix to pull their finger out...I'll buy ten if they do! Maybe a hundred...at least I'll be able to do 801 as a composite and then die happy!