YF-16.....Back from the Dead !

HI Folks,

I started this Hasegawa YF-16 with the intention of modelling the first prototype(red, white and Blue layers) so sprayed the lot first in primer then stupidly thought I'd use some 'poundland' white rattlecan gloss to cover the kit. It didn't come out to bad till I tired to do the red and blue layers....then all hell broke loose......mainly runs and paint creep. I was ready to scrap it.

I then decided what the hell I'll try doing the 2nd prototype, which is in a more forgiving blue/cream camouflage. Unfortunately the white auto spray was a pig to get off and I lost a lot of panel lines/details, so it looks a bit toy like. The cream is probably a bit too dark also. But I think I just about rescued it......................think I'll keep away from 'layered' colour schemes though :banghead:

See what you think.

_DSC0026.jpg

_DSC0027.jpg_DSC0025.jpg_DSC0029.jpg_DSC0028.jpg

• Like 2

Nice recovery! I've been there before, it's not a pretty sanding through the goo... With the panel lines, if the paint's not too glossy, you can always go back with a fine mechanical pencil and lightly replace some of the salient panels. The results aren't bad--you can smudge a few areas with a rolled corner of a paper towel to replicate grease streaks on flight control etc, then clear-coat everything. Weathering & panel lines at a single step, no scribing!

We don't get to see nearly enough of these early '16s, thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Arie

Hi Saddler:

Very well done mission!!! This rescue effort-resurrection work you did is wonderful!!! Now if you want, just follow the advises Arie did for you and voilá!!!!, you will have a nice rescued show stopper in any place you take this work.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!!!!!!!

Hi Saddler,

Don't give up on those layered colour schemes there's some very attractive ones around.

I like you use 'Poundland' white and still do, although in the early days i had the same experiences especially with the paint getting underneath the white and as you say "all hell breaking loose". Make sure your 'low tack' masking tape is firmly stuck onto the white and if you are spraying - little is best......

Smart looking F-16.

When you are masking a hard line, spray along the masking with the first colour, then spray the next one. It will seal the edges and any "creep" will be invisible.I am going through similar trauma with an F106. Tamiya gloss over Modelmaster is a bad idea. Don't ask me how I know that!

Robin

• Like 1

When you are masking a hard line, spray along the masking with the first colour, then spray the next one. It will seal the edges and any "creep" will be invisible.I am going through similar trauma with an F106. Tamiya gloss over Modelmaster is a bad idea. Don't ask me how I know that!

Robin

Done that...it was the first & last time I used Tamiya, probably should have blamed myself, not the paint ;)