Zoukei-Mura Ho 229

RichO

Has anybody heard about a release date for Zoukei-Mura's Horten 229?? I got no news yet when this might happen.

Wow...it certainly is gorgeous Mike. I'd be tempted to leave her unskinned, as in 'on the production 'line'.'

Always loved the look of their kits...not rich enough to buy their Skyraider however, yet!

Thanks for the link.

I also wish I were rich enough to buy their kits. I don't know if I would buy them, I just wish I were that rich! Seriously, though, I'd buy their Skyraider. I'd love to see them do an Il-2 Shturmovik - I know it won't happen, but I can hope anyway. The Ho-229 certainly looks impressive, but I prefer aircraft that actually flew.

Regards,

Jason

Jusk got the alient airframe construction book and won the design notes book for the He 219 'uhu'

And it looks stunning - realy clear tips that will cover any model.

But my really question is I have seen posts on here somewhere that there are some uk stores/sites that stock there kits as looking to try and get the UHU or the Do335 when thats out but who are the uk sellers of these kits as do not want to have to ship from the US or Japan for something that is in this price range?

Already checked hannants but they don't!

P.s. sorry in advance if high jacking.

Edited by Fire-fox

Sly <REMOVED>! With the gorgeous innards and the clear skin you are tempted to build two. One for the sleek beast it is, and one for the sweet detail.

But for the sleek beast any other good kit will do, so :P

Edited by Mike
Please don't swear

Sly <REMOVED>! With the gorgeous innards and the clear skin you are tempted to build two. One for the sleek beast it is, and one for the sweet detail.

But for the sleek beast any other good kit will do, so :P

Or get one and some of the upgrade parts ( guns, ext) and to paint interear and clear skin one half and half painted skin or only half skin it ;)

Edited by Mike

I had thought of a diorama with all three of the found versions. One fully skinned, one naked, and one pratly framed. It seems to me that the Allies found these in such a state when discovered. Finding photos of the production hanger is a tuff one tho. This could be a really cool diorama tho!!

Chaps,

Thanks for the link. I am an admirer of Z-M and their owner, and am in no way trolling, but . . .

I had a look at the shots and particularly the head-on ones, and although it was difficult to tell from the angle, I was surprised that there was no 'washout' visible. Washout for the aerodynamicists among us is a reduction in the incidence of the wing from root to tip (from the front, the leading edges of the wing tips appear to be 'bent down' towards the ground). It is my understanding (although I'm no expert on the '229) that tailless swept wing aircraft - or at least those without artificial stability - need some way of being stabilised in pitch. From my simplistic understanding, washout is one way of achieving this. I believe the Me163 used this technique.

Of course, there may be other way of stabilising tailless planforms in pitch more subtly: reflex camber on the trailing edge of the outboard wing section or other changes in wing section from root to tip, but I would have thought they'd show up in a head on shot.

So, does anyone have an idea how the Horten was stabilised in pitch and is this accurately represented in the test shot pics? My pics of the '229 are inconclusive.

regards,

Martin

P.S. I also sent a response to the "Old Man's Blog" asking the same question, so if I get a reply I'll put it on here, but in the meantime . . .

P.P.S. I have no axe to grind, so I'm agnostic on the question. Just interested in the answer, whatever it might be.

One purpose of washout (and I'm no aerodynamicist) is to delay stall of the outer wing (and hence ailerons) till after the root. That way, even though the main wing is stalled, there is still a measure of control.

So, does anyone have an idea how the Horten was stabilised in pitch and is this accurately represented in the test shot pics? My pics of the '229 are inconclusive.

The Horten concept goes for a bell-curve shaped distribution of lift along the span. At design lift the outer wing panels are supposed to create neither positive nor negative lift. This is to avoid what is called negative roll-yaw coupling, which normally turns the nose of a rolling aircraft towards the outside of the curve. Not something you want in an aircraft with no vertical tail surfaces.

To make a long story short: Yes, every Horten aircraft has quite noticeable amounts of washout. Usually in the order of magnitude of 5..7° or even more. Lippisch designs also have washout, but considerably less, relying more on reflex in the wing section.

Edited by Hotel Papa

I had thought of a diorama with all three of the found versions. One fully skinned, one naked, and one pratly framed. It seems to me that the Allies found these in such a state when discovered. Finding photos of the production hanger is a tuff one tho. This could be a really cool diorama tho!!

The photos are out there, here are a few that give you an idea of how things looked at the end:

493962600_ffb5a6bde7_o.jpg

Go229V2c.jpg

horten_ho9-10.jpg

Horton229V4.jpg

Horton229V5.jpg

go_229_hangared.jpg

Horten_Ho9_hangar_1.jpg

I think your idea of a diorama with several planes at different stages of production is a good one. If I'm not mistaken (and I quite often am!) the planes that were found at the end of the war were not all the same variant. I'm sure there are others here who know this story and can provide more detailed information.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

BILL, and CVRLE,

What great referencea!! The production hanger looks like my work space, That should be easy to recreate.

Hi,

As per the undernoted link, cost is around £120. Enjoy... ;-)

Regards,

Paul

http://www.boystownmilitaryminiatures.com/ZOUKEI_MURA_132_WW11_GERMAN_HORTEN_229_PREORDER_APRIL/p1144420_11787839.aspx

• 4 weeks later...

I've just pre-ordered mine............now have to wait for the release!!!!

Am sooooo excited! :bounce::yahoo::bounce:

Just wish wish I hadn't seen they were doing the Do-335 next, wonder if Santa is taking orders yet??? :hmmm:

• Like 1